Brand new to flash carts, have questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Zelgadis5438, Dec 26, 2011.

Dec 26, 2011
  1. Zelgadis5438
    OP

Newcomer Zelgadis5438 Member

United States
    I just got a 3DS for Christmas and to get the internet browser working I needed to update the firmware to the latest version.

I also just ordered this flash cart: http://www.r4ds-ds.c...Card-p-247.html

Because I updated my firmware does this mean that when my flash cart comes it will be useless? I feel like a total dumbass, the second I pressed the update button I said FUHHHHHHHHHHH

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You can update your flash cart... but not on that 3DS, you'll need to use an older DS/Lite most likely, unless the cart comes pre-updated (not always).

3. Zelgadis5438
    OP

United States
    Is there a chance that I can simply put it in and update it anyway? I heard the newest update doesn't block any flashcarts and ths one I ordered is on a list of ones compatible with it.

4. sychotix

Newcomer sychotix Advanced Member

United States
    Not unless the flashcart comes preupdated.

5. Zelgadis5438
    OP

United States
    Is it true that any DS/DSlite can update my card regardless of its firmware?

I have a family member that lives 2 hours away that has a DS lite but I have no clue what firmware it has and that is pretty much my only hope of updating my flash cart it seems.

6. ken28

Member ken28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    on the dslite and ds all flashcard work because only since the dsi is it posibly to update the firmware (the one from the ds itself)

7. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    DS/Lite's don't have downloadable firmwares for Nintendo to block flashcarts with, so you'll always be able to use them to reflash your acekard 2i's or what have you for use on DSi or 3DS assuming Nintendo don't break them on a more fundamental level.

8. Zelgadis5438
    OP

United States
    Hm, well since I can't really drive 2 hours just to use my 5 year old nieces DS lite to update my card how probable would it be to go to Gamestop and say this:

"My friend just got a new DS lite and I wanted to look into buying a used one, would you mind if I used it for a few moments to see how it compares?"

Or would I be able to just say "Hey, can I please update my flash cart pleas?"

9. Rydian

United States
    The latest update doesn't do any new blocking compared to the update right before it.

10. Zelgadis5438
    OP

United States
    Well my R4i card is coming in a few weeks. I'm assuming at this point it will be a crapshoot as to whether or not it will be able to be updated with my 3.0.0-6U 3DS?

11. Rydian

United States
    If it needs to be updated, you can't.

The issue is whether it's been updated before they sent it out to you.

12. Zelgadis5438
    OP

United States
    Well the card I ordered is on a list compatible with the latest firmware and my friend said it should work right out of the box so we'll see when it gets here I guess.

My friend also said the card's firmware can be updated from a PC through the SD card you put into it because its an R4 card if worse comes to worse, is that true?

13. Rydian

United States
    The lists here show which ones can be updated for it (as not all carts even get the proper updates).

14. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Look, you can't update a DS flashcart's firmware FROM A 3DS.
    You really really really NEED a DS/DSLite for that.
    I don't know anything that updates a flashcart from the PC, it just won't make sense.
    Copy the flash files onto the microSD card, then what?? YOU NEED A DS TO RUN THE FLASH FILES.

You really really really NEED a DS/DSLite for updating, even in the future if a newer firmware is released.
    Drive that 2 hour drive / return that flashcart / buy a new flashcart
    No other way around IF the firmware of your R4 is older than what is supported.

You really really really NEED a DS/DSLite.