Brand new M3 Perfect broken?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Rayder, Aug 5, 2008.

Aug 5, 2008

Brand new M3 Perfect broken? by Rayder at 1:25 AM (1,463 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Rayder
    OP

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Just received a new M3 Perfect miniSD from RHS today.

It doesn't seem to be working. It let's me putz around the menu's and it let me upgrade the firmware, but it won't load ANYTHING. It sits at 0000k and is just sort of locks up. Doesn't matter what...GBA, NES....nothing. I haven't tried DS games cause I have a slot1 for that, nor did I try any vids or pics or music, because that ain't what I plan to use it for.

I tried the latest M3 Game manager for the GBA games.....zip.

Any ideas beyond just sending it back for a replacement?

Are there specific folders that need to be in the card? Am I missing some critical files or some secret setting? I did create some folders called GAMESAVE, NDSSAVE and threw the various emu.gba files that are supposed to be required for the M3......latest versions of them....don't know if there are supposed to be specific versions of the emu.gba files....in the root of the card.

Anyway, nothing seems to be loading. It leads me to believe the internal RAM is bad or something.

Does it sound like a bad card to anyone else? Or am I just doing something wrong?

2. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    can you reformat ur SD card? I have no idea I'm just wild guessing. But i have to say sorry for ur bad flashcart. Can't u use GBA mode or use GBAExploader?
    iono if that helps

3. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think you may have a bad card. I have the M3 mini perfect.

The folders are as follows for me:
    /BACKING
    /Games - GB
    /Games - GBC
    /Games - NES
    /Games - SGG
    /Games - SMS
    /GAMESAVE
    goomba.gba
    pocketnes.gba

Only the Backing and Gamesave folders are legit "M3" folders. Backing is for backgrounds and gamesave is for all ".gba" gamesaves including saves from pocketnes and goomba.

Did you patch GBA games? Or did you try patching an Nes game for example? I never patch the retro games, only the gba games.

suppachipmunk

4. Rayder
    OP

United States
    I tried patched and unpatched with both the GBA and NES games. Nothing. 0000k lock-up. I tried 2 different miniSD cards. Both of which work fine in the PC and SCminiSD.

Looks like I'm gonna hafta contact RHS for a replacement. [​IMG]

I didn't know about the "BACKING" folder....where do I get backgrounds for the M3?

At least the CycloDS I ordered at the same time seems to be working fine.

DAMMIT!! I wanted GBA games that didn't slowdown, unlike the SCminiSD I have which does have a lot of slowdown. [​IMG]

5. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Are you booting into GBA mode?

6. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Well, thankfully you got it from RHS. The shipping will at least be decent if you do return it for a replacement. Strange that it didn't work. They usually test it before they ship.

7. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Sorry to hear about your faulty M3, but hey, at least you got a CycloDS.

8. Rayder
    OP

United States
    Yeah, first time getting a bad unit from RHS. This would be like the 5 or 6th item I've purchased and the first to not work.

When I booted it, it had a save for some Bubble Bobble game or something that it kept hollering about writing....and couldn't because some file or another wasn't present. They must have tested it with an NDS game, but not a GBA game. I tried a DS game and it worked straight-away, but DS games don't use the internal memory of a slot2.

DS games appear to work, but not GBA or emus.

9. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    hey Raydar u should see if you can get an M3 lite somewhere. I bought off kickgaming for $19.95 and a couple bucks shipping. anyway, best of luck to u and ur card

10. suppachipmunk

United States
    As M3rox asked, are you booting into GBA mode before you try to run the GBA games or emus.

I would try the M3 with nothing in the slot 1 device, that will make it boot into GBA mode. Then, depending on what file format you used...

FAT 64k, use "START" instead "A" to load GBA games
    FAT32, use "A" to load games.

What file format did you use...

use this guide http://www.m3wiki.com/index.php/Media_Card to determine what you may want to use in regards to file formats.

I use Fat 64K clusters, and I HAVE to use START to load anything in regards to GBA Mode.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Here is where you can get some basic skins: http://www.m3wiki.com/index.php/Skins

11. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Again, are you booting into GBA mode? (I.e., when the flash cart boots up, press the Start button, or start your DS without anything in the Slot-1, and select the GBA option).

Edit: beaten to it [​IMG]

12. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yeah, they kinda broke the GBA function in a way with one of the firmware updates. Hence why using A to load games doesn't work.

I found it annoying too, but whatever. The games used to load way fast but I don't mind a few more seconds of waiting time.

13. Rayder
    OP

United States

OOH! Using Start to load GBA games seems to have worked! It booted Pinball Of The Dead! (which is a game that DEFINITELY slows down in the SCminiSD) I have the miniSD formatted in FAT, not FAT32. Maybe it's not busted after all.

What firmware is good for GBA on the M3 Perfect? I NEVER intend to use it for DS gaming, so that's not necessary.

EDIT: Re-formatted the miniSD to FAT32 and all seems well now. Games boot with A or Start.

Thanks for all the help! It saved me from sending back a card I thought was defective. Now I just gotta load it up with games........

14. suppachipmunk

United States
    Your welcome. Glad to help anytime. [​IMG]

As for the firmware, I think I have the newest e35, I think... and all games seem to work fine. I think anything past like e30 is just for NDS, but maybe they fixed some other problems in the firmware updates. Not sure about that though.

Just be sure to use the newest Game Manager, and you should have almost 100% compatibility. [​IMG]

Have fun!

15. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    You can get backgrounds from ndsthemes.com
    sorry, I just wanted to say something...
    (WHY?? WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE AN M3 REAL SECTION???)