Hacking Brand new N3ds and downgrading questions

drag0nscythe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took the plunge today and bought one of the newer Japanese n3ds to see if it had a firmware of 10.7 or lower. Turns out that it is 10.7 exactly. Now that I have it, I want to make sure I do everything to not mess up downgrading/ installing arm9h.

As the device hasn't even been turned on yet what should be the first few steps I take.

From what I have read, I need to format the n3ds at some point before downgrading.

Does this sound right,

1) Initial setup (do not update)
2) Transfer sdcard files to larger sdcard (64gb)
3) format n3ds
4) setup n3ds again
5) setup homebrew entry (via arm9h guide)
6) downgrade and clench buthole

Reactions: MajinCubyan

solress

Not a dev
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I took the plunge today and bought one of the newer Japanese n3ds to see if it had a firmware of 10.7 or lower. Turns out that it is 10.7 exactly. Now that I have it, I want to make sure I do everything to not mess up downgrading/ installing arm9h.

As the device hasn't even been turned on yet what should be the first few steps I take.

From what I have read, I need to format the n3ds at some point before downgrading.

Does this sound right,

1) Initial setup (do not update)
2) Transfer sdcard files to larger sdcard (64gb)
3) format n3ds
4) setup n3ds again
5) setup homebrew entry (via arm9h guide)
6) downgrade and clench buthole
Yea, easiest would be to just do the first time setup with the 64GB as that skips having to copy everything

drag0nscythe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks. I shall start there then.

First things first, I need to format the 64gb card as fat32

drag0nscythe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed the J9.2 from Plailect guide does not have the 004002002CA file that was requested to be deleted in many of the guides for Japanese n3ds downgrading. Was this done on purpose to help with the process? or is it missing some files and I should go for the J9.1 from that site?

Just making sure I don't screw this up.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good luck, since its Japanese console i think its more prone to soft brick during downgrade. Forcing you to update to 11.0

I was able to do it twice on different 3ds with no problems (1 old and 1 new). but as 11 came out, I want to make sure nothing wrong happens this time.

drag0nscythe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to install menuhax on 10.7 but it threw an error. I have already changed the theme to build the database before I tried to install. Menuhax claims that the files are not present (e

Does 10.7 allow for menu hax? if not then I will skip and go into downgrading. I can install it once I go down to 9.2

edit: ok Ignore this i guess. Later on I will have to reinstall it anyway. I am using cubix ninja as my entrypoint so I don't really need it at the moment. I shall continue

Last edited by drag0nscythe,

drag0nscythe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, So I tried to downgrade and ended up with an error halfway through (partial). for the last 2 hours, Ive been tyring to rerun PlaiSysUpdater but it always crashes on hex init....

Should I just keep trying and hope it works?

drag0nscythe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm beginning to suspect that it won't work. I have been trying for 3.5 hours now and it always freezes on hax init...
I am reminded of a famous quote where trying the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Is there another way to finish the downgrade?

I'm using browserhax as my entry point, could this be causing the problem?
Should I install menuhax and use it as the entry point?

edit 2: ok, that worked. by installing menuhax and entering that way, It worked on the first try. How will I know if it fully downgraded, is there a way to check?

Last edited by drag0nscythe,
Reactions: Aerocool

Aerocool

Man in a Box
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm beginning to suspect that it won't work. I have been trying for 3.5 hours now and it always freezes on hax init...
I am reminded of a famous quote where trying the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Is there another way to finish the downgrade?

I'm using browserhax as my entry point, could this be causing the problem?
Should I install menuhax and use it as the entry point?

edit 2: ok, that worked. by installing menuhax and entering that way, It worked on the first try. How will I know if it fully downgraded, is there a way to check?

https://github.com/svanheulen/downgrade_check
https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-small-thread-on-how-to-tell-if-you-got-an-incomplete-downgrade.408937/

But you could just try to load an arm9 homebrew through the homebrew launcher (decrypt9, emunand9 etc...) to check if you have ARM9 access.

drag0nscythe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I was able to open decrypt9 and create a Sysnand.bin.

Looks like the most dangerous part is past, now onto to great things

drag0nscythe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed in the downgrade to 2.1.0 that one of the steps is "Cross your fingers". Does this mean that OTPHelper has a moderate chance of failing (20-30%)? How much should I be concerend about this step?
  1. Open OTPHelper
  2. Select "One Click Setup" and confirm (you do not need to do an extra backup if asked, but you should make sure that you have copied the backup you made earlier to your computer as youwill need it later). This can take a while.
    (If this fails or gives you an error do NOT continue or you may BRICK; you shouldfollow this troubleshooting guide)
  3. Cross your fingers
  4. Reboot
  5. If you get a black screen, boot with the SD card removed then reinsert when you see the home menu. If this fails, follow this troubleshooting guide

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I noticed in the downgrade to 2.1.0 that one of the steps is "Cross your fingers". Does this mean that OTPHelper has a moderate chance of failing (20-30%)? How much should I be concerend about this step?
  1. Open OTPHelper
  2. Select "One Click Setup" and confirm (you do not need to do an extra backup if asked, but you should make sure that you have copied the backup you made earlier to your computer as youwill need it later). This can take a while.
    (If this fails or gives you an error do NOT continue or you may BRICK; you shouldfollow this troubleshooting guide)
  3. Cross your fingers
  4. Reboot
  5. If you get a black screen, boot with the SD card removed then reinsert when you see the home menu. If this fails, follow this troubleshooting guide

Nah OTP helper is perfect. It has triple checks on everything. It's just there as a kind of joke, as in the early days of A9LH you had to do a lot more come complicated steps. There used to be a severe chance of failure during the set up, but now it's (almost) 100%. I am saying almost because there is always, always, a risk involved when modifying your NAND. However small that may be, there is still a eeny little weeny chance.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah OTP helper is perfect. It has triple checks on everything. It's just there as a kind of joke, as in the early days of A9LH you had to do a lot more come complicated steps. There used to be a severe chance of failure during the set up, but now it's (almost) 100%. I am saying almost because there is always, always, a risk involved when modifying your NAND. However small that may be, there is still a eeny little weeny chance.
Lol... you know how many bricks ive fixed because the 2.1 downgrade did complete properly... its there for a valid reason.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odds, I don't know, I've fixed plenty of bricks and they all happened when downgrading to 2.1 or restoring emunand. Hope for the best, as long as you have a back up of sysnand you can recover via hardmod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"