Bricked Wii - Need help reviving it

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ViciousXUSMC, Jul 30, 2009.

Jul 30, 2009
  1. ViciousXUSMC
    OP

Newcomer ViciousXUSMC Advanced Member

United States
    I had previously had 3.2U and HBC along with Gamma .3 on my system and it has been working great. I had some people tell me to update to 4.1 and use one of the new USB loaders that "I would not regret it"

So I waited until a good guide came out for the process and found the ultimate system menu guide posted here and tried to follow it.

I went from start to end even though I could have started about half way.

I had one error when trying to downgrade IOS 16 but it didnt seem to have any effect. I opted for the offline system menu update method and when I used the program to download the files I accidentally chose 4.1E not 4.1U. Keep in mind I was busy with the kids running around and just doing this a few minutes at a time. I saw "J" and "E" and thought "Japanese" "English" it didnt occure to me it was region not language.

I finished the guide and that also included installing preloader .29 and all seemed well. When I went to go into my wii settings I got the opera browser error thing.

I googled up on the error and saw it was an error for having the wrong system menu region on your system... so back to google and found out that my system menu should have been 4.1U not 4.1E.... easy fix right?

Downloaded the 4.1U files, put them on my SD card went into WAD manager, uninstalled 4.1E and then installed 4.1U. Reboot and no system menu!

I have been though the process a few times now, installing every single IOS/cIOS and tried several system menu versions. Nothing I do gets me back to working.

The Good - I have bootmii installed this is the only reason I can even use my Wii right now, I can boot directly into the homebrew channel to do things.

More Good - Boot into HBC from BootMii and then run NeoGamma and I can still play my games! Once the game starts I can even pair/use my wiimotes like normal.

The Bad - I did the NAND backup first before anything else but right after I installed the wrong system menu version I went to restore and it said it could not find my backup??? somehow it never saved to the card or I erased it when placing files on the SD card.

More Bad - I guess due to the corrupted system menu my wiimote WILL NOT work it refuses to pair with the system no matter what I do while in the HBC so that means any program that requires the use of it I cant use. Seems all the Walinko stuff use the wiimote, lucky for me I found a modified v1.5 WAD manager that added gamecube controller support so that has been what I use to try to fix this. But I cant use many other important programs.

So thats the situation. All I can think of doing now is to use somebody elses NAND backup to resstore my system, I heard this may work and that it may not work.

Also I thing it maybe possible to get a working system menu I just need to find what the one important file/step I am missing is to make it work.

As a last resort I am thinking of trying SoftMii or something similar that uses its own custom system menu and IOS files, but before I do this I want feedback on if you guys think it will work, and the installl process can not require the wiimote, it has to work with the gamecube controller.

2. Unfortune

Member Unfortune GBAtemp Fan

Pakistan
    Try running anyregionchanger or waninkokos firmware downgrader then downgrade to 3.2.

or maybe you can install freedom since it replaces the entire system menu. (you can still boot games from it)

3. ViciousXUSMC
    OP

United States
    I may have found a crappy version of anyregionchanger it had a bunch of odd file types/names. I named the single .dol file to boot.dol and the program ran but it gave me an error.

I do not think I can run waninkokos firmware downgrader so far all of his programs need the wiimote to operate but I will check when I get off work just to be sure.

4. antonkan

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    After you use AnyRegionChanger or Waninkoko's Firmware Downgrader, use Wii Region Changer by Waninkoko if you get an Opera page error when trying to get Wii Settings. Click here to download

5. ViciousXUSMC
    OP

United States
    anyRegionChanger is not working for me, I get an error, the firware downgrader I have not found a working download link yet but I am in fear that it will require the wiimote to navigate.

Since I have installed the system menu and its not loading, my guess is that I am just missing some of the IOS files it needs?

Is there a list of all the IOS files a system menu needs to run and like a master download for those so I can install them as .wads?

6. jabmaster2

Member jabmaster2 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Get nus downloader for pc. U can download all the ios there are and it can make em into wads.Install em in order them
    go for a sytemmenu u install. If I remember u ur the guy with a really jacked up wii. Oh and dosent the offline package of the ultimate 4.1 guide come with all the system menu wads. Check that out cuz I remmeber it having em

Ps u can't use someone elses NAND with bootmii it's impossible. I'm also 99percent sure the softmii package will do nothing for u at all. Good luck

7. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Here's a list of sys menus and IOSes for them:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu

If you installed 4.0 or 4.1 menu, you need IOS60 for it to work. Also, did you skip verifying when you made that nand backup? If so, that's why it's missing. It's a bug in bootmii.

NEVER uninstall the system menu (or menu IOS). Just install a new one (and its IOS of course) over top of it. They'll overwrite the old one.

When you ran anyregion changer, did it mention an error about settings.txt? If it's missing, the wii won't work at all. (it goes missing when you uninstall system menus...).