1. yadspi

OP yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Bought a used Switch Lite with skin "oil" / worn out plastic, the hands and fingers are imprinted on the back and button borders, the plastic there is shiny and has no texture. Is there a solution besides buying a replacement shell?

2. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    There are lots of suggestions on the web about getting finger oil off plastic, can't say if they will work in this case though. My OG Switch has the same oil/worn out spots that you are describing and I couldn't get rid of it with cleaners. No cleaner will fix the loss of texture though. If it bothers me enough I'll do what I did to my 3ds.

What I did on the 3ds: sand it down a little and repaint. I actually used 'truck bed paint' which gave it a nice grip texture.

Not sure how difficult it would be on a Switch Lite. Same as a shell replacement i suppose.

You might be able to get away with fine grit sandpaper and simply 'resurface' the shell without needing to paint it.

yadspi likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    That is the "soft touch" coating wearing off (which as far as I know is just a slightly textured/roughed finish on the plastic, not actually anything sprayed on the outside, though I'm not sure), you can try to use some sort of spray to create a similar coating, not likely it will look/feel the exact same though.
    The only way to make it feel like new again is with replacement shells.

yadspi likes this.
  4. yadspi

Reading both answers...I don't mind IF I can remove the "soft" coating , I just hate that some parts are shiny plastic and some look and feel new. If I can make the plastic all around "shiny" it would be great. I searched replacement housings and none are grey or have the Nintendo logo (as in actual housing from a damage one)
    20200825_133856.jpg 20200825_133845.jpg

Last edited by yadspi, Aug 26, 2020
  5. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Canada
    This has been an issue since the New 3DS. I've always washed my hands before playing and while that's unavoidable it's not even skin oils necessarily, and there is no way to significantly improve it with cleaning. Anything other than soap and water will further smooth that moulding. Within a week any brand new joycon has that worn down sheen.
    I'd assume that Nintendo wanted the cheapest plastic possible, as sadly that's just how they've operated since the blue ocean strategy, where I suppose the unintended benefit of it is being sort of soft to hold. I personally have just tried to ignore it but it probably would look better just to wear down the whole damn thing.

yadspi likes this.
  6. yadspi

I bought it in "mint" condition, " only opened to take pictures" and the thing was like the pictures and even had a cracked tempered glass protector....at least it has no drift. I opened an eBay complaint and he told me that he never played it and only took it out of the box to take pictures and can't accept a return or partial refund so I'm waiting on eBay to decide. If only I could find the gray backplate new, the front looks ok.

7. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Canada
    Like I said with Nintendo's hardware now, you only get about a week's worth of use of it looking new anyway, no matter how careful. You will get that same wear around the front buttons soon. Unless you plan on using it as just a display with an external controller, and you're sure the hardware is fine, I'd just keep it, fwiw.

TheCasualties likes this.
  8. yadspi

Oh it's ok, it just that I paid full retail price for it thinking it was mint/new and if I don't get a least a partial refund it's gonna drive me nuts looking at it. I also have a regular Switch, this one was just for playing portable and not take out the regular one as it's a launch day unit and gets hot and noisy in portable mode. Depending what eBay decide I might look into a clear atomic purple shell and follow a video.

TheCasualties and Zap Rowsdower like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - plastic, Bought, Switch