• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I think that the sole fact of having this boycott idea in the air is enough.
Think about it.

If a couple of countries were to boycott the olympics, what would happen?
The olympic games would take place anyway, and the Chinese government would be under slight political pressure.
And sport would suffer from the absence of these countries. But do you really believe that this would make China change the Tibet situation? I don't believe so.

The fact that this boycott is seriously considered by some countries should already be enough for China to realize that the world does care.

That's just my two cents, not that I've been following the whole thing closely.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Renegade_R said:
it'll free up the HD signal bandwidth

Might I suggest you read basic signal sending one more time.*

Personally I rate the US behind China when it comes to human rights these days but you already blocked any wisecracks along those lines at the start of the thread. Also as I have not bothered to watch what passes for news these days (and skimming through it just to pull it apart would kind of defeat the point of that) I am not equipped to do a point by point breakdown.

"As for the 63 year old retort it still holds up because had it not been for my grandparents 63 years ago, there is a good chance your grandparents would have been put in an oven."
[insert snide remark about event further back in history where the situation was "reversed".] Also the concept of "generational gratitude" (outside the actual "generation" that did it perhaps and even then you will have to make a good case and it would not be a whole "generation") is something I find comical.

"If a couple of countries were to boycott the olympics, what would happen?"
See "USA boycott 1980 olympics". Even during the "Russia/USSR is evil phase" it did not do a whole lot.

* this is probably where I find some moron decided tailored/shared broadcast was a good idea for a mass delivery system is it not? If you mean some form of shared bandwidth for internet ignore me.

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly has the Olympics really meant anything in the past 20 years? I mean, f*ck the World Cup has more meaning than the Olympics do/does....

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DarkAura said:
gblock247 said:
Honestly has the Olympics really meant anything in the past 20 years? I mean, f*ck the World Cup has more meaning than the Olympics do/does....
Olympics are for national pride. Thats good enough for me.

It's one step from national pride to jingoism ... especially for Americans
wink.gif

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
thebobevil said:
DarkAura said:
gblock247 said:

wink.gif
Yah but at least people still watch it.

Off topic. I always thought your name was bobtheevil for some reason.
unsure.gif

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DarkAura said:
thebobevil said:
DarkAura said:
gblock247 said:

wink.gif
Yah but at least people still watch it.

Off topic. I always thought your name was bobtheevil for some reason.
unsure.gif

I was BobEvil for years, but then too many BobEvil's started appearing, so I became the defintive article
smile.gif

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Boycotting the Olympics will have zero impact on the political policies within China, therefore athletes who have trained hard for years should not be denied their opportunity to compete on the world stage just because somebody thinks sending a 'message' would be a good idea.

PBC

What!? I can change this??
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If china asks for attention on the world stage then why not give it to them.

It is too bad that it has to be negative attention but they should not be allowed to do as they have been.

This was an issue before the olympics and it will be one afterwards. That is no less, rather MORE of a reason to rub their damn faces in the fact that they are set to be the center of world focus and perhaps they should act more responsible. I don't claim to think that if a country boycotted the olympics it would change much on the political scale. I think individuals should just...not watch it.
You wouldn't be supporting your own, which is troublesome.

The fact that China was even considered in the first place showed that the olympics doesn't really give a care about Tibetian rights. But I say any news is good news.

I.E Give them hell before the olympics. Give them hell during. Give them hell after.
I don't need an excuse to support human rights. The olympic is just a very good time to bring it up...seeing how it is supposed to encourage peace.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PBC said:
I.E Give them hell before the olympics. Give them hell during. Give them hell after.
I don't need an excuse to support human rights. The olympic is just a very good time to bring it up...seeing how it is supposed to encourage peace.

I have no problem with giving them hell in the media, I just don't think athletes should suffer because of political issues.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Boycotting the Olympic Games wont fix anything while all the countries in the world keep supporting and making more powerful China's economy everyday.

And just in case some clueless person out there think so: I have nothing against Chinese people in general

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
Renegade_R said:
it'll free up the HD signal bandwidth

Might I suggest you read basic signal sending one more time.*

Personally I rate the US behind China when it comes to human rights these days but you already blocked any wisecracks along those lines at the start of the thread. Also as I have not bothered to watch what passes for news these days (and skimming through it just to pull it apart would kind of defeat the point of that) I am not equipped to do a point by point breakdown.

"As for the 63 year old retort it still holds up because had it not been for my grandparents 63 years ago, there is a good chance your grandparents would have been put in an oven."
[insert snide remark about event further back in history where the situation was "reversed".] Also the concept of "generational gratitude" (outside the actual "generation" that did it perhaps and even then you will have to make a good case and it would not be a whole "generation") is something I find comical.

"If a couple of countries were to boycott the olympics, what would happen?"
See "USA boycott 1980 olympics". Even during the "Russia/USSR is evil phase" it did not do a whole lot.

* this is probably where I find some moron decided tailored/shared broadcast was a good idea for a mass delivery system is it not? If you mean some form of shared bandwidth for internet ignore me.

I was actually referring to the internet for HD delivery with IPTV and also with the digital cable we have over here, big events like the Superbowl or NHL Finals get heavily compressed so it can be sent over the digital cable network. Which is why I also have an antenna connected to my ATSC...because over the air signals aren't compressed as heavily.

Side note...anyone see how the Tibetan protesters attacked the disabled torch bearer in Paris? That's humans exercising their rights??? Right?

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yuyuyup said:
I dono why the olympics is celebrated with the hitler torch run http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7330949.stm

by the way I learned this tidbit of info today from The Rachael Maddow Show on Air America Radio
I learned it from CNN (unfortunately)...they definately made sure to emphasize the nazism and swazstikas in it.

I'm sure they won't be mentioning that when the USA gets the Olympics again.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got my own problems without worrying about China, Tibet or the Olympics. While I have no plans to cause any further problems for any of that stuff, I won't be watching the Olympics either....never have.

As for political problems in some other country......I couldn't care less. All political BS is just that, BS!

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wonder how credible the Tibetans truly are. The Chinese government purportedly found a few people on the death list released by the Tibetans as alive and well, while other people on the list had actually never existed. But seeming as this is Xin Hua's news agency, it's hard to believe who. I don't like the Tibetans myself, seeing as they're causing so much violence already. If they want to have a proper say, they should do it peacefully, not with violence or destruction. The same applies with China. They shouldn't use violence to quell the people, but neither should they sit on their hands watching people destroy a city they've spent tens of millions of yuan into.

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Bob Loblaw said:
eh, if you boycotted the U.S. nazis would run Europe.

The point is to not let China have anything good because they don't let their people have anything good.

As far as I see it, America fought Japan in WWII and Britain fought the Nazis. Don't take credit for something you didn't do
tongue.gif

You're one of those people that think a person should die if they kill someone.
dry.gif

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Seazn said:
Bob Loblaw said:
eh, if you boycotted the U.S. nazis would run Europe.

The point is to not let China have anything good because they don't let their people have anything good.

As far as I see it, America fought Japan in WWII and Britain fought the Nazis. Don't take credit for something you didn't do
tongue.gif

You're one of those people that think a person should die if they kill someone.
dry.gif

LOL! WHAT!? Where the f*** did you go to school?!?! That's cute that you think there weren't American soldiers assisting the British army like there had been since WW1.

Until America came over the nazis were slowly and surely taking over Europe. And you know what the response is from a lot of people when you defend America by telling them America saved their grandparents from an oven, giving them a chance for a future generation? It's usually "Oh, that again..." or "You didn't get here soon enough!" Fucking pompous audacity.

Go back to school.

This is what happened before America came in:

In Western Europe, British troops deployed to the Continent but neither Germany nor the Allies launched direct attacks on the other. In April, Germany invaded Denmark and Norway to secure shipments of iron-ore from Sweden which the allies would try to disrupt. Denmark immediately capitulated, and despite Allied support Norway was conquered within two months.British discontent over the Norwegian campaign led to the replacement of Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain by Winston Churchill on May 10th.
On that same day, Germany invaded France and the Low Countries, making rapid progress using blitzkrieg tactics. By the end of the month the Netherlands and Belgium had been overrun and British troops were forced to evacuate the continent, abandoning their heavy equipment. On June 10th, Italy invaded, declaring war on both France and the United Kingdom; twelve days later France surrendered and was soon divided into German and Italian occupation zones, and an unoccupied rump state under the Vichy Regime. In early July, the British attacked the French fleet in Algeria to prevent their seizure by Germany.

With France neutralized, the Axis was emboldened. Germany began an air superiority campaign over Britain to prepare for an invasion and enjoyed success against an over-extended Royal Navy, using U-boats against British shipping in the Atlantic. Italy began operations in the Mediterranean, initiating a siege of Malta in June, conquering British Somaliland in August, and making an incursion into British-held Egypt in early September. Japan increased its blockade of China in September by seizing several bases in the northern part of the now-isolated French Indochina.
--------
That's from the Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt(RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR MILITARY HISTORY)

Looks like you guys were doing great without us! (That's sarcasm)

And just for the record, I'm not some proud yank. I had nothing to do with the war, I wasn't even born. I just hate when America bashers don't realize if it wasn't for the country they hate, they wouldn't be here today.
The U.S. has done plenty of unsavory things since then(Iraq...to name one), yes. But, so hasn't every country. Including the U.K.(Ireland...to name one) And what this topic is about - China, who ravage their own people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Oh? What did you take to get Hi? :angry: