Hardware Bricked Switch: eMMC Memory Chip Locked or Broken? How to Fix?

An_Absolute_Madman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Sorry if this has already been discussed but I can't find it anywhere.
My Nintendo Switch, that was bought on day 1, recently stopped working. Not sure exactly what caused this but it should be noted that I do use 3rd-party software to run CFW on my switch. I've run custom firmware for about seven months without any issues.

So, one day, I decide to play hyrule warriors for a few hours. After I'm done, I close the application and put the switch into it's dock like ya do. A few hours after that, I decide that I want to play SSBU so, I take my switch out of its dock and it won't light up. Nothing is happening. No RCM, no logo, nothing. Whenever I plug it into the official dock, the green light lights up for a split second then turns off.
I tried all of the button pushing and holding things and adapter plug-in things and none of them worked. Couldn't find any solutions online so I resorted to opening up the switch to see if I could find any signs of damage and I couldn't find any. Everything was in place and looked fine. I know the switch is on because the battery still makes that high-pitched sound when you put your ear up to it. The battery is working.

I ended up ordering another hackable switch from ebay because I figured that the motherboard was the problem. When it arrived, I got right to it and replaced the motherboard from the new switch and put it in my switch. Nothing worked. the same thing was happening. So, out of curiosity, I placed the new eMMC internal memory chip in my switch and took out the old one. Pressed the power button and it worked, partially anyway. It would just light up with the logo and then go black. I put the old eMMC chip in the new switch to see if it would work and it did not. Acted the same as the old switch. I booted my switch into RCM mode and restored the switch's rawnand.bin and BOOT0/1 (yes, I backed up the new switch's rawnand and BOOT0/1 files before doing any of this, along with its bisckeys, etc.). It should also be noted that the new switch was on firmware version 7.0.1 and my switch was on 6.2.0 after having downgraded from 7.0.1 using ChoiDujour. (I had prevented fuses being burned before updating since 6.0.0)
After that, my switch booted up fine in OFW and everything worked. I then proceeded to order a new eMMC memory chip for the new switch so they both would work.

The next day, i picked up the switch so that I could boot it into RCM and install my copy of SSBU on it. (It's a legit copy. I lost my gamecart.) I powered off the switch by holding the power button and selecting the option from the homescreen, put in my jig, loaded up TegraRCM, held down the Volume Up button, plugged in the USB C cable running from my PC, and the SAME THING HAPPENED! It won't turn on. Has the exact same symptoms. The eMMC memory chip won't work with the new switch either.

I cannot find a solution for this besides replacing the memory and restoring the old NAND again but I don't want to do that if it keeps bricking itself. Anybody, have a solution? Can I fix these eMMC chips somehow or at least be told how to prevent this from happening with future eMMC chips? I have no idea what is even causing this.

PSA: I have a solution so, if you have a similar problem, this may be your answer. My problem was that I downgraded my switch and tried to cold boot it (boot normally without RCM or CFW).

READ THIS:
Capture.PNG

You can still boot into RCM (My jig was just shit and I thought that wasn't the issue). You can always boot into RCM unless it is a battery or some sort of power failure. It's called "Recovery Mode" for a reason. Just keep trying to push it into RCM.

Last edited by An_Absolute_Madman,

Onlyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I also had jig issues, now rcmx86 internal installs for me :3

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah I also had jig issues, now only rcmx86 internal installs for me :3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum