Gaming Brawler, Action RPG or Arcade games?

Anne Noise

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I have a friend with a 360, and his boyfriend and I are always trying to find games for the three (or four) of us to play. We all like RPGs and action RPGs and brawlers and side scrolling beat-em-ups, though depth and preferably some kind of RPG-esque stat system are both big selling points for my friends. The Essentials thread was too young (and the old one too cluttered) to help much. I'm hoping to find some fun Indie or XBLA titles, I think we've been through most of the major releases that fit our group dynamic.

Thanks in advance, wonderful Tempers.

Anne Noise

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Guardian Heroes

Scott Pilgrim vs The World or Castle Crashers

Played them all.

They won't play fighting games, only brawlers if they have some kind of co-op mode. One of my friends is ultra competitive and one of them is a huge wuss, so we can't get too competitive.

Isn't Trine on the Xbox, or am I mistaken again?

Does Trine have some kind of multiplayer I was unaware of?

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Anne Noise

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Isn't Trine on the Xbox, or am I mistaken again?

Does Trine have some kind of multiplayer I was unaware of?

Nope no multiplayer.

EDIT: If your talking about Trine 2, then yes it has co-op. Each one take their own class.. Warrior, thief and wizard.
I thought that since Trine 2 had co-op, then Trine 1 did too. Go figure.

But at least I know that about Trine 2 now, so thanks! I was going to play Trine 2 myself, but since there's co-op I'll hold off.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna say Rayman Origins. I played it last night with three other friends at a party and it's a fun platformer, although it has the major issue of pretty much every other co-op shoehorned platformer (NSMB Wii) in that it's hard to distinguish yourself out of the pack and it's easy to fuck over your friends. Even having drastically different characters with different schemes still leads to some confusion and it's quite easy to send your friend to their doom with a simple attack meant for a baddy. It's also easy to break a lot of would-be hard platforming challeneges with some simple tactics. Like you can just stack yourselves to make a tower to reach high ledges, keep one person in a safe area so you can constantly retry a tough jump without any penalties, so on and so forth. It definitely feels like a strong single player platformer that was not well engineered for co-op. Still kinda fun in a casual party setting though where you just want to fuck around.

It's not a largely brawler or ARPG but it's kinda brawl-ish and has co-op.

Anne Noise

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Castlevania Harmony of Despair

Kind of expensive it it's incredibly fun with friends.

It's been a hard sell to my friends, there's no demo of this game if I recall? I am a huge Metroidvania fan, and I'd love to play this with friends. I'll have to find some convincing videos to show them.

Gonna say Rayman Origins. I played it last night with three other friends at a party and it's a fun platformer, although it has the major issue of pretty much every other co-op shoehorned platformer (NSMB Wii) in that it's hard to distinguish yourself out of the pack and it's easy to fuck over your friends. Even having drastically different characters with different schemes still leads to some confusion and it's quite easy to send your friend to their doom with a simple attack meant for a baddy. It's also easy to break a lot of would-be hard platforming challeneges with some simple tactics. Like you can just stack yourselves to make a tower to reach high ledges, keep one person in a safe area so you can constantly retry a tough jump without any penalties, so on and so forth. It definitely feels like a strong single player platformer that was not well engineered for co-op. Still kinda fun in a casual party setting though where you just want to fuck around.

It's not a largely brawler or ARPG but it's kinda brawl-ish and has co-op.

NSMB and Kirby were both successful in our group, and I didn't know Rayman Origins have similar co-op. Thanks for the suggestion!

Crimson Alliance.

Played it and loved it.

I think they ported the original X-Men arcade game to the XBLA. If they did, definitely check it out.

We all played the arcade game extensively, but I've heard the port is fantastic. We may pick it up, but it's going to be a one night kind of game for all of us, I think.

We have also been playing Dungeon Defenders, which is a shitload of fun, but a bit crappy with three or four people and splitscreen, even on a 55" TV. Just a bit cluttered. But a LOT of fun! Tower D / Action RPG hybrid, great multiplayer and growth and stuff. Fun!

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a demo but it's a terrible representation of the game. It plays like any RPG Castlevania game. Your friends are sheltered if they haven't played one, lol.

Anne Noise

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's a demo but it's a terrible representation of the game. It plays like any RPG Castlevania game. Your friends are sheltered if they haven't played one, lol.

It's more a discrepancy in gaming abilities. I play with a couple, one of whom is a lifelong gamer who leans towards time intense RPGs and SRPGs and stuff, and the other has been playing since they've been dating (5 years) and only has experience with the 360 and the Wii. More than a casual gamer, but nowhere near his boyfriend and I. We have to find games that are accessible enough for one without being too shallow for the rest of us, but as long as the two of us can guide him up the learning curve, he can handle his own - it's more finding games that sate all of our different thirsts, haha. The less experienced gamer has zero experience with anything like Castlevania, as up until Harmony of Despair it was single player and not his kind of game, but I think if I can convince him he'd like it, he would at least try it.

I thought we looked for a demo and didn't see one, but I'll look again, we could be dumb.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/