Hacking Bricked my wii with no backup - "system files corrupted"

Beebo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright here is the breakdown of what happened.

A couple of days ago i decided to update my wii from 3.2E to 4.1E. My wii had already been softmodded with homebrew channel, backuploader etc., but I hadn't really touched it for half a year. I used this guide: http://home.comcast.net/~syndre/forever/wii.htm and it worked like a charm except I couldn't use the wii shop channel. So after searching the internet for a a couple of days, I decided to try and reinstall the hbc and the cios stuff etc. from the beginning by using one of the guides on this forum.
I found this guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=187534 and followed it very carefully starting from this page: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ha...uide/the-basics (I followed the offline instructions, since my hbc had some issues connecting to the internet). Now here's where things took a turn for the worse.

After performing this step: 3. Run the Trucha bug Restorer with the Homebrew Channel. Press B (this will set No Ios Reload). Now wait a while (till the text changes) and press 1. Choose Downgrade IOS15. Now you have to choose Load from SD two times. It will do its thing and return to the HBC.
the hbc was flipped upside down. At this point I started to worry but I figured that it was probably only temporary, so I continued with the last steps, which includes installing Waninkokos cIOS, but I skipped step 7 since I am already on version 4.1E.
Here's where I stand right now: When i try to boot into the wii system menu, I get the message system files corrupted in distorted letters. I do however have bootmii and can get into the hbc (which is still flipped upside down), but here's the real kicker. When I followed the guide mentioned above, I didn't actually check how bootmii prevents bricks, so I have no backup of my wii. Yes, I am really really stupid and a total noob for not backing up my wii with bootmii. I am kicking myself so hard right now, you wouldn't believe it and you are welcome to point and laugh at my folly.

What I ask of you now is this: Is there any way to save my wii? I repeat, I have no backup of my wii. Right now I am looking at this item: http://savemii.net/, which seems like it could restore my wii, but I would rather not have to buy it, if I can avoid it.

PS. I apologize if there is another thread with the solution to my problem. I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't find anything.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Upside-Down Homebrew Menu Fix
• Simply Run Dop-IOS (v7 or above).
Note: Dop-IOS MOD also works, you just need to choose IOS 249 before doing the following steps
• Choose to install IOS61
o IMPORTANT: When asked to "Apply sig hash check?" choose NO.
• Press home to return to HBC.
o Don’t have internet on your Wii and missing the above files from your SD Card? Download the latest version of IOS60 to your SD card using NUS Downloader.
• If your homebrew is still upside-down, go to homebrew channel and hit the home button, it will tell you in the top right corner what IOS homebrew is using (or the bottom right if Homebrew is upside-down). If it’s not using IOS61, run Hackmii installer again (via homebrew or repeat one of the exploits) and reinstall homebrew using IOS61, do so and your homebrew should now be right-side-up.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Don't panic, you can still get into HBC, which means you are not bricked!

1st, create a backup now, to get back to the state you are in now.
2nd, never ever upgrade via nintendo, that will screw your BootMii ==> brick.

What was the step you skipped? Something related to system menu or preloader? What happens if you hold reset on booting the Wii (without BootMii sd card inserted)?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
now to fix the system files corrupted message.

use wad manager or dopios to install your system menu IOS again (IOS60 for 4.1 and 4.0, IOS70 for 4.2, make sure u are not installing the latest stub of IOS60). If you're using preloader, the IOS has to be trucha bugged and ES_Identity bugged. Also reinstall your system menu wad (get it using NUS downloader)

If all else fails, look into betwiin, which will allow you to restore some1 elses nand backup to your wii, this should be a last resort as it still has some bugs

Posts merged

looks like u got wiipower on your case, listen to him, he's out of my league, lmao

Beebo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Don't panic, you can still get into HBC, which means you are not bricked!

1st, create a backup now, to get back to the state you are in now.
2nd, never ever upgrade via nintendo, that will screw your BootMii ==> brick.

What was the step you skipped? Something related to system menu or preloader? What happens if you hold reset on booting the Wii (without BootMii sd card inserted)?
Alright, I have backed it up now.

The step i skipped was this one 7. [If you are below 4.1] Run wad manager 1.5 and choose IOS36 (or 249 if you installed Waninkokos cIOS). Leave NAND emulation as it is and choose SD card. Then install the system menu wad. When its done, press home to exit.
from this page: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/hacking-guide/trucha

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Did you have preloader? If yes, just run the preloader installer again, and your system menu will be back. If not, you can try a few things as long as you don't do an online update, you can't mess your Wii up further as you have some backup now.

To get HBC to display correctly again, just look what it says which IOS it is using, most likely IOS61 or IOS36. Get the latest version of that IOS with NUS Downloader, let NUS Downloader pack it into a wad and install it with WAD Manager.

Dmon84

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Start some app like DopIOS to reinstall the corrupt IOS(s).
If you don't know which, then i would take PimpMyWii as it has a option (the first i think) to ckeck and fix all IOS(s). Let IOS30 or IOS61 Unpatched and reinstall the HBC with the hackmii installer. Then go on with the steps to install CIOS (222, 249).

Beebo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Did you have preloader? If yes, just run the preloader installer again, and your system menu will be back. If not, you can try a few things as long as you don't do an online update, you can't mess your Wii up further as you have some backup now.

To get HBC to display correctly again, just look what it says which IOS it is using, most likely IOS61 or IOS36. Get the latest version of that IOS with NUS Downloader, let NUS Downloader pack it into a wad and install it with WAD Manager.
I do have preloader, but I'm not sure I understand. You want me to run the installer to the preloader from the hbc and that will fix my systemmenu?

QUOTE(Dmon84 @ Oct 26 2009, 09:46 PM) Start some app like DopIOS to reinstall the corrupt IOS(s).
If you don't know which, then i would take PimpMyWii as it has a option (the first i think) to ckeck and fix all IOS(s). Let IOS30 or IOS61 Unpatched and reinstall the HBC with the hackmii installer. Then go on with the steps to install CIOS (222, 249).
I didn't know that the problem was corrupt IOS, I have to emphasise, I am a total noob at this, so some step by step instructions or links to what you're talking about would be nice if it's not too much of a bother
smile.gif

I'll try and look up PimpMyWii and see what thats all about.

Dmon84

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiPower said:

Try that first!

If it doesn't help, start PimpMyWii 1.3 and choose option 1 "Pass the test and fix problems".

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok you have preloader and then you installed an IOS60 with trucha bug, but without ES_Identify capability. That's why you get that error message on system startup. Just run the preloader installer again, and it will patch ES_Idenitfy capability into your IOS60.

And about the HBC issue, it's really just what i wrote, google the app(s), read a little and do it yourself, that will help a lot in the future.

Beebo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, it worked! Thank you, you guys are my heroes!
biggrin.gif

Now I just need to get that damn wii shop channel to work, it keeps kicking me back to the system menu and I really want to play majora's mask

But seriously, thank you very much.
smile.gif

Beebo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, thanks. I'll try that. It's going to have to wait for tomorrow though, I have to get up early for class, but I'll post tomorrow evening if I run into any significant problems. Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr