Brand new PSP extended battery swollen/inflated

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Hyro-Sama, Sep 22, 2012.

Sep 22, 2012
  1. Hyro-Sama
    OP

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    As you can slightly see in the following pics, my brand new PSP battery is swollen. It's an official Sony PSP battery that I had purchased at Zellers. I just opened it about 15 mins ago and noticed the battery cover was bloated and stretched.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

So... Should I purchase another battery or is there some remedy for whatever is happening to the battery?

2. ouch123

Member ouch123 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Battery swelling is usually a sign of the battery failing due to either A) Charging with wrong polarity or B) Being drained far below the intended range of operation. I think you should ask for your money back personally.

3. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    A swollen battery means there is gas building up inside. Demand a refund. That battery is no longer safe to use.

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Yep, that's one unstable battery. Now, the reason this happened is that the PCB connected to the battery did not react to the current battery status and kept on charging it way over its recommended capacity, causing it to bloat up. Depending on whether it's NiMh or Li-Ion/Li-Poly, it could be either gas building up (very, very bad, obviously) or the lithium "gel" growing in volume (less dangerous, but still).

In both cases, the battery should be returned - this is non-standard, it's not supposed to happen and in a worst-case scenario it can actually lead to the battery catching fire (lithium is highly reactive with water, it lights up in-contact with air, which is of course humid. I don't have to say why gas under pressure isn't a good thing either) due to losing the casing's integrity.

All in all, return it.

5. Hyro-Sama
    OP

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Ah, I see.

Well, since all the Zellers stores in Canada are closing to become Target retail stores, returning the battery isn't possible. I'll contact Sony directly and see what they can do for me.

Thanks for your help.