Hacking Bought n3ds xl...screen and 3d effect worse than o3ds xl!

jason90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Was expecting a better 3ds experience after reading the reviews ect about how much better the screens are on the n3ds xl and how the super stable makes the 3d amazing...it ended up being useless and the quality of the screen noticeably worse, a yellow tinted mess. To top it off it had 9.4 lol anyway sent it back but I no longer feel the urge to get the n3ds and might just keep my o3ds...I was very disappointed to say the least...am I the only one who has had this experience with the new hardware?

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
maybe you got a bad unit ? you are the 1st one i hear him complain about the quality of the screen & 3d effect on the n3ds xl !! the n3ds xl is better than the old 3ds xl in every way.

StarOfDoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was expecting a better 3ds experience after reading the reviews ect about how much better the screens are on the n3ds xl and how the super stable makes the 3d amazing...it ended up being useless and the quality of the screen noticeably worse, a yellow tinted mess. To top it off it had 9.4 lol anyway sent it back but I no longer feel the urge to get the n3ds and might just keep my o3ds...I was very disappointed to say the least...am I the only one who has had this experience with the new hardware?

Mine is amazing compared to my friend's o3ds... you might have just gotten a faulty one tbh.

froggydarren

Trophies
XP
Country
You had a faulty console the 3d effect was a mess on the older models due to that silly sweetspot you had to be in to get it to work...

Yellow tint must be a bad screen surly???

jason90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah I guess so because i was comparing the old to the new one beside each other and the new had a distinctive yellow tint that made everything look noticeably worse.plus I tried to recalibrate the 3d and found the 3d effect to be worse than the old one,to top it off the hinge was loose and would slide up and down, it was a new batch as it had the tomodochi life preview thing...I think I'll need to head into a store and see if I can test and pick one after my experience of buying one from amazon.

froggydarren

Trophies
XP
Country
Ya man I got a ambassador edition and not had a problem love the screen and the improvements to load times and only just found out you can watch 3d videos on YouTube lol...

jason90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thing is ive read many posts that its now pretty hard to find brand new n3ds xl below 9.4 so I had have to look on ebay and end up asking a bunch of people what firmware its on lol....uh

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The yellow tint issue is fairly common, it's caused by the backlight being poorly calibrated. Can also look pinkish or bluish, since it's ultimately a color temperature problem.

Your only option is to return and keep trying, there are better units out there, though perfect units are very rare (once you consider other problems these systems have, especially with the screen.)

jason90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Funny the first few people stated it's rare that I complained about the quality of the n3ds screen and then someone says its very common. The yellow tint on my model was terrible imo, if that's acceptable to most people I am surprised. I guess my o3ds xl has a pretty well calibrated screen.Do the ips variants also suffer from wide spread poor calibration? I have read there is a worlds difference between the yellowiah tn screens and the ips ones.I think all the review units must of been the ips variant, I wouldn't/couldn't put up with the former

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well nobody actually knows how "bad" yours was, its not like we seen it, its common to have variations in the colour temps, but most are fairly ok, very slighly off, but then there would be the more uncommon wayyyy off the scale yellow tintage

sanni

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are two different kinds of screens in the new 3ds, one that sucks and one that's great. You can find more about it on google.

D

Deleted-19228

Nah. They are both fine. His complaint is legitimately a bad screen. There's an IPS and a TN lcd screen. The TN is better than the IPS, which makes no sense. But in any case what you have is a bad screen.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im with everyone else.

My n3ds displays 3d prrtty damn good.
Now its not wear near my 3d tb with glasses.
But i dont have to be in the sweet spot to play. The head tracking works great and i even used it in the dark.

jason90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wasn't like wow the screen looks so yellow when I first turned it on but when compared to my old one it looked noticeably yellow/worse than my old one, anyway i'm on the hunt now for a replacement, hope to find a good'un by next week, will report back when I have it, if the second one is terrible I'll just give up it's too much hastle to keep buying and returning thing's, wish me luck lol

froggydarren

Trophies
XP
Country
really never seen a bad 3ds screen apart the first models that look more washed out compered to the XL and 'new' models is there a way to find out what screen you have at all?

I have no problems with mine just wondering if I have one of the better screens...

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think what you mean you need to put it on the right size.
Yiou can look in a topic for the right firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...