Brawl discs no longer working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by An00bis, Dec 20, 2009.

Dec 20, 2009
  1. An00bis
    OP

Newcomer An00bis Advanced Member

United States
    So I bought my wii the first xmas it came out (2 years ago I guess?). I then got brawl the day it came out, and it played fine for about a year. Then I kind of stopped playing it, and, like all my other discs, it got scratched up. So when I went to try it out again (now I had homebrew installed), I usually could play as many matches as I wanted, but when I switched characters or stages for the next match, the disc could not be read. So yesterday I bought myself a new disc at gamestop and was all pumped to have a working brawl, but... I got the same error! Same timing and symptoms too!

My Wii specs:
    3.2U (had 3.3 then used some downgrader a while ago)
    cIOS rev249 (I think. Not sure. I have whatever you need to run neogamma latest)

And the weird thing is that all my other games run perfectly, so I doubt it's a broken laser. I heard from a friend that it could be that older wii's don't read dual-layer discs, but as stated, my wii read brawl for a whole year before it got scratched.

If you guys can't offer me a solution for said problem, could you at least tell me how to burn brawl onto a blank dvd-r? I've heard it's difficult b/c it's dual-layered, but really I don't care about anything except wifi (if the movies in SSE don't play, that doesn't matter).
    ~An00bis

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    The older Wii's were meant to have trouble with reading dual layered disks. Nintendo were offering a service to fix them for free.

The options I can think of is cleaning the lens it may have just become dirty, opening the wii and doing a pot adjustment, or sending it to Nintendo.

This should help if you want to make a single layer version without the movies.
    here

3. An00bis
    OP

Newcomer An00bis Advanced Member

United States
    Hm, I guess I'll have to try that once I get my DVD-R's for xmas [​IMG]

EDIT: Idea get

I don't have an external hard drive right now, but if I were to get one and load brawl through it, would that eliminate any freezing?

4. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    If you softmod your Wii correctly it should fix it. I actually play Brawl through my external usb hard drive without any problems.