Hacking Bricked my Wii trying to downgrade it.

naysko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So today I tried to downgrade my Wii from 4.3E to 4.1E using DOP-Mii and this ( ) guide. Difference was, I used v16 and have an european console (he has U). While downgrading the IOSs, everytime i did it i got a -16 permission denied error while trying to read/write the NAND files (or something like that). Everytime I tried to do it again, it worked fine. Then I attempted the System Menu downgrade. I was kind of an idiot and didnt inform myself, as in other websites its expaines DOP-Mii is dangerous and caused many bricks and bugs. So I started the downgrade and after downloading, starting the installation I got the -16 error, as expected. I tried again, .. boom, code dump appears (the app failed i guess). So I powered off my Wii and when I powered it on again.. well, the disk drive does the reading sound, but blackscreen. Cant access recovery menu with GC controller, so full brick. I had bootmii installed, but only as IOS I guess, since when I boot my Wii i only get 1 quick flash instead of the "needed" 2. Priiloader is gone since the app probably crashed the moment the old System Menu got deleted - deleting Priiloader or, well, any preloader. I'm not sure if I should try SaveMii. I've tried several methods that would've required me to have bootmii as boot2 or priiloader or recovery menu, nope, nothing worked even a bit. I used 3 sd cards (16 GB SDHC Micro-SD with SD Adapter, 2 GB SD and 4 GB SDHC).

Please help, thanks!

Reactions: Momed

Alex4U

i like pancakes
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
SDHC is not recommend for this...
I think you wii is dead.
Priiloader is gone...
Bootmii is gone too...
You have a NAND Backup...?
You can use it for recover you data to another wii...

naysko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't have a NAND backup, I don't really care about the data anyway. Just maybe I could save my Wii, since I don't really play it that much and buying a new one wouldn't be worth it.

Oh well, back to PC I guess.

Alex4U

i like pancakes
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes... but you can use you Wii bricked for a emergency... like LEDS , Laser is usefull! Disc Drive, etc...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh! And if you have the AC Adapter, RBG Cables, you can use it to you new Wii or Wii U... (or you can sell it, you decide)
And why not buy ONLY the wii, because you have AC Adapter and RBG cable?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't have a NAND backup, I don't really care about the data anyway. Just maybe I could save my Wii, since I don't really play it that much and buying a new one wouldn't be worth it.

Oh well, back to PC I guess.
Do you have a dump of the Wii's keys (using xyzzy)?
If yes it's possible to unbrick with a hardware flasher.
Why were you trying to downgrade in the first place?

Alex4U

i like pancakes
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May I ask WHY you want to downgrade to 4.1? I installed everything I could possibly want on 4.3..

There used to be false claims on Youtube that its better to be on this certain version of a Wii, or have claims like "You can't use this if you have this Wii Version." Based on when it was posted.

Trust me when I started out modding on the Wii my head was spun trying to figure out which is "The best" version.

Reactions: bkifft and Momed

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There used to be false claims on Youtube that its better to be on this certain version of a Wii, or have claims like "You can't use this if you have this Wii Version." Based on when it was posted.

Trust me when I started out modding on the Wii my head was spun trying to figure out which is "The best" version.

I get that but why use a random video tutorial on YouTube without reading everything on this wii subforum? It should be common sense that a video from like 5 years ago could very probably be very outdated?

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that but why use a random video tutorial on YouTube without reading everything on this wii subforum? It should be common sense that a video from like 5 years ago could very probably be very outdated?

I had no idea GBATemp was a thing until three weeks later after I installed HBC. I follow tutorials from 2016/2015ish becuase I'm more of a visual learner. I would never follow a tutorial from 2012, or any previous years.

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
what does the led of the wii show? does it starts the screen? do you use scart or composite cable? have you got a gc controller?
you can try to set priiloader/preloade/bootmii but it would only work if you have it installed before... i the wii's small led still goeas green you might need the scart cable, it means it losts it's settings.
if the drive led flashes blue then there's hw failure wich means the bt module needs replacing most likely. if main led doen't show at all it's the power supply and if it turns green or red right after turning it on, the software is corrupt, and you can get only there with said preloaders... if you had a said preloader installed and did not nandclean or format wii system then it means you can get it back and running by installing the right files on your sd-card.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the future use modmii you be safe trust me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can easily brick a Wii with ModMii as well as any other tool that modifies IOSes. The problem is there was no need to downgrade the system menu and it failed.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not going to judge here but you can use any method. Wouldn't recommend using ModMii but if you really want to. Then go for it
I would highly recommend using Multi Mod Manager for downgrading. But still, don't tell me I did not warn you for not taking precaution to what may happen with a Wii.

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not going to judge here but you can use any method. Wouldn't recommend using ModMii but if you really want to. Then go for it
I would highly recommend using Multi Mod Manager for downgrading. But still, don't tell me I did not warn you for not taking precaution to what may happen with a Wii.
modmii is a pc software for getting the right packages, multi mod is what modmii prevers when installing.
i've used a lot of ways to get one modified modmii, pimpmywii (warning not recomended since sometimes it failes to download complete packages and still tries to install those), multimod, cios installer, ios236, whatever software i've seen i've tried out on my own wii first... never had a full brick to any of them except for one that already had a modchip inserted... did sometimes use a trick to get it back working though...

Last edited by Jack Daniels,

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the repair disc for wii's only work on first batch of nintendo's modchip still needs your wii to boot, the options of @Momed won't help if you bought any wii third batch... a later model than the black ones came out (even the later white ones had it) no modchip nor does a special or official repair disc work since nintendo scraped the function since this part of the firmware in the wii was abused by hackers for bootmii... the secret boot combination also was removed... i used the secret boot version once wich tries to format the wii but doesn't reinstall the firmware/ioses and well that doesn't repair a full brick... tried bootmii as boot2 this worked perfect but can't be done on all wii models and as ios or used priiloader those were working fine as long as i didn't install multiple mods in a row since there needs to be at least one working ios between 30 and 58.for bootmii/priiloader the easiest way tu use it is with an wired gc controlle (original is the best choice)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1