Hacking Bricked my N3ds, can anything be done?

Eterniter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So, i bought a N3ds XL today @ 9.9 firmware and tried to downgrade it. After several attempts with sysUpdater, i decided to try SafesysUpdater. After about 2 minutes it gave me an error, told me to shut it down and now the system will not go past a black screen after i boot it up! Is this a hard brick? Is there any to recover from this?

HariGp

Trophies
XP
Country
India
So, i bought a N3ds XL today @ 9.9 firmware and tried to downgrade it. After several attempts with sysUpdater, i decided to try SafesysUpdater. After about 2 minutes it gave me an error, told me to shut it down and now the system will not go past a black screen after i boot it up! Is this a hard brick? Is there any to recover from this?
Try booting in recovery mode - A+R+L+Up(DPad), could be a case of frankenfirmware. Try to open something like miiverse.

Eterniter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks for the suggestions! No sd worked like a charm, but what can i do to downgrade at this point? Delete the folders on my SD and try the process again?

D

Deleted User

Thanks for the suggestions! No sd worked like a charm, but what can i do to downgrade at this point? Delete the folders on my SD and try the process again?
Out of interest, when you go into system settings now, does it say 9.2?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

You'll probably want to run @zoogie's Downgrade Checker to see what sort of frankenfirmware you're working with.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/potenti...after-downgrading.410075/page-10#post-6006406

If it turns out your NATIVE_FIRM ended up on 9.2's instead of 9.9's, you can use this to continue: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-r...mware-w-o-upgrading-to-10-3-or-higher.413368/

D

Deleted User

You may have to set up *hax again as if you are actually using a 9.2 N3DS. That's what I had to do when I had frankenfirmware.

HariGp

Trophies
XP
Country
India
No, keep them there. First check if it was downgraded completely or not, usually some system apps won't open if it is a frankenfirmware.

Try this: downgrade_check

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You have a frankenfirmware. You're only solution to get a cfw on that console is to get either cubic ninja (ninjahaax) or Zelda oot (oothax) and run homebrewmenu and downgrade again.
Your kernel (native_firm) is now 9.2 but your browser and system settings are still at 9.9 so the apps give you a black screen (cause is different encryption keys on firmware below 9.5)

If you don't have access to either the games or sky3ds and not willing to pay for them, your only option is to use the recovery menu (mentioned above) and install fw10.5 and wait for an downgrade exploit.

Last edited by GothicIII,

HariGp

Trophies
XP
Country
India
For the record, it doesn't let me enter system settings now :X
Any way you can access Ninjhax or OOThax? You have a case of frankenfirmware :/ If you don't have either of those and aren't going to buy one, then you have to boot into recovery mode and update to FW10.5 :(

Edit: Ninja'd :ninja:

Last edited by HariGp,

Eterniter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I see how it is, nope, don't have access to either of them, just got a 3ds today to mess around with homebrew and install a cfw at a later date but it seems i messed up! I might update to 10.5 as Gothic suggests above after all.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I see how it is, nope, don't have access to either of them, just got a 3ds today to mess around with homebrew and install a cfw at a later date but it seems i messed up! I might update to 10.5 as Gothic suggests above after all.

Before you do that, are you able to use the Internet browser at all, still? If the browser got downgraded to the one from 9.2 you might be able to proceed still.

Eterniter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The browser is stuck as well! Curse my luck i guess! Updating to 10.5 and downgrading again is not a viable solution at the moment?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The browser is stuck as well! Curse my luck i guess! Updating to 10.5 and downgrading again is not a viable solution at the moment?

Not without a hardmod, no. There's no public exploit to downgrade 10.5 via software yet, either. I would suggest picking up Cubic Ninja or OoT (or even Sky3DS) if you can, rather than upgrading to 10.5, but that choice is up to you in the end.

Last edited by daxtsu,

HariGp

Trophies
XP
Country
India
No, not yet atleast(if you don't have a hardmod). Your only option is to wait for a downgrade method or get a sky3ds+ I'm afraid

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No it won't work. I had this case myself. Without CN or oOT it's not possible to install cfw.
Root cause of this running the downgrade from 9.9 instead of 10.3. Many ppl say it's bs but it seems the semi brick rate is way higher for fw below 10.2. I downgraded 3 3ds and one was on 9.9 and it semi bricked.

Eterniter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I tried updating to 10.3 first, but sysupdater kept giving me the "no cia file info" error for about 2 hours! So i tried giving safesysupdater a go after verifying that the CIA files i have are the correct ones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure: What to have for lunch [12:57 pm] [tap, tap, tap.. 💡] brb