BREIN want to forbid talk about illegal sources

Egonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
QUOTE said:
It is forbidden to report on the internet what is found in illegal sources. That seems to be Breins conclusion of the duplicate in the lawsuit between the copyright lobby groups and Usenet Community FTD. FTD offers a platform where people can point each other to material in the Usenet newsgroups to download. They don't give links or torrents, but only post normal forum posts. Although downloading is legal in the Netherlands (provided for strictly personal use), Brein demands that FTD ceases it's operations. The copyright group demands thus to forbid talking about downloads from illegal sources.

On May 15 FTD, the largest Dutch community of Usenet enthusiasts, started a lawsuit against the Brein foundation. The Usenet Community demanded that Brein would be forbidden to say that FTD engages in illegal affairs. They also want the court to confirm that downloading music and movies for personal use is legal, because Brain also raises doubt on this in the media.

In response Brein insist that FTD shuts down its platform. Brein continues to recall the court the uploads of illegal material on Usenet, ignoring that FTD had nothing to do with it. FTD is not a file sharing platform where up-and downloaders get linked together. When material is tipped on FTD, a possible upload is already done. This means Brein wants to make FTD responsible for what others did before it was written about in FTD.

Brein repeats its accusation that FTD makes works public and would thus violate the Copyright Act, which is obviously wrong since there is nothing to download via FTD. FTD provides only a place where people can read about which material is downloadable on Usenet. In all cases about this conflict, it was said that the offering of such information does not violate the Copyright Act.

With terms like "access key" and "road map" Brain tries to cover up what really happens at FTD: people reporting what they see on Usenet in ordinary Dutch, so that others (legally, for own use) can download this. There are no hyperlinks, torrents, NZB-files or other technical possibilities to be able to download files directly from FTD. Brein says thus that it should be forbidden to talk about downloading material.
Source(It's in Dutch, translated it myself)

If this would happen, GBATemp and nummering game releases would indeed be illegal (IF
wink.gif
)

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Mehh, I always knew something like this would happen.
I guess they couldn't stand seeing sites like this, talking about illegal stuff without technically doing anything wrong.
laugh.gif

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BREIN need to stop because it's just speech what harm can it do in this case, it isn't like there are threats to the government or other forms of terrorism.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FEFL said:
If this site is on a US server, this site should have no chance of being shut down. I don't even know what BREIN stands for, but I already think they're really, really lame.

It's on a French server.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
FEFL said:
If this site is on a US server, this site should have no chance of being shut down. I don't even know what BREIN stands for, but I already think they're really, really lame.

It's on a French server.
Then that means we don't really have the 1st Amendment on our side, do we?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hop2089 said:
FEFL said:

It's on a French server.
i don't think it is anymore i read they bought their own server and changed.

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
What assholes man. Shit.

BTW, Brein stands for:
Bescherming Rechten Entertainment Industrie Nederland
Which means something like Protection of Entertainment Industry Rights the Netherlands.
Brein is the Dutch word for brain.

I doubt they have a brain at Brein though.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tbh I think BREING is more anoying than people that pirate, can they please just go bankrupt and leave us alone. taht would make the world such a happier place

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended