Homebrew Breath of Fire 2 on DS

Predi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
First of all: Sorry for my english. It's not my native language and i've some problems with it. But i hope you can understand my request.

Like the Topic says:

i want to play Breath of Fire 2 on my DS (i own a R4DS and use it with ysmenu) but i dont know if its possible. I heard about a method to emulate some SNES games on the DS but didn't find out if BoF 2 working with it. Is there another method(i own the cartridge but my SNES is broken) to play it on my DS or is it hopeless?
I love this game and i want to play it again... hopefully there will be a remake some day.

Maybe you can help me with it, it would be really nice!
Thanks

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
for DSi users. use iPlayer
for DS Phat/Lite Users. Use a Slot-2 Flashcard.
there are some different cards out there. just google and you will find what you're looking for.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing the SNES version pretty well on SnemulDS. It runs, tell us what the exact issue is. I even got the retranslation to run (had to make a preliminary save on a PC emulator to bypass the code check though).

I think you need to play around with speedhacks to keep the game from freezing after battles and such, but the SNES version should run pretty well in the emulator. Some minor effects are missing, and background layers are never perfect, but it runs quite well.

Or you can run the GBA version via a slot 2 card. Or use iPlayer's GBA emulator. I'm not sure how well the emulator will play it though, it has issues in a lot of games.

Predi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you!
I will try the snemulDS method and for the safety the Slot -2 Method , too.

I don't have a exact problem, i only wanted to know if there a method to play the game on the DS without difficult workarounds.
smile.gif

Thanks again, maybe someone else have another method or something helpful.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah I see, you didn't KNOW if it worked on the emulator. Well i can verify that it does. Granted, i have not beaten the game, but i have gotten fairly far enough to judge it. I will say this- don't use savestates, it will cause the game to freeze often, especially after battles of when transitioning from towns. Just use the ingame saves, they will work fine. Either the clean, unpatched rom will work, or the translated one (i'm partial to the fan retranslation hack, they really cleaned up the font and all the translation errors and such). But to use the translation, you will need to make a srm file (get past the first code check screen) in an emulator. The code check fails in SnemulDS. If you use the original version though, it will work perfectly, without having the code check issue.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I could not get the SNES version to run without totally barfing on me, so I am playing the GBA version with Slot-2 devices. Works fine.
While I would definitely like to try the retranslation, I am a little afraid to try the SNES version, as the supposedly reduced encounter rate of the GBA one is already a little on the high side.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did add the run button into the retranslation. It's not just a simple translation hack, they did all kinds of neat things to the game. They made the text windows have a gradient blue and transparent appearance, added a run button function like the GBA port, redesigned the menu a little bit, and added a kick ass new intro "video" with lyrics (which may have been from the original Japanese version, dunno). At any rate, it's currently the definitive version to play. And i never minded the encounter rate. When you're toughened up, just hit auto battle to kill everything fast.

And I can assure you that the game works quite well in the newest SnemulDS. It's really fun too! Usually hacks will fail on that emulator, but this one works quite well as long as you create a save in an emulator first to bypass the code check. Just play around with the speedhacks and don't ever use savestates, it won't ever freeze if you do that.

And for the record, i'm not a big fan of the GBA port. It suffered from the now-traditional SNES-to-GBA palette washout that they all seemed to have. The music isn't quite as good either. All they really added was the run function and tweaked the battles to give you more EXP and be easier. I didn't like that much. They also didn't even change the translation at all. There was even a bug later in the game where a yes and no answer will be inverted, so it will do the opposite thing you say, and it wasn't fixed for the GBA release... meh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse