Hacking Bought Jasper xbox 360 supposedly jtag but think I got ripped off

Murmandamus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey sorry to be asking such a weird question but I bought a jasper phat supposed to be jtag but has no hdd the guy said he added a mtu ( no idea what that is) memory add-on when I cut it on it shows a 500 mb drive for saving games etc to and I thought no xbox had internal memory anyway he said to use a USB stick to add xexmenu and freestyle dash and I loaded everything on the stick using horizon I stick it in the Xbox and cut it on I get a e71 error with a 1 red light in the ring if I cut it on then add the stick I can see the files for xexmenu but won't let me load them or anything and the guy is not replying anymore to calls or texts so is there anything I can do to see if it's been Modded or am I just a$$ out on my money I am not well versed in xbox molding I've Modded my ps2 psp psVita and new 3ds with a9lh from the plia guide so I can follow directions and am not a total noon but pretty close any help would be so appreciated if there's any info needed to help diagnose the issue please tell what's needed and I'll update the thread thank you for any help.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seems you bought a 512MB Jasper unit (an arcade one)

I'd suggest getting a 1TB 2.5 inch HDD and a 360 HDD enclosure (T-mart.com has them for cheap) so you can keep everything internally (no more messing around with USB drives)
After that, follow this guide and it'll guide you through the setup of your JTAG + Freestyle dash.

Edit: to check if it's really a JTAG/RGH, boot the console with the eject button.
if a blue screen with XELL RELOADED or XELLOUS or something like that pops up, then you know it's a hacked machine.

Last edited by DinohScene,

Superman

Trophies
XP
Country
Edit: to check if it's really a JTAG/RGH, boot the console with the eject button.
if a blue screen with XELL RELOADED or XELLOUS or something like that pops up, then you know it's a hacked machine.
True to an extent, unless the person who performed the installation set a different XELL button in the advanced XeBuild settings.
For example, he/she could have chosen the regular power button, or wired controller X. (see below image for all possible settings)
But yes, normally a simple power on with eject should highlight whether the console is modified to run homebrew or not, but not always.

9606bc6cfa0609b816586336438f10d9.png

So the only way to get a definitive answer, would be to open the console to see if a glitch chip is present (in which case the console will be an RGH/R-JTAG/R-JTOP) or if there is some sort of diodes/aud_clamp installation (J-TAG).

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
True to an extent, unless the person who performed the installation set a different XELL button in the advanced XeBuild settings.
For example, he/she could have chosen the regular power button, or wired controller X. (see below image for all possible settings)
But yes, normally a simple power on with eject should highlight whether the console is modified to run homebrew or not, but not always.

9606bc6cfa0609b816586336438f10d9.png

So the only way to get a definitive answer, would be to open the console to see if a glitch chip is present (in which case the console will be an RGH/R-JTAG/R-JTOP) or if there is some sort of diodes/aud_clamp installation (J-TAG).

Not many people do this.
Especially not the ones that use FSD on it.

Murmandamus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both for the Help ill try the eject trick & if i get nothing ill open it up i just dont understand why it gives the e71 error if the usb with xex menu & FSD on it is pluged in before it powers on. anyway thanks again ill see what happens when i make it home.

EDIT Also is there a firmware/dashboard it has to be on to be modded? seems i recall something about that like a ps3 with 3.55?

Last edited by Murmandamus,

Superman

Trophies
XP
Country
Not many people do this.
Especially not the ones that use FSD on it.
I know not many people do this, I'm yet to find a person who has, but I was just merely pointing it out just in case.
Thank you both for the Help ill try the eject trick & if i get nothing ill open it up i just dont understand why it gives the e71 error if the usb with xex menu & FSD on it is pluged in before it powers on. anyway thanks again ill see what happens when i make it home.

EDIT Also is there a firmware/dashboard it has to be on to be modded? seems i recall something about that like a ps3 with 3.55?
No problem Sir. And there is a Kernel (dashboard) it has to be on to be modded, but then it can be updated.
If the Kernel is below 7371 (rare), it can be J-TAG'd, which in my opinion, is the best exploit.
If the Kernel is equal to 7371 (rare), it might be JTAG'able. It all depends on if the CB has patched the exploit, which you can only find out once dumped your NAND.
If the Kernel is below 14699 , it can be RGH'd using the RGH 1 method, which is the most reliable RGH method.
If the Kernel is equal to 14699, it might be RGH1'able. It all depends on if the CB has patched the exploit, which you can only find out once dumped your NAND.
If the Kernel is 14719 or above, it can be R-JTAG'd, which has boot times and reliability of that closer to the J-TAG and RGH1 exploit.
If the Kernel is 14719 or above, it can be R-JTOP'd, which essentially is the same thing as the R-JTAG except, open source. Which means you do not need to use a TX chip to do it.
If the Kernel is 14699 or above, the RGH2 method can be used, but not recommended for PHATs, as it is unreliable and doesn't provide great boot times.
If the Kernel is 14699 or above, the RGH1.2 method can be used, which is more reliable and has better boot times, as it uses the RGH2 exploit, with wiring similar to the first RGH exploit.
If the console is a Slim, RGH 2 is *usually* used, as it is the most supported exploit for slims, but S-RGH and other exploits are available.

But all of these exploits can be updated to newer dashboards, just the exploit must have been performed on the required dashes.

ReigningSemtex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They aren't too difficult to open up and you should see the extra wiring, if he has done the jtag or rgh he's already opened the case and it should be fairly trouble free to open.
My rgh has a small extra board with a blue (i think) led that I can see a small amount of light through the casing when I power it on.
Been a while since I used mine and install methods might vary but you would definitely be able to notice comparing to a picture of a stock 360 board

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Most if not all RGH chips indeed have debug leds that blink/light up when the console receives power.

Edit: Seeing all the chips are placed on the AV port in phatties, one can deffo see them through the top ventilation slots.

ReigningSemtex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah mine is a phat and can confirm it's mounted on the av port, I forgot to mention that to open it you would need something to undo the torx screws (t15 I think).
Hope you manage to get the xbox sorted or at least manage to get your money back from possible scumbag seller

Murmandamus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey again want to thank you guys for all your help but I got burnt it's not a jtag no extra wires or any led lights I can see it looks stock to me srry took so long to reply been trying to get my money back but dude won't reply to emails or phone calls should known better using Craigslist for Modded console buying. Does anyone know someone who does modding for a reasonable price or any ideas would be appreciated thanks again.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If its jtag the wiring may be on the underside of the console. You only get e71 errot when usb is plugged in? Its been quite some time, i would need to research it.

E71 error is the Failed update error (on stock consoles atleast)
Problem with Xam.xex.

CloudStrife1901

Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds to me you got ripped off, the first thing you should of done is if you collected the Xbox was to see if it was all good, asked the seller to show you what is what.

I got my JTAG system by swapping my PSP go for it off somebody on Facebook,

Murmandamus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey srry about the sporadic replys i work out of town and dont always have access to internet. anyway yes it boots up fine without the usb with the xex & freestyledash info on it it plays discs and if i inset the usb after it boots no error and itll show the files but as corrupt. i read something about having to go into the .ini file and change it to get it to work if it was jtag. ill take it part again when i get home tonight and pull the whole thing apart where should i be looking like this image i added is the type i have so going from that where should any wires or chips be etc and does it have to have a led light? and @CloudStrife1901 i check craigslist when im in new areas working and have never had a bad exchange and he had the xbox for 100 which i thought was decent and since most ppl want 100 just to do the mod on your system and buying premodded is just outrageous like 250-300 and since ive found great stuff before and never had a bad exchange until this one i trusted dudes word which was stupid but i had a spare 250 gb laptop HDD it wouldnt cost anything extra except a HDD case as ive read you can use non microsoft HDD if its jtaged/modded etc so lesson learned i alrdy had a 360 tho so now im stuck with another one mainly wanted it to play the shmups that cost like 100-200 used like muchi muchi pork and espaluda 2 ginga force etc so thought id go this route for my shooter fix. anyway thanks again for all the help ill be back home tomorrow night and ill check under it to and ill see if its even jtagable since u need a specific dash and i forgot to write it down lol

Attachments

• download.jpe
    download.jpe
    11.9 KB · Views: 445
Last edited by Murmandamus,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.