Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that's good, my friend needs it. and it's kind of sad that team xecuter gave up, I knew all along there's money to be made off modding this thing. now someone will just have to figure out how to use this to piggyback bios so you can boot any game from memory stick.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sweeeeet!!

Now I can play all those games with high firmware requirements.
grog.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just as I was trying to convince myself not to invest in a decent soldering iron (my last one died rather uncerimoniously).

A nice GBATemp review would be good although I will probably end up doing this for a few people and will share my thoughts/experiences with it.

As for that video it was OK but the comments following it were genius: it has been said many a time but to people posess no sense of humour, either that or fanboys rule the world.

accolon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is great news! I got a lot of money for my 1.50 PSP on eBay a couple of weeks ago, good thing I didn't wait any longer to sell it. As soon as this chip is out, nobody will pay an extra charge for a special firmware version.

brandonpate

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Undiluted Platinum is a flash replacement meaning that your psp will boot through it once installed, not the nand chip which holds the firmware. The bios on the UP chip will let you choose whether to boot normally from UP or bypass it and boot from the nand chip that Sony's firmware is normally stored. The chip will have a usb 1.1 connection that runs to it which can be placed in the battery port of the psp. That usb connection is what is going to be used to change the firmware on the UP chip along with other things. Also 754boy seeing as how it is a flash replacement sony can't do a thing about it because they can't stop something that doesn't require their fimware to do. If sony creates new firmware now people will just decrypt the update eboots and take the parts they need to form their hybrid firmware for UP. Once this is released there is nothing Sony can do to stop the homebrew scene or even tempt them to upgrade.

Nenyana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, those guys at Sony sure know how to respond quickly when the competition turns things up a notch.Â
rofl2.gif
 What's the battery life situation on a PSP these days? Has it ever been improved, or do you still need a spare battery to finish a 2hr movie? That would seriously affect my personal response to this modchip news.

The battery situation of the Psp has improved, you can buy an internal replacement battery that is the same size as the standard one for $20 which is 2600mAh. I don't know how long it lasts in practice but your Psp will claim a 7hrs battery life time.

kennyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
true.....but let's make it clear for the pirates here.....you still can't run new iso dumps regardless of the mod chip.

Just basic homebrew. And that's good in the long run (not to me through)

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
true.....but let's make it clear for the pirates here.....you still can't run new iso dumps regardless of the mod chip.

Just basic homebrew. And that's good in the long run (not to me through)

You can... The modchip gives you total control, so people can eventually create custom firmware that'll load any kind of homebrew/iso
wink.gif

kennyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
er.....there wouldn't be a need for the mod if there actually was the chance that custom firmware could be created to load iso

the mod just allows you to boot up 2 versions of the mod.....let say you have a ver 2.7 in the set memory and 1.5 in the mod memory. u can play original 2.7 games but not 2.7 isos in either firmwares. One problem is with the ways the umds are compiled i.e. their prxs if you are familiar...

of course the future cannot be foreseen but so far no one has created a custom firmware that allows all isos to run. All existing methods are rudimentary to say the least. Much confusion imho.

edit : Not forgetting the fact that playing catch up with Sony regarding firmware updates and new games and their requirements could be draining to say the least. I just wish the same convenience for the psp as for the DS.... but hey, you can't wish for the cake and eat it too right?
smile.gif
grog.gif

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
"let say you have a ver 2.7 in the set memory and 1.5 in the mod memory. u can play original 2.7 games but not 2.7 isos in either firmwares. One problem is with the ways the umds are compiled i.e. their prxs if you are familiar..."

You don't need to play it on either.. You just load them on the custom firmware that'll be released
smile.gif

"We have also sent a few prototype units away to some of the scene's best software hackers in order to give them a headstart at working on custom flash replacements - cant wait to see what people will come up with!"

kennyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
then why not just load the custom firmware onto the set memory? It'll function the same wouldn't it?

Its not like you can mix and match with the different firmware....you can only choose 1 to boot up.

Not trying to be a prick but can't get my mind around the logic.
smile.gif

Cos kernel access was removed in the 2.0+ updates and that was the thing that enabled isos to run.

Anyway hope your optimism is correct.... i too wish for playable psp iso to proliferate.... gtg sleep. talk again tommorrow.

brandonpate

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You will be able to run any iso or homebrew if you have UP and you have a custom firmware with the correct prxs to load whatever you wish to load. The reason why this can't be done right now though is the prxs control how the psp operates and right now if you get rid of certain ones in the process of making your own custom firmware you will end up with a brick. Since the UP chip will function somewhat like a flash drive data storage wise your psp does not need to be running to modify the files on it including the prxs you will need to run your custom firmware. This means that you will be able to run any process that the psps processors are capable of and there is nothing sony can do to stop you because from this point on you will be able to take the prxs you need and leave the security ones behind. With this every game will be available to psp users in working iso format on the day of release.

djnaff

Trophies
Website
adrenalin23.co.uk
XP
Country
I feel this only has use for devs and people with 2.1 fw or higher
as the keys to decyript the 2.6 fw or higher have not even been found
makeing a custom fw would need them.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
I feel this only has use for devs and people with 2.1 fw or higher
as the keys to decyript the 2.6 fw or higher have not even been found
makeing a custom fw would need them.

Actually, this has a use to everyone. 1.0-2.0 users can't have access to 2.5-2.71s features. With this, they can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night