Brand New N3DSXL - Pre Mod Questions

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by some-random-user, Jun 24, 2017.

1. some-random-user
    OP

some-random-user Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2017
    United States
    Just picked up a brand new New 3DS XL. It came with firmware 11.2. I have a couple of questions before following the 3DS.Guide. I'm really just looking to dump 3DS first party games, which I plan on collecting/owning (as well as legitimately use the eShop), to play locally off the SD card and emulating older Nintendo systems.

I couldn't find any info on what to do with a brand new system in terms of setting up the 3DS from turning it on for the first time to mod and I haven't really played or owned a Nintendo system since the N64 as a kid. I've read the getting started tips but just asking for some veteran tips before starting the guide of working within the Nintendo ecosystem. For instance, should I set anything up on the 3DS first that most people know to do or register it etc.? Do I need to set up an account with Nintendo (like PlayStation Network) and should I set it up as anonymously as possible (if possible)? Anything else you can recommend or share would be helpful.

2. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Set up a Nintendo Network ID to associate (so to speak) your purchases to that Nintendo ID.
    After that you can safely softmod your console. You won't lose your games and I think they get backed up (tickets only) while doing the 3ds.guide tutorial.
    But even if they disappear after the softmod, you can just log in with your newly created Nintendo ID and your bought games will be available for purchase, because Nintendo still thinks that tying digital games to a system is a good idea (except the Switch finally got things done right).

3. some-random-user
    OP

some-random-user Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2017
    United States
    Thanks!