Bought VGA-2000 box for Wii to show on LCD monitor, but...

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by just4747, Oct 21, 2008.

1. just4747
    OP

Newcomer just4747 Advanced Member

United States
    I bought a VGA-2000 high-res component box off eBay (HERE) and it works great except that, like other people have mentioned on some forums, the screen changes to a little fuzzy to the point of where you cannot play when you try to play a few things: certain Wii emulators (like the GEN and NES emulators) and certain backed up Gamecube games that don't give you the option to switch to progressive scan mode at the beginning of the game startup (like Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes for instance).

Is there a way around this for those certain exceptions? Most Gamecube games I've tried have asked me if I want to use progressive mode at the beginning and when I choose it, the game looks superb from them on, no fuzziness or blurriness at all. But some Gamecube games don't give you that option and stay shitty looking and you cannot get it to look clear as far as I know..same for I think all the emulators. All Wii games, all Homebrew apps, and even VC classic games like old NES and SEGA and N64 games that are from the store work and look great, but again, not Homebrew emulators and certain Gamecube games. Is there a way to get these to look good using the VGA box?

So nobody knows anything about this?

2. just4747
    OP

United States
    bump, anybody????

3. chaseincats

Member chaseincats GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  4. just4747
    OP

United States
    wow, what a....helpful forum

5. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Some emu's of mine don't work with my vga box.

The GBC one doesn't work for me, but the NES and SNES do work for me.

I don't know exactly what they are, like what release etc, but Im sure if you download the latest ones with the Homebrew browser most will work.

Edit: That's the exact same one I have. I got it from DX though. I found that if I plug the USB cable into my Xbox 360 or my laptop the fuzzyness goes away. So try plugging the USB cable into different sources. eg, PC's, Laptops, Xbox 360's, etc.

6. ComplicatioN

Member ComplicatioN Broken Barriers

Australia
    can't respect anyone to reply

7. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Hey lolfreak expect or respect?

If you meant respect your a dickhead, but if you meant expect your not a dickhead, just a wanker.

8. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Well what you are experiencing is very common and easy to explain.
    It has to do with the way most vga boxes work.
    Practically, most of them are only able to display at least 480p resolution ( which would translate in 640x480 on your monitor ) because they don't have a built in scaler.
    Now since your Wii actually outputs at 480p, there is no problem, and that is true for 99% of the Wii games as well, but there are a few which were ported from the PS2 that don't actuallu support 480p, and you'll never be able to view them on your monitor.
    Same thing with GC games. While a lot of them supported progressive scan, some didn't , or maybe you had the option to switch to progressive within the game's menu, but since you can't see squat before you can get to that point, it's useless.
    Furthermore some emulators, like the VC run at 480p, while others at 480i ( interlaced ) that's why they look wors on an HD tv or vga monitor.
    It all comes down to what runs at 480p and what does not.
    Of course there are more expencive vga boxes out there with a built in image scaler, which can actually upscale their input to a given HD resolution ( 480p,720p etc..) but don't expect to find them cheap.
    If you are stuck with yours, you should at least have a regular TV near by to play all those games that still run in interlaced mode.
    It reminds me of the Dreamcast days: while the DC itself was able to output a native VGA image at 640x480 via an official or unofficial VGA box, some games wouldn't run on it, hence some of the VGA boxes ( included mine ) came with an s-video output to connect to a regular TV in case the game wasn't compatible with the VGA box itself.
    Wile some vga boxes today are able to upscale the picture anyway, the result is a blurry and noisy picture, which of course is very disappointing.
    If I knew all of this before, I would have bought a 16:9 standard tube TV instead of an HD LCD tv, which anyway disappoints me when I need to play something less then 480p.
    Even my TV does a less then stellar job to upscale images, that's why if I could , I would have gotten something else.