"Bricked" 2DS by resetting console after MSET downgrade, trying to save it

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by StefanDesu, Feb 10, 2016.

1. StefanDesu
    OP

StefanDesu Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hi,

a long time ago (at least so long that I totally forgot what I was doing back then) I downgraded the MSET of my roommate's 2DS to be able to launch the gateway menu and boot into emuNAND.

A few days ago, she asked me if we could reset her console because she hadn't used it in a while and wanted to start fresh. I thought that nothing could go wrong with resetting the console if I still have the SD card. Of course I was wrong. Now, when I want to boot the console, the setup wants me to slide the 3D slider to max. So I'm stuck at that point.

Since you can still boot directly into a game, a friend sent me his copy of Cubic Ninja and our plan was to boot into the Gateway Menu and restore her NAND backup (which we have, fortunately). But neither the Gateway exploit thing works (restarts the console), nor ninjhax. ninjhax actually shows me the menu which asks me if I really want to install the exploit, but then gets stuck at 70%. I'm pretty sure the sysNAND is 8.1.0-18E or 8.1.0-19E, but both get stuck at 70%. I also tried some other firmware versions, still the same.

So here's my question: Is it possible to get this working? Am I doing something inherently wrong? Or do I really have to hard mod this thing to reflash the NAND? I'm not sure I'm trusting my soldering skills enough to not mess up the motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

schrmh and Maschell like this.

2. SANNIC789

SANNIC789 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
    use cubic ninja then give it hacks 2.5 and load decript 9 WIP or emunand 9 to restore the nand.dat i wode use (decript 9 WIP)

3. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    Didn't you make a nand back-up before hand? Just install the back-up into the 2ds with a hardmod.

4. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm pretty sure 2.5 requires sysNAND 9.0 or higher.

You could try OoTHax as well if you have a copy of that game. If you don't, buy a copy from a game shop with a generous return policy, use it to do what you need to do and return it within the time limit for no questions returns. I can't explain why Ninjhax doesn't work, maybe the console doesn't have access to the browser when it isn't set up yet? In any case, OoTHax doesn't need a browser, just need another 3DS with homebrew ability in order to load the exploit onto it.

5. StefanDesu
    OP

StefanDesu Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    As I said, the exploit won't install because it gets stuck at 70%. I'm not sure why this happens.

I would like to prefer not to hard mod the console because it's not mine and I don't want to completely destroy it. If nothing else works, I will resort to a hard mod...

Edit:
    This sounds like a good option. I don't have OoT, but buying it and then returning it should be possible (there's a 14 day return policy here in Germany). I do have another 3DS with homebrew ability.

Last edited by StefanDesu, Feb 10, 2016
  6. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Try decrypt9 for nand restore.

7. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    First the issue is being able to get into homebrew. After that I don't think the OP will have any problem working out what to do.

8. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Ah... I'm slightly confused at this ;p

9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    OPs console is soft bricked, and Ninjhax isn't working. We have to either find out why and fix it, or find an alternative to Ninjhax. I have suggested OoTHax as an alternative.

10. StefanDesu
    OP

StefanDesu Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    No big deal, my post might be a bit confusing...

Just another thing that I just thought of: Do I maybe need the QR code for some specific 4.5 firmware because I've downgraded the MSET to 4.5? I think I tried 4.5.0-7E, but it didn't work.

11. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    I doubt it since you didn't downgrade native firm.

12. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    I'm not sure if OoTHax is an option either, Ninjhax 1.1b was never ported to it, and as you said hax 2.x requires 9.0 or higher.

13. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh, darn. Didn't realise that. Hopefully someone can work out why Ninjhax won't work!

Edit: How do you run Cubic Ninja without the system being set up? I will experiment tomorrow with some o3DS' that I have that have less than 9.0 firmware and see what happens (since I know for sure what their firmwares are, I can eliminate unsuccessful guesses of OPs firmware being a cause of the problem)

Last edited by Quantumcat, Feb 10, 2016
  14. StefanDesu
    OP

StefanDesu Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hold A+B+X+Y+R and turn on the system, it boots directly into the cartridge. Thanks for your effort!

Edit: By the way, another error source that a friend has suggested was the internet connection. I could boot into recovery (L+R+A+Up I think) and it asked me to configure the wifi to be able to update the system. The system update itself fails, but it shows an internet connection in the top left so I think it should work. Or do you think this might be the problem? Getting stuck at 70% while installing the exploit usually means that the QR code is not the correct one though.

Last edited by StefanDesu, Feb 10, 2016
    Quantumcat likes this.
  15. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Just in case you need to get some particular game, remember many public libraries also have videogames in Germany. (at least in Braunschweig)
    So you could just borrow the game from the library.

Quantumcat likes this.
  16. Potato Hentai

Potato Hentai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2016
    United States
    Try to boot TheLegendofZeldaOcarinaofTime3Dhax

17. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I want to move to Germany!

Arubaro likes this.
  18. Potato Hentai

Potato Hentai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2016
    United States
    LIBRARES HAV 3DS GAMES?

19. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If you have read any of the previous replies you'll see that Ninhax 1.1b was not ported to OoTHax, and Ninjhax 2.5 does not work on less than 9.0 (OP has 8.1)

20. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Also Wii U, Wii, Xbox, Playstation, you get the idea.
    Yeah, weird I know. And nice.