Hacking Brandish: The Dark Revenant translation

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, omarrrio did some ASM and got the comma working. I'm sure he'll give it to you when he gets a moment. No need to redraw any of the font tiles.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted a translation of the text in mp1_14.scp here. I had trouble with some lines; I left those blank.
I can help with translation. Let me know what I should work on next.

Weird text codes (use these anytime, I think):
Start of red text: #3C
End of red text: #0C
Circle (button): #0I
X (button): #1I
Square (button): #2I
Triangle (button): #3I
L (button): #4I#5I
R (button): #6I#7I
Select (button): #8I#9I
START (button): #10I#11I

Reactions: GHANMI and G-Han

G-Han

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good, good. I'm almost done with the first floor. There's a lot of repetition among the floors, like the notification that a wall is crumbling or that you opened a chest with a key. We should keep those consistent, of course.
  • The pointer for the 'wall plaques'/'stone tablets' on the walls is: #6C.
  • #K marks the end and #D the beginning of a textbox whenever talking to a shopkeeper, I think.

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omarrrio and myself are interested in organizing a translation project for this. What we might do for the text dumps, as is the fairly popular method for these types of projects, is put it all in Google Spreadsheets. It'll be friendlier for collaboration. Unless anyone has a better idea.

G-Han

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Omarrrio and myself are interested in organizing a translation project for this. What we might do for the text dumps, as is the fairly popular method for these types of projects, is put it all in Google Spreadsheets. It'll be friendlier for collaboration. Unless anyone has a better idea.

Without giving it too much thought, I started working in Spreadsheets here and flame1234 joined in as well. I basically expanded my spreadsheet for drafts (primarily for comparing the length of sentences between source/target), so it's kind of messy. I'm also discussing stuff like Ares' personality with the Falcom community.

Feel free to join in!

omarrrio

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Without giving it too much thought, I started working in Spreadsheets here and flame1234 joined in as well. I basically expanded my spreadsheet for drafts (primarily for comparing the length of sentences between source/target), so it's kind of messy. I'm also discussing stuff like Ares' personality with the Falcom community.

Feel free to join in!

thank you, i am aswell doing some asm hacking, here is a little gift for your hard work guys:
snap093.png

Reactions: G-Han and GHANMI

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
thank you, i am aswell doing some asm hacking, here is a little gift for your hard work guys:

@omarrio the project could really use your help when it comes to the pmf videos.
It's very possible to edit those (aka do "hard subtitling") but the already so-so quality will go to the gutter.
Could you consider adding with ASM soft subtitles (with black/translucent bars to hide the JP subs)?

G-Han

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Neat, omarrrio!

Speaking of which, we're currently working on the /script/ files, but there's also /txt/item.tb for all the items. How do we translate those?

I went ahead and imported all lines with text into the spreadsheet, with the source lines on the left and the translations on the right. This way, it's easy to jump in to translate or give remarks on someone's translation, while others are editing. While making this, I ran into many, many repetitions (like "The wall is broken" for virtually every floor). It's best to add a check to prevent double work and inconsistencies.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
i have no idea how to do so, like at all, this trick for the english menus was learnt from a friend.
Mind sharing that trick (to make the PSP somehow behave as if it's an English game), if possible at all ? ;)

Besides that, I think that leaves only the FMV edition solution.
I don't think Gemini would share his subtitling engine for outside of his projects. Maybe asking for it could help?

Kelebek

Trophies
XP
Country
Neat, omarrrio!

Speaking of which, we're currently working on the /script/ files, but there's also /txt/item.tb for all the items. How do we translate those?

I went ahead and imported all lines with text into the spreadsheet, with the source lines on the left and the translations on the right. This way, it's easy to jump in to translate or give remarks on someone's translation, while others are editing. While making this, I ran into many, many repetitions (like "The wall is broken" for virtually every floor). It's best to add a check to prevent double work and inconsistencies.

The format for item.tb is really simple, but entirely un-changeable it seems. There's no pointers or anything in there at all, the text all has a hard-coded length. Would need ASM hacking to edit that. Shouldn't be very difficult though, should be a just a couple single-line edits. A job for omarrrio. :P

But for editing:

Every block is 0xbc in length. Format is:

0x0 - dword - item number
0x4 - 32 bytes - Item name
0x24 - 128 bytes - item description
0xa4 - 0xbc - Specific item data. Not sure of the format of these without checking the game, but it looks like 6 dwords. I assume they'd just control stuff like item type, damage, heal amount, texture etc etc etc. Item-type stuff. You could find out what each one is really easily just by changing the values and seeing what happens in-game.

So, keep the name within 32 bytes, and keep the description within 128 bytes, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: omarrrio and G-Han

G-Han

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The format for item.tb is really simple, but entirely un-changeable it seems. There's no pointers or anything in there at all, the text all has a hard-coded length. Would need ASM hacking to edit that. Shouldn't be very difficult though, should be a just a couple single-line edits. A job for omarrrio. :P

But for editing:

Every block is 0xbc in length. Format is:

0x0 - dword - item number
0x4 - 32 bytes - Item name
0x24 - 128 bytes - item description
0xa4 - 0xbc - Specific item data. Not sure of the format of these without checking the game, but it looks like 6 dwords. I assume they'd just control stuff like item type, damage, heal amount, texture etc etc etc. Item-type stuff. You could find out what each one is really easily just by changing the values and seeing what happens in-game.

So, keep the name within 32 bytes, and keep the description within 128 bytes, and you'll be fine.

Thanks, that should help!

Small update: with flame1234's translation of the tutorial and mine of the first five floors, we got a good 19% of the script covered (line-wise), repetitions included.

Reactions: GHANMI and omarrrio

omarrrio

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Mind sharing that trick (to make the PSP somehow behave as if it's an English game), if possible at all ? ;)

sadly it doesn't work on all games :/

The format for item.tb is really simple, but entirely un-changeable it seems. There's no pointers or anything in there at all, the text all has a hard-coded length. Would need ASM hacking to edit that. Shouldn't be very difficult though, should be a just a couple single-line edits. A job for omarrrio.

There is no need, the array size is more than enough lol

denpanosekai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Brandish 2 translator here. A few years ago I looked into Brandish PSP but I ran out of free time so I'm glad to see this is happening.

I personally hope you guys follow the naming convention I put into Brandish 2 as opposed to the one from the localized SNES port. Dora should really be Dela Delon but it's up to you guys in the end. I'll be keeping an eye on the spreadsheet...

Reactions: GHANMI and G-Han

G-Han

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Brandish 2 translator here. A few years ago I looked into Brandish PSP but I ran out of free time so I'm glad to see this is happening.

I personally hope you guys follow the naming convention I put into Brandish 2 as opposed to the one from the localized SNES port. Dora should really be Dela Delon but it's up to you guys in the end. I'll be keeping an eye on the spreadsheet...
Although it's still Dora in the spreadsheet, we did make the decision last night to stick with Dela to keep it consistent with your translation and Falcom's transliteration. I'll change it in the sheet as soon as I start working on it again.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
It IS Dela Delon in the PSP version.
There's an FMV with the official romanizations inside the game, did you miss it? (If you don't want to play through the game again, it's br1_op.pmf)
It also romanizes the hero's name as Ares Toraernos.

Besides that, since when was *that* SNES localization the norm? Its name changes were offensively bad imho :P

G-Han Install the codec from this pack (http://www.mediafire.com/download/jgrpgl0iagolscg/Herramientas PMF.rar) and open the pmf files with a video player using UMDGen to have an idea about how much text is included in the FMVs... and translate it.

G-Han

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
We possibly can't have the game argue with its FMVs, now can we? Just changed her names in the spreadsheet.

So far, the only things I've recycled from the SNES version are the stone tablets/plaques with hints/lore on the walls. In one case I had to slightly adjust a line to make it fit properly, like the first one (SNES version), others lacked lines in the localised version so I translated these in a similar style. The tablets invoke a sense of antiquity, and by recycling the tablet texts from the 20+ years old original localisation, I wish to convey a similar feeling in the PSP version. You could call it some kind of an inside joke, I guess.

GHANMI Thanks for the codec, that's going to be really helpful. If someone's able to transcribe the text, then that would certainly be helpful.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I inserted the tutorial script I wrote and it worked just fine.
We should probably focus on translating through mp1_13 and the item tables, then prepare a progress patch for TL checkers and QA.

Reactions: G-Han

G-Han

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I inserted the tutorial script I wrote and it worked just fine.
We should probably focus on translating through mp1_13 and the item tables, then prepare a progress patch for TL checkers and QA.

Cool man, good to hear! And yes, I agree with the process patch proposal; it's included in the 'Overall progress' sheet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.