Hardware Bricked my 2ds using browserhax, can I reset and start again?

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right so I have hacked many 3ds/2ds xl in the past, used to hard mod until I got an r4i card that made it easy.

But this is my first 2ds I tried to hack, I could not get it to load my r4 card so decided to use the browserhax method for the first time!
It all worked well until I got to the attached pic where you need enable nand and press start.
Now start is not working? So can not progress any further, I was not aware of an issue with the start button beforehand but now I can not get past this screen.

Do I have any options? Is hard mod an option or is there something easier?
Thanks for your time.
20201003_162255.jpg

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Right so I have hacked many 3ds/2ds xl in the past, used to hard mod until I got an r4i card that made it easy.

But this is my first 2ds I tried to hack, I could not get it to load my r4 card so decided to use the browserhax method for the first time!
It all worked well until I got to the attached pic where you need enable nand and press start.
Now start is not working? So can not progress any further, I was not aware of an issue with the start button beforehand but now I can not get past this screen.

Do I have any options? Is hard mod an option or is there something easier?
Thanks for your time.
What makes you think this is bricked? It's the normal Luma3DS settings screen waiting for the (Start) button. Since it does not seem to work provide a config.bin file in SD:/luma
A non-working (Start) obviously also explains failure to ntrboot.

Other issues you might run into:
  • (Select) also not working. Choose a Rosalina combo without (Select)
  • Luma chainloader not working because it uses (Start). Boot into GodMode9 by renaming Luma (boot.firm) into something.firm and put GodMode9 as boot.firm into the root of the SD.
    • Or consider switching to FastBoot3DS
============
If you're able to successfully do hardmods on 2|3DS consoles you might want to disassemble that unit in order to maybe find out why (Start) is not working. Would be interesting to know.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What makes you think this is bricked? It's the normal Luma3DS settings screen waiting for the (Start) button. Since it does not seem to work provide a config.bin file in SD:/luma
A non-working (Start) obviously also explains failure to ntrboot.

Other issues you might run into:
  • (Select) also not working. Choose a Rosalina combo without (Select)
  • Luma chainloader not working because it uses (Start). Boot into GodMode9 by renaming Luma (boot.firm) into something.firm and put GodMode9 as boot.firm into the root of the SD.
    • Or consider switching to FastBoot3DS
============
If you're able to successfully do hardmods on 2|3DS consoles you might want to disassemble that unit in order to maybe find out why (Start) is not working. Would be interesting to know.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the reply, I took it apart and cleaned the pads, it all looks nice and clean so need to delve deeper once up and running!
However can you explain more what you mean a config.bin file? Not sure on what where I will get this
Thanks

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the reply, I took it apart and cleaned the pads, it all looks nice and clean so need to delve deeper once up and running!
However can you explain more what you mean a config.bin file? Not sure on what where I will get this
Thanks
It's already a link config.bin. I made these for the first time almost two years ago for 2|3DS with broken buttons.

Try if it works for you.

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much!
That works, it boots!
Now I need to see why my start and select are not going?
Also, can I factory reset now to see if its a software or hardware issue?
Or will this cause issues?

Last edited by lpoolm,

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can factory reset a cfw 3ds with no issues on the cfw front. I don't know for sure whether initial setup will force use of the start button though. Can always make a nand backup beforehand.

It's fair to say that if this only happens in the Luma config/from payloads like gm9 (the buttons working fine from home menu) there's some non hardware issue going on. Seen it happen before but don't have a concrete reason as to why.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@lpoolm, the reason why ntrboot didn't worked on your o2DS is because the physical (START) and (SELECT) buttons are likely broken / have dead inputs.

You may need to disassemble the 2DS, clean the underside between the rubber pad & mobo with rubbing alcohol + q-tip, or replace the pad itself.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the help, i am up and running.
It was a strange one, when I first couldnt get past the start button option I took it apart, cleaned it but same issue? So thats why I posted on here.
Today I stripped it down put back together without start/select buttons/membrane and used tweezers to press buttons and it worked?
Thought it must be the membrane put that in and it worked, put back together and it still worked?
Not sure what went on but its going!
Thanks again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
    S @ salazarcosplay: and good morning everyone +1