Bravely Default II's "final demo" is up on the Nintendo Switch eShop

X53Jz1k.png

It may not be the full release, as the game was delayed to 2021, but Square Enix is letting fans get some Bravely Default action in before then, with a new demo. Titled the "Final Demo", players will get to try out the gameplay in full swing, with a battle-ready party of 4, already equipped with jobs and abilities. If you download the demo, you'll also receive 100 My Nintendo Platinum points, which is an extra bonus. Bravely Default 2 is set for a February 26th launch, exclusively for the Nintendo Switch.

:arrow: Source

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware... I'm simply mocking their choice of names :')
Whoever is in charge of naming sequels over at Squaresoft needs punched in the dick with Simon Belmont's flail. Repeatedly, while on fire. The Kingdom Hearts games' confusing naming scemes are a prime example of this. The whole japanese vs usa final fantasy 1-6 bullshit is another one. We got FF1 and FF2 on the NES. Then we got FF3 on the SNES. FF4, 5, and 6 came out on PS1 and GBA, and 6 was just a port of FF3! I feel like we missed out on an entire FF game, since us Americans got the same goddamn game twice! Now I know some smartass on this forum is gonna quote me and link an article or video explaining the long, confusing naming bullshit, but I really couldn't care less. The bottom line is, Square loves fucking over American audiences.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoever is in charge of naming sequels over at Squaresoft needs punched in the dick with Simon Belmont's flail. Repeatedly, while on fire. The Kingdom Hearts games' confusing naming scemes are a prime example of this. The whole japanese vs usa final fantasy 1-6 bullshit is another one. We got FF1 and FF2 on the NES. Then we got FF3 on the SNES. FF4, 5, and 6 came out on PS1 and GBA, and 6 was just a port of FF3! I feel like we missed out on an entire FF game, since us Americans got the same goddamn game twice! Now I know some smartass on this forum is gonna quote me and link an article or video explaining the long, confusing naming bullshit, but I really couldn't care less. The bottom line is, Square loves fucking over American audiences.

It's really not that hard when it comes to Final Fantasy lol. I agree it should've never been a problem to begin with, but times were different back in the 80's and 90's. And it's not like these games are sequels to each other outside of the one sequel FF10 got and the FF13 trilogy.

*Final Fantasy I is Final Fantasy.
*Final Fantasy II is Final Fantasy II on NES. Both of these first games can be played on Final Fantasy Origins collection on PS1.
*Final Fantasy III is Final Fantasy III on NES. The only modern port that I can remember off the top of my head was one on the NDS that thankfully got localized!
*Final Fantasy IV is Final Fantasy II on the SNES. Every subsequent re-release refers to it as the former, something you'll notice as the the rest of the numbered entries pre-Final Fantasy 7 go on.
*Final Fantasy V is Final Fantasy V on the SNES, and never made it over to the US on the SNES proper. It did get an official port to the PS1 though along with another game.
*Final Fantasy VI is Final Fantasy III on the SNES. It also got a port to the PS1 that fixed the number up.

Thing is, nowadays, all of these games' OG versions have fan translations that gets rid of the Woolsleyisms of the originals, censorship, and retains the original titles. And after Final Fantasy VII, there was no more numbering nonsense. Sure, you have the spinoffs going forward, but those are all subtitled...and when we got the modern mess of games and anime having nonsensical titles:

*Kingdom Hearts I
*Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
*Kingdom Hearts II
*Kingdom Hearts 420 days/69 cringe fanfictions
*Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
*Kingdom Hearts on PSP
*Kingdom Hearts III

And I probably missed a few, but Kingdom Hearts wasn't the only series with this weird nonsense going on at the time. Let's look at Guilty Gear:

*Guilty Gear
*Guilty Gear X
*Guilty Gear X2
*Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
*Guilty Gear Slash
*Guilty Gear Judgement
*Guilty Gear Isuka
*Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
*Guilty Gear 2 Overture
*Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
*Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R
*Guilty Gear XRD-SIGN-
*Guilty Gear XRD Revelator
*Guilty Gear XRD REV 2
*Guilty Gear StrIVe

Japan, I love your games and anime...but what are these titles!?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would grab it if there was save data transfer but I'll wait. I find it odd that squeenix can give a 10 hour demo with save transfer for DQ11s but not this. Loved the first two games though!

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I used to be addicted to Bravely Default, back in high school; I didn't mind the whole "repeating worlds" thing, since each one felt distinct enough and I loved the characters and gameplay. Grinding Megalixirs was possible, and led to almost-broken Salve-Makers with "Turn Toxic" and additional support skills.
I didn't like how Bravely Second altered the EXP/JP/pg (money) multiplier system, thereby ruining the ability Obliterate; I also didn't like how Edea's name pronunciation changed. Still, I found this sequel to be pretty well done, despite the loss of quite a few beloved Jobs from the first game.

In BD, defeating enemies in one turn awarded bonus points if you didn't get damaged, defeated the enemies in one single attack, and/or finished the fight in one turn (with each one awarding a multiplier for each type of points). This meant that Obliterate easily racked up the multipliers, since it counted as all three scenarios being met.
In BS, multipliers were instead awarded for "chain fights", which were in effect a brand-new random encounter except it kept any reduced or increased Battle Points. This not only made random encounters take forever to actually finish if you wanted the most points, but since Obliterate doesn't allow for chaining...the skill was utterly worthless in almost all instances. Truly a dumb, unwanted change.

Being able to change the encounter rate was awesome, and this was made more convenient in BS due to being easier to access - however, some dungeons disabled this functionality, which was dumb (there's no point to random encounters once you've maxed out EXP, JP and pg, after all).

The censorship present in BD, though, was ludicrous; many costumes were rendered unobtainable. This thankfully didn't cross into BS, where pretty much every costume was kept during localisation. The alterations to costumes, however, was just dumb in both games; what's so bad about a little extra visible skin? Honestly.

However, over time, BD's repetition and BS's slow and tedious Job-levelling system got to me, and I stopped playing them. Shame, really...

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,
D

Deleted User

... It may already be obvious, but my best way to sort Square Enix franchises is by original Release Year for their respective Games.

It doesn't matter whether it's a Prequel, Sequel, Alternate Universe etc.; the Game Creators themselves are bound by Linear Time, so what they release is only affected by what comes before.

What's that, Developer - you want to name it Bravely Default 69 and the next one 666.
Fine by me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple