Hacking Brand new cheap SD card corrupted. Is this common?

mattlandry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys so I bought this micro SD/adaptor package as it was the cheapest 64GB one I could find:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/64GB-Micro-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I formatted it to fat32 3 different ways and right out of the box it had issues with files getting corrupted. Now after about a week it's not even usable by PC's. What SD cards have you guys been using? I haven't found anything anywhere about others recommending specific SD cards or saying which brands have issues.

Now I'm waiting for this one to ship:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-32GB-Mi...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'm hoping since it's 32GB, it has less chances of corrupting since it's meant for the FAT32 format. Maybe my constant formatting caused issues previously. I really hope this one doesn't cause issues because I've already spent too much on these damn SD cards.

If you guys could even mention exactly which SD cards you use, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
you are buying non branded\fake ones and from ebay of course its common
don't be a cheapskate and get a proper one from a retail place.
you may get one from ebay that works but eventually will die with all the stuff with it

PS, before even think about saving stuff in it check with http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml
you might get one of ebay that may looks legit from a brand like kingston and still it's a counterfeit 2GB card with the capacity faked

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

PPS if you insist in getting your cards for cheap off ebay, i invite you to read this thread, read the whole page (it has a toon of pages, but first page is enough) before buying ever again such type of product from ebay
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Compu...micro-sd-card-on-ebay/td-p/2594416?rmvSB=true
keep in mind, thread talks about 32GB but this is true for any card no matter the capacity.

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: Deleted User

mattlandry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Interesting. I was thinking them being generic might be an issue but I've used them for hacking my 3DS,PSP and regular wii with no issue. If this one becomes a problem, I'll get a sandisk one anyway. Thanks so much for your help!

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Interesting. I was thinking them being generic might be an issue but I've used them for hacking my 3DS,PSP and regular wii with no issue. If this one becomes a problem, I'll get a sandisk one anyway. Thanks so much for your help!
dont rely in them.. use the tool i provided to check them.. so you can make sure the storage is really available and not just corrupting you stuff without you knowing
dont save important stuff you don't wanna lose in them, they might work but eventually and that tool even say they are OK, there is a strong reason they are fake\counterfeit\no branded.. theese carts will last for short time (specially if you write stuff to them frequently)

i bought several 32GB for 10 bucks in black friday from retailers (in here it's a good deal)
i don't think this value is expensive, and it was worth it, than being a cheapskate and lose the data in them

Last edited by migles,

FreePlayFlorida

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i think the title of this answers itself, from fakes, spoofed sizes the cheap ones of ebay just arent worth the headaches, pay a little more and get a real branded from a reputable site, worth it in the long run when your data doesnt go tits up, I tend to use Sandisk for my handhelds like vita etc

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They will mostly work until you try to fill up more than the real capacity (usually 4 or 8 GB because they're the cheapest and most easily available), then one of two things will happen: Either it will start overwriting the old files on the cart with the new ones (so the new files are usable but the old ones become corrupted), or it will just ignore any new writes, making the files appear as though they were written, but the contents are just garbled data.
When you used them before, you probably weren't using more than 4 or 8 GB of space, or you just didn't actually attempt to use any of the files past the real capacity so you didn't notice that they were corrupted.
The Chinese are notorious for doing this, and the branding isn't a way to tell if a card is fake, since they'll just print whatever branding they feel like.
That's why on this forum everyone will always say to only buy memory cards from reputable stores and never from eBay, China/HK sites (including all flashcart stores no matter where they are based since they get their stock from China), or 3rd party Amazon sellers. It's best to stick to 1st party Amazon or other reputable online stores, or a local store near you.

mattlandry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks guys this has been really helpful. I'll just buy one from walmart if the one coming in doesn't work. Jdbye you are right, my 8GB one for the 3DS was previously my largest SD card. It's been great for years doing tons of deleting and rewriting though. Luckily for wii u, I install all games to a USB stick so it's usually not a big deal to lose the SD card data. I really hope I get lucky and this next one works at least to install a few larger games.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't get it. Legit ones are literally sold for 11 - 16 bucks and people are even too cheap for that. What's up with the cheap ass attitude with everyone on here with piracy, fake products and all that? Gaming is literally luxury and you can't/won't afford a few extra bucks so you take the risk to get screwed. Makes sense when you already spent 300'ish on multiple gaming systems.

Reactions: wicksand420

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a application for windows called H2testw, you can see how big the sd you have really is with it, i'll bet its like 2gb

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Don't all SD cards eventually stop working? :glare:
normal sd cards can retain data for 10-20 years very likely more, i know earlier flash storage was 10 years, i know the flash data will eventually erase itself but it can last a really long time, but you can still plug into a device and use it again
they do have a number or writes, if you spend days using writing tools in purpose or the good old defrag you will wear it out fast..
but with a card of ebay you are lucky to get a 8Gb card that is not a 2 GB with a hacked controller that either starts corrupting stuff after the 2GB mark or writes over the data already in it

mattlandry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't get it. Legit ones are literally sold for 11 - 16 bucks and people are even too cheap for that. What's up with the cheap ass attitude with everyone on here with piracy, fake products and all that? Gaming is literally luxury and you can't/won't afford a few extra bucks so you take the risk to get screwed. Makes sense when you already spent 300'ish on multiple gaming systems.

Believe it or not, some people pirate because they can't afford the games. I barely afforded the used console and had to spend the last of my left over money on the SD card. If I knew these cheap ones didn't work I wouldn't have bought it obviously but I've had no issues in the past. When you're broke, saving $10 is very helpful around xmas time. Anyway I know now and I'm getting my refund and getting a better one.

Reactions: BullyWiiPlaza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...