Bought PS2 already modded, any way to identify modchip?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by sYndrome13, Sep 23, 2009.

1. sYndrome13
    OP

Member sYndrome13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When I bought my Playstation 2 a few years ago, it was already modded by a previous owner. The guy had told me that a DMS4 was installed, but I later discovered (much to my dismay) that that was not the case when I wasn't able to install ToxicOS.

I

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Nope. There's no way, if the modchip doesn't display the name on boot-up. It could have a internal menu which could show up pressing a combination of buttons, but seeing how many mods were on the market, you'd probably lose ages in trying all of them (and since most PS2 modchip sites are now offline, it'd be probably difficult searching for the button combos).

Your best shot is opening it. And even by opening it, you could lose some time to identify it, since most modchips makers don't care to write their name on them [​IMG]

3. sYndrome13
    OP

United States
    Okay, that's what I figured. [​IMG] It's bad news, but thanks nevertheless. At least now I know what I'm working with.

How risky is opening the system and about how long does it take? If it's a fairly easy procedure and doesn't take too long, then I might give it a shot.

4. sYndrome13
    OP

United States
    Okay, I know this is a long shot, but this is the text that was on the sticker that was attached to the top of the PS2 when I received it:
    Could those instructions at least narrow down which modchip it is?