Bricked console after using SX Pro, safe to send in for repair?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by aforty, Jul 15, 2018.

1. aforty
    OP

aforty Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    United States
    So I received my SX pro and even in the beginning it was acting strangely. It wouldn’t always power on, sometimes taking many seconds to respond to the power button. Today I downloaded snes9x from appstor nx. I launched it and my console froze dead on the grey screen right before a homebrew app launches. I gave it a few minutes but eventually held the power button down to reset. After that my switch never came back on. I called Nintendo and they gave me a repair order.

So I have two questions.

1. Can a homebrew app like snes9x cause my Switch to brick?

2. Is it safe to send my Switch to Nintendo for repair or will they see that it was modded and take some further action?

2. Petraplexity

Petraplexity Fidget-Spinning Spicy Memelord™

Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    Over There
    I doubt the homebrew bricked your system. It could be either a battery problem or SX OS.
    Just to be sure: did you try to charge the switch?
    Also, did you install AutoRCM? That could be the problem.

As for sending it into Nintendo, they'll know if they check. And they do. As for whether they'll act on it, I have no idea. But I strongly suggest not sending it to them. Just call them and cancel the repair.

3. anakinvm

anakinvm GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    did you install autoRCM from sx menu? it might have gone to RCM mode and needs you to send the payload and/or the battery could've died while on RCM mode.

sleepymanakete likes this.
  4. FierceDeityLinkMask

FierceDeityLinkMask GbaTemp's Official Deity

Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    Above All Others
  5. SoCALCat

SoCALCat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    United States
    I had a similar issue with my first Switch. This is what I did.
    1. insert your TX Dongle into the Switch
    2. Hold Vol. Up & Power button for 5 seconds
    Asuming that you installed AutoRCM and that your battery didn't go dead on you. That should work. If not! Go ahead and plug the Dongle into the Switch followed by inserting a Micro USB Cable from the Dongle to a PC. Maybe that will allow enough charge to the battery so you could uninstall AutoRCM Mode.

I know there's a post here about TX AutoRCM draining the battery even if you think that your Switch is powered down, and if it goes dead! You might have to remove the battery of a second Switch and install it on the modded one to get to power up. Or the easier way by using the Micro USB Port of the Dongle.
    Good Luck to you on getting your Switch back up and running...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Her is the link. Good luck to you
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/important-psa-autorcm-battery-warning.505192/page-9#post-8130503

Petraplexity likes this.
  6. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Worst they can do is send it back to you unfixed and ban your account linked to it (if they can even find that out from a bricked system). Up to you if you want to try it.

7. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    charge the dongle first...did you install AutoRCM?

8. aforty
    OP

aforty Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    United States
    Hey thanks everyone for the responses!

I did have AutoRCM installed. Im not near a computer right now but I will try the steps in the other thread as soon as I can. @SoCALCat your steps did unfortunately not work. Is the issue essentially that in RCM mode the battery can’t charge?

Sounds like there’s some hope for me to resolve the issue on my own though. I just have never done the PC method of injecting the payload.

9. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    If you send it in, there's some not zero chance you're getting back a patched unit.

10. aforty
    OP

aforty Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    United States
    Ok so upon more reading last night I figured out that it was likely the battery that had been drained and with AutoRCM enabled it wasn’t charging quickly. After some reading that it would charge but just very slowly, I left it plugged in overnight. This morning I was able to boot into the SX menu and uninstall AutoRCM. All is well now.

I’m glad I came here to ask, thank you all for pointing me in the right direction!

woofmute, Rel, RichKK and 1 other person like this.
  11. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    if you do kiss fusee-gelee/sxos goodbye maybe even your switch

12. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    autorcm wont have bricked your console, your battery is dead and it takes time to charge, nintendo shitty batteries for ya

without autorcm you will need the jig each time to boot.

to ensure console powers off, have the dongle inserted when you turn it off because the console reboots itself and trys booting again but with the dongle inserted it will then turn off or esle it will stay in autorcm

13. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Shitty batteries indeed. My 3DS has a battery life span of 4 hours, I swear. That or it could be wearing out since I've had it since 2011. It's a day one launch system. I think it's slowly dying. lol

14. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    This is really ironic considering what autorcm is.

monkeyman4412 likes this.
  15. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    Lol right?
    Just going to state it. But autorcm does brick consoles, that's how it is autorcm, it intentionally bricks to get into rcm mode. Now is it being a unusable brick? not really. Also armloader9hax technically also bricked intentionally for cfw.

read post above

read post above

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Jul 15, 2018
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted