Country

chrisman02

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMFAO just get the shield tv instead of this POS

Or one of the many, many, many plug and play Atari things that are like $20.

There seems to be some hype around this new Atari thing and I have no idea why. It's just Atari trying to bank on nostalgia again like they have for the past 20 years. There's nothing innovative about it. It will be dead and forgotten a month after release.

Reactions: DarthDub

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This COULD be good. I'm not holding my breath but they could still redeem this.

The only way that'll happen though is if it's stronger than the Switch for less cost

If it was on par with my Steam Machine and ran on Windows with a price point of 200, it would be an instant buy. BTW I'm running on a GT-1030. If Atari is going for the "good enough" audience of the Switch then something on par with the GT1030 with 6-8 GB of RAM should be decent. Sure, you cant upgrade any parts but still, the smaller footprint alone would be great for the living room!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dWfbjy

It's theoretically possible, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole and I question it's capabilities. Plus it's a full sized mATX system which will be shitty looking next to your TV. A 2400G puts it just over budget even when using the very cheapest parts possible.
That build wouldn't run Cemu anyway; the APU uses shared memory with the system and as such, something with memory capacity that slow and with that low of timings would really chug under load

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i dont think the 2400g is worth the extra cost over a 2200g as their is only a very small perfomance increase
The 2400g has a rather significantly higher GPU boost clock iirc, as well as more threads on the CPU side

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"VCS", LOL! How truly insulting and unfortunate. I was raised on the VCS (still got a couple decks in storage), and brother, this thing AIN'T the VCS.

SlUPWTz.gif

Reactions: DarthDub

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By that logic the Ouya should've been the next Wii of emulation for it's time.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Last I checked it had an AMD APU and was estimated to cost over $400

The OUYA should have been another Wii, had the console been managed properly. OUYA had two major issues, the community had a horrible "I got mine" mentality and only cared about emulation and not trying to build a platform. The other issue was that OUYA just wasn't managed as actively as it should have been.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The OUYA should have been another Wii, had the console been managed properly. OUYA had two major issues, the community had a horrible "I got mine" mentality and only cared about emulation and not trying to build a platform. The other issue was that OUYA just wasn't managed as actively as it should have been.
That and the controller looked and felt like someone had an XBox controller described to them over the phone, but had never actually held one.

In more positive news:
Tom's Hardware said:
VCS will come to market with several classic Atari game titles, but the company also plans to add a few newer re-imagined versions of those games. The VCS also supports any Linux-compatible game, so there is a wide array of potential candidates, but the hardware will be the gating factor. Unlike the Xbox and PlayStation, Atari didn’t design the VCS primarily to be a brute-force gaming machine; performance is more akin to a Nintendo Switch. Not all games will play at 60FPS on the system, like The Witcher 3 or the latest Call of Duty, but the company is testing some other less demanding PC titles, like Borderlands, to see if they will meet performance targets. Atari is also creating an open platform and embracing indie games to help round out the game portfolio, and the system is also 4K-capable.

[...]

Atari still hasn't shared all of the details of the new system, though we have heard that voice commands are on the menu. In April, the company will announce when pre-orders will begin. The Atari VCS is expected to debut at $250 to $300.

Edit: So @Futurdreamz, maybe update the OP with pricing and more details?

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That and the controller looked and felt like someone had an XBox controller described to them over the phone, but had never actually held one.

In more positive news:

Edit: So @Futurdreamz, maybe update the OP with pricing and more details?

Biggest issue is this. How many games are actually made with Windows in mind and how many Windows games wan be played via Wine with minimal issues.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I am intrigued about what this could lead to.

Personally, I've got a nice Atari VCS (officially labeled as 2600) on my table with a flashcard.

I will be amused if the Atari Box manage to do better.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Biggest issue is this. How many games are actually made with Windows in mind and how many Windows games wan be played via Wine with minimal issues.
A LOT of modern games have Linux ports specifically because of SteamOS, and a good number of legacy games work pretty well with Wine at this point. Yeah, Linux is a limiting factor to a modern game machine, but not nearly as much as it was in the past

Plus, given the console is open, it wouldn't be outlandish to assume a person would be able to just install Windows onto it if the should want to

Reactions: LightyKD

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
These days, I don't think anyone aside microsoft specifically makes a game "with windows in mind". The main culprit is the engine the game runs on and the technology it requires. Engines like unrealEd and unity allow you to compile a linux version of your game with minimal effort (I think this goes for console editions as well...it's just that the certifying process takes longer).

Wine is still on a steadily improving track. The downside of this is that as more games become playable, this lessens the incentive of AAA-studios to bother supporting linux (the games can be played anyway, and the userbase is small to begin with).

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i would ever consider buying one if it can emulate atari jaguar correctly, if not then there is no point paying 400+$ to get an emulation machine to emulate atari 2600 games...

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would ever consider buying one if it can emulate atari jaguar correctly, if not then there is no point paying 400+$ to get an emulation machine to emulate atari 2600 games...

Wait, you actually want to play Jag games? Are you a masochist?
:blink:

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are alot of jaguar hidden gems like alien vs predator and afew others that are exclusive to the jaguar.

Yeah, I'm aware. AvP is playable, that 'Iron Soldier' game is ok, and there are a couple decent pinball games. Beyond that, though? Shovelware, lame ports, and unfinished messes.
As a lifelong Atari fan, I was so disappointed - even a bit embarrassed - watching the (painful) Jaguar saga unfold. It was released for $199-$250 when I entered college, by the end of my first year it had hit deep clearance ($19.99-$49.99). :(

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, I'm aware. AvP is playable, that 'Iron Soldier' game is ok, and there are a couple decent pinball games. Beyond that, though? Shovelware, lame ports, and unfinished messes.
As a lifelong Atari fan, I was so disappointed - even a bit embarrassed - watching the (painful) Jaguar saga unfold. It was released for $199-$250 when I entered college, by the end of my first year it had hit deep clearance ($19.99-$49.99). :(
missile comand isnt bad same for that rithm game i forget starts with Z, also arent there 2 iron soldier games?

all in all seing this systems emulated well or there games would actualy make ataribox something diferente, since emulators still suck big time for jaguar.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk. But i would like an updated port of the ps1 pong game atari produced back in the day. When I say updated I mean modern resolution and addtional pong boards/tables. Would be a nice title for the switch.

Last edited by chartube12,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)