OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamerfootprint.com
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a black New 3DS XL from GameStop last night but sadly, it was on 9.4 so therefore not compatible with Gateway. It seems that I have missed initial launch window of old stock by a couple of weeks. I was holding out until I heard confirmation of Gateway support on New 3DS.

I have an old 3DS on 4.2 so no worries on being able to use Gateway, however, I'm considering selling my New 3DS XL and getting one that is compatible with Gateway. Is there any definitive method for determining the pre-installed firmware on a unit without having to unbox? I could potentially return to GameStop, but I doubt they have any old stock. I have seen somewhere that if the serial number begins with 1000, it should be on 9.2 or below. While it's nice to have the ability to play my ambassador GBA games again on my New 3DS XL, I have several other ways to play GBA games on the go so that is not a huge issue.

Suthek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is this the first mention of a 9.4 black model?!?!
I suggest returning it and buying another at a different store. Might not be too late.

and post the serials to the N3DS serial page.

pcmantinker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamerfootprint.com
XP
Country
United States
I could possibly return it, but I would be taking a gamble at this point on whether the next one I purchased would be on 9.2 or lower. I'm not sure if Nintendo instructed retailers to update all of their units to above 9.2 so that could be an issue. Also, I did notice that there was no tamper proof tape on the box so it could have been opened, updated, formatted, and repackaged.

Suthek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I could possibly return it, but I would be taking a gamble at this point on whether the next one I purchased would be on 9.2 or lower. I'm not sure if Nintendo instructed retailers to update all of their units to above 9.2 so that could be an issue. Also, I did notice that there was no tamper proof tape on the box so it could have been opened, updated, formatted, and repackaged.

I'm not sure how someone would have updated to 9.4 though... No game includes the 9.4 update? And 9.5 was released when the console came out.
It's not gambling if you bring the serial ID list with you to the store. Then you can just check the boxes for one that matches the KNOWN GOOD serials.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a black New 3DS XL from GameStop last night but sadly, it was on 9.4 so therefore not compatible with Gateway. It seems that I have missed initial launch window of old stock by a couple of weeks. I was holding out until I heard confirmation of Gateway support on New 3DS.

I have an old 3DS on 4.2 so no worries on being able to use Gateway, however, I'm considering selling my New 3DS XL and getting one that is compatible with Gateway. Is there any definitive method for determining the pre-installed firmware on a unit without having to unbox? I could potentially return to GameStop, but I doubt they have any old stock. I have seen somewhere that if the serial number begins with 1000, it should be on 9.2 or below. While it's nice to have the ability to play my ambassador GBA games again on my New 3DS XL, I have several other ways to play GBA games on the go so that is not a huge issue.
I just bought a n3ds xl from target yesterday and it was on 9.0.0-20U, try going to places that dont sell stock as fast and perhaps youll be lucky.

Reactions: pcmantinker

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It seems like the best course of action is print out the list of serials, return the N3DS, and see if I can find another N3DS with one of the supported serials.
When I got mine, I walked right into a GameStop, looked around, for a box with the serial number number I wanted, and asked them for the console that was supposed to go with it. I then powered it up, IN THE STORE, and checked the version number, all while explaining that I needed it for hacks. They were totally cool with it, and basically said "If the serial number is important to you, it's important to us.". They're good guys, just be forward and actually buy the console when you find it, and don't try to come back later, that's rude.

PS, safe serial numbers for US consoles are the following:

QW10XXXXXXXX X
QW4000XXXXXX X to QW4024XXXXXX X

Buy, Check, go home if good or return if bad.

Enjoy!

pcmantinker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamerfootprint.com
XP
Country
United States
I ended up buying a different N3DS XL from Target and it was on 9.0.0-20U. I will be selling my other one because GameStop won't take it back as new since I opened the box and booted it up at home. The best they could do is give me $100 trade-in credit which I don't want. I'm sure I can recoup most of the costs on eBay for my 9.4 system.

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up buying a different N3DS XL from Target and it was on 9.0.0-20U. I will be selling my other one because GameStop won't take it back as new since I opened the box and booted it up at home. The best they could do is give me $100 trade-in credit which I don't want. I'm sure I can recoup most of the costs on eBay for my 9.4 system.
Yeah, target has been good to me on gaming deals and hardware, I always check there because for some reason people don't seem to purchase their gaming goods from there.

Sorry bout gamestop, thats why I dont shop there much at all.

jrebey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's BS! There is no tamper sticker. Clean it up, format system memory, and return it to another gamestop neatly packed up in the box as long as you didn't scratch it up or damage it in any way.

The brand new N3DSXL I bought from gamestop had fingerprints on it when I pulled it out of the box. I'm pretty sure the employees played it and wrapped it back up but it looked fine so I didn't care.

Reactions: Maximilious

alin72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought gamestop won't let you return any opened items. That's why I avoided purchasing any system from them.. I would try my luck at Bestbuy or Target.

HEX1GON

YEEEEEERRRRRRSSSSS
Trophies
XP
Country
Nah they have to accept returns, can easily say there's a dead pixel or something. 9 times out of 10 they won't bother to see if you're telling the truth.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah they have to accept returns, can easily say there's a dead pixel or something. 9 times out of 10 they won't bother to see if you're telling the truth.

You're from Australia, land of consumer rights. Those don't exist where he's from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0