Hacking Bought another softmodded Wii and can't get the games to load from my old HDD

eefrat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
Here's my story, and I sure hope I can find a solution with the experts here :).
I have a soft modded wii that I modded a good few years ago (maybe 2011?). We have USB Loader GX (v.2.1) and a SUB HDD that we used for all those years. One day (and I have no idea why or what changed, but it could have been that someone changed something...), our USB connected instruments in Lego Rock Band stopped connecting. We tried all sorts of things and even buying a new Wii USB hub, which did not work. We checked the USB connection by playing Rock Band 3 from the CD-Rom drive and these same tools did connect. I can also see that the lights on the drums and Guitar don't light up when loading the game from USB Loader GX anymore.
All games work as before. Perfectly.

We wanted to play Lego Rock Band from USB Loader, so I bought another softmodded Wii. It came "ready to use". So I unplugged my old Wii and plugged in my new one. It has newer USB Loader GX (3.0) and all sorts of other stuff on it.
To my dismay, when I connected the USB HDD, with all the games, I can start USB Loader GX, and I see all the games (the HDD is formatted WFSB), but NO game will load now. It gives me a black screen and then this Error has occurred message and I have to hard-shutdown the Wii.

I read many forum threads and nothing helped for me. I installed that new d2X cIOS v8 as instructed by Cyan but that didn't help. I played with the loader parameters, but that doesn't help. Nothing. Nada.

I then downloaded ModMii and created the custom guide and did that as well, reinstalled all the WADs. Everything. Made sure there are no STUBS... still the same - black screen and unable to read that USB HDD. It is a simple USB HDD formatted with WFSB which BackupManager can easily read.

I then went and took another USB HDD and copied 3 games onto it. Just to make sure it is not the HDD. Same result. Can't read the games off that new USB HDD.

I am NOT touching the older Wii's system b/c all other games work and it is only the instruments that don't connect anymore. On the newer Wii the USB lights on the instruments look "healthier" so I have hope there... if I could just load the damn games........ off that new one.

I also tried switching the SD cards and using the old one on the new Wii and the new one on the old Wii... with same results. Games on the USB Loader GX v3.0 when stuck in the SD slot of my older Wii are still played off of the HDD. It is just on the new one (it is not new... I bought it softmodded on ebay) that won't play any game off of that perfectly working USB HDD that I have all the games on :(.

Both systems are 4.3U.

In conclusion. I now have:
One Wii that won't connect the USB instruments when loading Lego Rockband from USB
One Wii that won't load any game from that same HDD. Since this is the new one, I don't mind resetting it completely and hacking it again from scratch, if that's an option...

Solving either or both problems would make my daughter a very happy camper!!!

Thank you experts, in advance!! and sorry for the long message....
Eli

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D2X V10 alt 53 CFW should fix both problems when used with a newer build of USB Loader GX.
the alt version is needed for USB instruments to work alongside the HDD since the regular D2X only supports one usb port, which is then used by the HDD.

eefrat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the new one with D2X V8 does not load any game from the USB HDD, which is connected to Port 0, even of the USB hub is not connected at all (no instruments are connected). So why would v10 succeed where V8 did not in that case?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the new one with D2X V8 does not load any game from the USB HDD, which is connected to Port 0, even of the USB hub is not connected at all (no instruments are connected). So why would v10 succeed where V8 did not in that case?

that sounds like a loader problem, try the newest USB loader GX, it should load games even under V8. V10 53 Alt is needed for instruments as more than one USB port will be in use.

if that fails, install D2X V10 53 Alt. it could be that V8 is incorrectly installed and the loader is not using it correctly.

correct install should be
Base 56: IOS249
Base 57: IOS250
------------- Optional----------
Base 58: IOS251

https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/

--EDIT
HDD should always be port0 and instruments on port 1, v10 53 Alt supports hotplug so the instruments should work even when connected while in-game.

Last edited by driverdis,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
d2x v10 beta 53 is only useful if you have to use another USB port for your HDD other than port 0. It has issues with game compatibility. It is NOT so you can use the other USB port for peripherals. That's already handled by the game and modules in the IOS. It can actually prevent USB controllers from working. It also matters what the base IOS for the d2x you have installed in the slot is. IOS 56 won't work with some titles like Call of Duty series, Just Dance series, etc. and I don't think it supports USB controllers properly. Those titles need a cIOS based on IOS 57 or the one they're written for.

@OP: Definitely update the loader before you bother with installing new cIOSes.

Also, run a SysCheck on it and see what's on the console's NAND. There's no telling if you didn't mod it yourself. :) You can post the syscheck.csv (in spoiler tags) here.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

eefrat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I kinda figured the dual USB thing... but since I have not done these things in a VERY long time, and these are new to me, I thought I'd give it a shot. I mean, I have been using instruments perfectly with the old USB Loader GX 2.1 and whatever much older cIOS on my older wii perfectly for so long... and I am pretty sure that the dual USB thing is for two drives, not one drive + peripherals.

In any case, I tried both updating to v10 (will now downgrade, as I hear you on v8 vs. v10) and also upgraded the USB Loader GX from v3.0 1260 to 1262. Neither worked. It goes black with ANY game (I have 272 games on that drive) and the remote loses connection with the Wii and then after a few long seconds, the screen becomes grayish and the remote can connect again, but still nothing on the screen. After a few more secs, I get that error.

I will output SysCheck and will post it here (If I figure out where to post it ;-)).

Thanks!
Eli

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are actually two v10s. Beta 52 is fine if v8 doesn't work with your HDD for some reason. (My drive enclosure doesn't like v8.) Beta 53 is the one that has worse game compatibility and support for HDDs on both USB ports.

You can just copy the csv contents in a text editor and paste it into a message.

eefrat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guidance. Here it is:
(I did not downgrade yet to v8. Forgot. That HDD drive never gave me any trouble before, for years, and I am not yet at "game compatibility ;). I can't open any of them...)

sysCheck v2.1.0b13 by Double_A and R2-D2199
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priilaoder installed
Homebrew Channel 1.0.0 running on IOS0
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 107088970
Boot2 v4
Found 117 titles.
Found 49 IOS on this console. 5 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[75] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-al): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-al): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65280): Stub
BC v6
MIOS v10

Report generated on 2016/11/02.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try changing the d2x you have installed as IOS 249/250 to v10-beta52 instead of beta53. 53 is only for users that have to use a port other than USB 0 for hard drives and it has game and EmuNAND compatibility issues.

eefrat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try changing the d2x you have installed as IOS 249/250 to v10-beta52 instead of beta53. 53 is only for users that have to use a port other than USB 0 for hard drives and it has game and EmuNAND compatibility issues.
Thank you GreyWolf. And the rest is all OK? I am asking b/c previously, before this thread, I had the d2x v8 installed, and it should not have all the illnesses of beta 53 and should have worked find. In any case, I will try beta 52 as well.
Is there a way to delete/reset everything from that wii and just start from scratch? Softmod it again starting from a clean slate?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you GreyWolf. And the rest is all OK? I am asking b/c previously, before this thread, I had the d2x v8 installed, and it should not have all the illnesses of beta 53 and should have worked find. In any case, I will try beta 52 as well.
Is there a way to delete/reset everything from that wii and just start from scratch? Softmod it again starting from a clean slate?

You can but it's tedious and not really necessary. The IOSes are basically different firmwares for the console and only the one that's loaded does anything so having one you don't use on the console doesn't affect the rest of them.

You can use something like AnyTitle Deleter to remove them but it's not a very user-friendly or safe process.

eefrat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well... tried that of course and it didn't work. As soon as I choose a game and I ask it to play the screen goes black and then what you can see is that the Wii remote loses connection to the Wii while that happens. You can then reconnect it but you get that Error message.

Help!

Did my SysCheck look OK?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/