Hacking Bought a Wii U for Zelda

Rottytops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know of modding/hacking, I'm interested in hacking, but can anyone tell me if playing an official copy of Breath of Wild will break any mods I'll make in the future?

My experience with console hacking is updates = bad, and games might = updates, ergo new games = caution.

Being my 1st post, and my 1st experience with a Wii U, I'm out of the loop regarding any Wii U-related mod information. Can anyone here tell me if Breath of the Wild will prevent any of the guides for exploits I might read up later?

clancy94

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know of modding/hacking, I'm interested in hacking, but can anyone tell me if playing an official copy of Breath of Wild will break any mods I'll make in the future?

My experience with console hacking is updates = bad, and games might = updates, ergo new games = caution.

Being my 1st post, and my 1st experience with a Wii U, I'm out of the loop regarding any Wii U-related mod information. Can anyone here tell me if Breath of the Wild will prevent any of the guides for exploits I might read up later?
So I'm guessing your Wii U is on system firmware 5.5.1(U/E/J)? All hacks/mods will work aslong as you don't update the system firmware. Buying/playing & updating the Zelda BoTW game will not affect it but to be on the safe side of things you can block updates from Nintendo using the first part of this guide: https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

I fully hacked my Wii U following this guide aswell :)

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it will not. And considering the highest firmware is still 5.5.1, you can connect to the Nintendo servers and eShop if you want to purchase a DS game for CBHC. I would still recommend blocking update servers via DNS-U, but as I mentioned, you can access the eShop and download things easily beforehand.

Rottytops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm guessing your Wii U is on system firmware 5.5.1(U/E/J)? All hacks/mods will work aslong as you don't update the system firmware. Buying/playing & updating the Zelda BoTW game will not affect it but to be on the safe side of things you can block updates from Nintendo using the first part of this guide: https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

I fully hacked my Wii U following this guide aswell :)
I don't know anything about it because it isn't here physically yet (in the mail), but a google search tells me 5.5.1 is the latest, has been that for awhile, and most current hacks is for that version.

My experience in updates is with 3DS and PSP where a new game can force an update or come packaged with one and requires an install to play. But I also haven't really modded a system in 2 years so I'm out of the loop now. Since some people got Zelda early, I was curious if Nintendo is or was going to give the Wii U one last security patch to celebrate Breath of the Wild.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No it will not. And considering the highest firmware is still 5.5.1, you can connect to the Nintendo servers and eShop if you want to purchase a DS game for CBHC. I would still recommend blocking update servers via DNS-U, but as I mentioned, you can access the eShop and download things easily beforehand.
I read that you can't use a microSD with an adapter, it has to be a full SD. Is that true or was it just garbage info? I have a ton of microSD cards with adapters from 2GB-64GB but not one full SD card.

Last edited by Rottytops,

clancy94

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't know anything about it because it isn't here physically yet (in the mail), but a google search tells me 5.5.1 is the latest, has been that for awhile, and most current hacks is for that version.

My experience in updates is with 3DS and PSP where a new game can force an update or come packaged with one and requires an install to play. But I also haven't really modded a system in 2 years so I'm out of the loop now. Since some people got Zelda early, I was curious if Nintendo is or was going to give the Wii U one last security patch to celebrate Breath of the Wild.

I read that you can't use a microSD with an adapter, it has to be a full SD. Is that true or was it just garbage info? I have a ton of microSD cards with adapters from 2GB-64GB but not one full SD card.
Unsure on the first part, just wait for other people to post if its forcing a system update or not.

But i use a 32gb MicroSD card in a full SD adapter without any issue.

Rottytops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all for your input.

OMFG I just went on eBay to buy a copy of Mario Maker and they're advertising a 10% off coupon code that could have literally saved me $30 on the Wii U+Zelda just hours after I made the purchase. I'm so mad.

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm wondering this too. I've just had a notification that my copy of BotW has arrived so I wanted to check there wasn't an on-disc update.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering this too. I've just had a notification that my copy of BotW has arrived so I wanted to check there wasn't an on-disc update.
Bro if an on disc update was out then nobody would be able to play the leak. Also they would need to plan an update months in advance so all botw discs have it and everything

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
The leak is completely clean, it was ripped for nus and even has a legit tik

Well that's another reason the leak wouldn't have had an on disc update - because it wasn't a backup of the disc. As long as I know it's safe to say yes to whatever the game asks when I put it in (which I do know now).

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's another reason the leak wouldn't have had an on disc update - because it wasn't a backup of the disc. As long as I know it's safe to say yes to whatever the game asks when I put it in (which I do know now).
The game update (legit one) was ripped from a disc, it's required because according to a data miner it contains the models for npcs
For some reason botw says new system update when the game update data is missing...

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@xtheman166 is correct. European users have the disc already. The update is game update only. When you go to play the game on English versions it says you need to update the system. Then a German user reported that his version translated to say that the game needed to be updated. Everybody breathed a sigh of relief and applied the update. System still on 5.5.1

There is no system update on disc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night