Breaking News: R4 banned in UK

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by caffolote, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Okami Wolfen

Okami Wolfen GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2009
    United States
    Ohio
    Good thing I got an Acekard instead.

2. kiafazool

kiafazool GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 21, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    i wish my local store had that
    i have to go about 25km from my house till i get to the nearest store that sells r4.
    if canadian's want to know its the "Pacific Mall"

but i have more good news
    i just found a guys selling a m3 lite NOT near my house but in toronto
    IM GETTING THAT PIECE OF M3 LITE
    i emailed him and waiting for a reply
    he's about 70km from my house or 1hour
    i wish he is able to come to toronto because i cant drive

3. DarkStriker

DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Mar 15, 2009
    Norway
    NIKU!
    Are the ps3 games real?? [​IMG]

4. wolffangalchemist

wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    middleofnowhere, AL
    just peel of the sticker to a real ds game and put it on the front.
    it's not like the local law enforcement will reinforce this ruling anyway.
    i doubt they will go around and search ever 12 to 18 year old in the UK.

5. BobTheJoeBob

BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

Aug 2, 2009
    London
    Guys it's not illegal if you already have them, they just can't sell them anymore or advertise them. If you already had an R4 before the law was passed it doesn't matter.
    Also, it's not really gonna change anything, I'll still be using my Acekard as much as I want.

6. DeadLocked

DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

Aug 18, 2008
    Britland
    Still not gettin rid of mine

7. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I think pretty much everyone in this thread has misunderstood. Its not that R4s have been made illegal, its just been ruled that they were always illegal, because they bypass Nintendo's security system on the DS/DS Lite/DSi. Circumventing the security system has presumably always been illegal. Its not that a new law has come into effect, its just that a judge (or jury or whatever) decided that an already existing law applied to the R4. And that means that all flashcarts (and actually Action Replays/iCheats etc.) are all illegal too, under an already existing law. At least, that's my understanding from the articles I read.

8. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Former DS-Scene Staff

Mar 20, 2010
    Netherlands
    Vlissingen
    Why outlaw the R4? That's one of the stupidest things I ever saw Nintendo doing. I mean, come on, it's the most crappy card ever. Or Nintendo isn't aware of other cards then R4's but that's just stupid. I don't understand why they aren't doing any research on DS Flashcards.

9. DarkStriker

DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Mar 15, 2009
    Norway
    NIKU!
    They are fully aware of all the other carts but when 88% of existing flashcarts bears the name of R4. Which do you think they aim it on? Is like saying will you stop piracy in Norway when you can do it in UK and stop 4 times as mush pirates there than Norway

10. Theraima

Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Jan 4, 2009
    Finland
    Clouds
    Blaming piracy? Imo thats just an excuse, they could stop doing shovelware and concentrate for some while.. Besides, they didnt ban possession of R4 [​IMG] Wonder what Ninty will do next?

11. Overlord Nadrian

Overlord Nadrian Banned

Banned
    Jul 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Riviera
    Funny thing is: the official (at least it says it's official) French Nintendo magazine (which was apparently recently overhauled to make the kiddies buy it, it's complete shit now) keeps mentioning flashcards and AR's as useful devices. Seriously makes me doubt the 'official' stamp on it.

12. B-Blue

B-Blue slut

GBAtemp Patron
    B-Blue is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2006
    Antarctica
    Good news.

13. Crimsonclaw111

Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2010
    United States
    I remember Nintendo used to have an "Official Seal of Quality" a while back. I think they dropped the "Quality" for "Approval" because people kept buying shitty games and raging.

14. Uncle FEFL

Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

Sep 7, 2009
    United States
    PM me for Social Security information
    It's not like it truly matters. Now, UK sellers won't be making money. People in the UK will still buy them from other sites.

15. acidonia

acidonia Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2008
    The Official Seal of Quality was just saying they got Permision to publish it on a Nintendo Console nothing at all to do with the game begin good or crap.

16. Logan 5

Logan 5 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    United States
    R4 should be banned from GBAtemp.net as well. Good riddance.

17. tuddy666

tuddy666 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2008
    somewhere in the UK
    They've only outlawed the sale of "R4" cards publicly. While this probably -does- apply to other brands of flashcart (Supercard, Acekard, M3 etc); these brands have, in the mainstream, some degree of obscurity (none of the "casual" gamers in my family know what a DSTwo is, for example). While I'm not saying that it makes selling these cards perfectly legal (nor am I saying that this defense should be used as a loophole), this is what will eventually happen - the sellers distributing flashcarts in the UK will move on to another brand of card (the TTDS, maybe?) and the cycle will repeat itself. Or the company who makes these R4 clones will make a totally new and original flashcart called the "S5" or something equally stupid.

18. Crimsonclaw111

Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2010
    United States
    This is what I got for s5: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S5

19. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    This is perhaps the stupidest ruling in the world. You've banned 2 companies' carts. You should have done a blanket ban on the lot you idiots.

20. tuddy666

tuddy666 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2008
    somewhere in the UK
    I knew that the S5 was a type of car, but that's irrelevant. What is relevant, however, is that rebranding (or using a different brand of cart entirely) will be the loophole of choice for people who distribute the carts in the UK. Whether this loophole works, however, only time will tell.