Gaming Bravely Default: Box Arts, Age Ratings, Censorship and other crap

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am now one of the proud owners of Bravely Default (yay!). However, I am also a little sad for several reasons. Minor, but hey, I paid for it, so let me complain. Note: I have yet to actually start it, lol

Looking at the EU(first) and RoW(second) boxart, the EU one lost this fight easily:
wIrVNkb.jpg

mX83vPG.jpg

Okay okay, the EU one is alright, but less is sometimes more. Boxarts these days to be all colorful with lots of stuff happening in a very limited space... The original design of the Bravely Default boxart thus looks much better - at least in my eyes.

However, however nice a boxart is, the german boxart will always suck balls. Why? See for yourself:
zGvwZI8.png

Yep, we germans got our own screwed up age rating system, which recently (okay, a few years back) changed their rating mark from small (comparable to PEGI size, if not smaller) to one fucking huge ass logo (3.5x3.5cm²), varying in colors from grey (0+), yellow (6+), green (12+) to red (18+). Dunno why, but exchanging the colors for 6+ and 12+ would make more sense to me... thinking of traffic lights here...

Yep, even those super accessible games rated for babies are taking 1/9th of the entire boxart space available on a 3DS or DS boxart... Why is that needed for a game that ANYONE may play??

This is part of the reason I tend to import my games from the UK. The other is, that even with higher shipping costs, a newly released game can be 5€ to 30€ cheaper after currency conversion (Beyond Two Souls Collector's edition was nearly twice as expensive as in germany lol!)

On a side not, I bought A Link between Worlds in Germany and could luckily turn the cover inside out for a logo-less design :)

Next up is the cartridge:
Fk0J3I4.jpg

Yep, even there, we get an age rating, but this time around, not one but two, the other being in german spelling "Frei ab 12 Jahre". Why print it on the cartridge itself? It can't be a rule, as the Zelda one does lack it and that ones bought in germany... Plus, I bought it from the UK... guess they all look the same for europe then?

Along with the age rating, we get the worthless "Nintendo Seal of Quality" and that lovely CE sign we get on every electronic product within the EU...

Why cant they put those logos on the back of the cartridge or just leave them out altogether... Nintendo could also save on the Nintendo name a bit. a 3DS cartridge carries the Nintendo logo 3 times: Two on the front and one engraved in the back. Makes it easy to remember, who made the Nintendo 3DS stuff again...

Next up is that stupid censorship that definitely helped make this not an 16+ or higher rated game:
wFwLRx8.jpg

THEY ARE CHIBI CHARACTERS. Might as well be naked and they would still look like eggs... how is this even erotic in any way? Cute yes, but erotic no, unless you have a very active imagination, weirdo!

On a side note, worst censorship i have seen by far is the german and i think australian version of the FlatOut games:
For those that dont know, its a racing game series where, when you crash in a wall or something, the driver will fly through the windscreen. The german one however doesnt have the screams they drivers let out once this occurs, nor do they include humans: dummies replace all drivers. yep. Games are rated 12+ btw... HORRIBLE!

Last but not least: The special edition. I considered getting it, but it was a bit expensive, especially if one really would wanna get this BEAUTIFULLY HANDDRAWN FIGURINE:
8juQ8lv.jpg

yep, they fucked up there, lol.

Well, time to actually play the game now...
Two more things first, though:
REGION LOCK SUCKS. GO FUCK YOURSELF NINTENDO!
DLC SUCKS. FUCK EXTRA CLOTHES!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Doesn't the German version of Team Fortress 2 have nuts and bolts flying out and metallic sounds if you hit an enemy to imply that they're all robots or something stupid like that?

Reactions: signz

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can buy german games from austrian shops. They have the normal PEGI logo and are a bit cheaper than UK imports.
they tend to cost the same as in germany though (mebbe a 5€ difference if anything?). plus I dont really like playing the games in german... dunno why, but english feels more natural to me... yep, we do get german only games from time to time. dunno if bravely default is like that though. so to make sure, i tend to stick with English copies whenever possible!

though, it didnt always work out for me that well... for example, the english voice acting and overall "westernization" of the new Phoenix Wright is horrible... wish I had bought it in the german shop (yeah, im stuck with eng now, no matter which location and language i set before and after download...)

Doesn't the German version of Team Fortress 2 have nuts and bolts flying out and metallic sounds if you hit an enemy to imply that they're all robots or something stupid like that?
yep it does... also bullet holes like on metal appear on the characters if you shoot them. Dunno if this changed with the release of actual robots inside the game... I got it from the US though: MUUUUCH cheaper and uncensored :-)

Eh...
I think the EU box is better, the cart doesn't bother me, and I don’t care that the characters are censored. As long as they don't heavily modify the story, I'm good.
I prefer the games as the devs and designers intended it to be. not like the publishers are forcing it to become...

Both boxarts are both fine, though I do prefer the US/Japan one. If you get your hands on the fairy one, I'm willing to exchange covers with you :D

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
okay, so i started the game:
fairy intro voice acting is horrible in english. any chance to get the original japanese voice acting with either german or english subs?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To everyone crying about the censorship: Jesus Christ grow up.

They added slightly more clothing to characters. They didn't take away key gameplay mechanics or anything, the changes are minute and only affect your "muh waifus" and creepy fetishes. Are you like twelve and masturbate to your video games? This whole argument "b-but it's not sexy it's just cute!" is really goddamn old. "Cute" is not wearing less clothing so your ass and tits are hanging out. That's called sex appeal. Please stop covering your weird sexual obsession with the term "cute".

I think both boxarts are fine, it's really just preference.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can set the game language in the settings, and you can see all game's cutscenes again (when you get the book).
I don't know if you can see the AR card cutscene again with different language settings.

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
To everyone crying about the censorship: Jesus Christ grow up.

They added slightly more clothing to characters. They didn't take away key gameplay mechanics or anything, the changes are minute and only affect your "muh waifus" and creepy fetishes. Are you like twelve and masturbate to your video games? This whole argument "b-but it's not sexy it's just cute!" is really goddamn old. "Cute" is not wearing less clothing so your ass and tits are hanging out. That's called sex appeal. Please stop covering your weird sexual obsession with the term "cute".

I think both boxarts are fine, it's really just preference.
a matter of opinion. I voiced mine, you voiced yours. But theres no reason to insult or look down on those opposing the censorship, whatever their reason for doing so may be. To you I say: Grow up!

P.S. thanks cyan, but the 3ds option doesnt allow for japanese voice with eng subs, which is what I wished for... Japanese actually isnt even available on a european 3DS. oh well, lets see how bad the german version is :(

EDIT:
awh shit! voice acting seems to be only available in english (well, i checked german - mebbe french? i dont speak that though). or maybe it does depend on the country you buy it in (different roms?).

garet12

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
a matter of opinion. I voiced mine, you voiced yours. But theres no reason to insult or look down on those opposing the censorship, whatever their reason for doing so may be. To you I say: Grow up!

P.S. thanks cyan, but the 3ds option doesnt allow for japanese voice with eng subs, which is what I wished for... Japanese actually isnt even available on a european 3DS. oh well, lets see how bad the german version is :(
You can actually do just that. You have to change the settings in-game when they are available.

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can actually do just that. You have to change the settings in-game when they are available.
ah so I do have to play for a while and then switch? sweet!

I take it, i can also then delete the 3 savegames I created? Kinda stupid not to have that option from the start, or am i just tooooooo stupid to find the option?

Oops, found the arrow on the start screen. I dont get it why the options arent visible from the start: after all, it doesnt block of anything

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
yep, zoc, much better, though, still wouldnt have paid 140€ for that. and thats the price for that fugly figurine edition...

However, the worst western "kit" i have seen thus far was for the game Ni No Kuni for the PS3:
The japanese edition had a nice book bundled with it (default, no extra costs, not a special edition. not even available without that book afaik), where you can look up all sorts of stuff required for the game.
The US/EU bundle however, was no bundle at all: There was no book! It was merely included digitally, which is a pain to browser with the controller. Still cost roughly as much as the japanese version did, whcih came with a book!

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Don't US get that same kit? Or did Amazon lie to me?
kind of, but not really:
http://www.amazon.com/Bravely-Default-Collectors-Edition-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B00GV4V8YQ/

there are certain differences like a white box instead of a black one as well as a unartistic jewel case instead of a folded 2-CD soundtrack. It seems to be also missing that see through plastic (dunno what it is).

it is however coming with some cards or something.

overall, looks a bit cheaper than the japanese one, but theres no pricetag yet, so dunno how to rate it.

either way: it is unfortunately a no-go for us europeans: FUCK THAT REGION LOCK! :(

EDIT: oh and no poster either!

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
though, it didnt always work out for me that well... for example, the english voice acting and overall "westernization" of the new Phoenix Wright is horrible... wish I had bought it in the german shop (yeah, im stuck with eng now, no matter which location and language i set before and after download...)
The new Phoenix Wright has only been localized in english. Capcom stopped localizing in other languages since the first Investigations game.

Reactions: Öhr

liquidsolidyetboth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TheZoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I gotta agree japan always gets the better end for kits and limited edition stuff either 3ds or playstation :( I dont understand the logic of censoring the game for US/EU hmm

The logic might be: "Oh characters are small! They are probably underage! Less belly appearing == less chance of our kids getting raped. Censor everything!" :unsure:

Video games are blamed for tons of stuff (i.e. Murder, Violence, etc. :/ ), might as well pin pedophile attacks in it, I guess :glare:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ack slow wifi