Hacking Bought a used Phat 360 - Need some help.....

Nacam

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Everyone;

New to the 360, I bought one used that is not modified in any way. I have the skills to do most things with the exception of soldering more than one or two wires.

I Determined the following:
Xbox 360 Phat
Falcon Motherboard
Dashboard/Kernel 2.0.16202.0
DVD Drive - Phillips LiteON - dg-16D25

Ideally I'd like to:
1. Upgrade the hard drive to 750GB WD Black (Compatible drive standing by).
2. Flash the DVD Drive to play backed up games.
3. If possible - Copy the games to the internal drive to play instead of using disks.
4. If any of the above is not possible by doing the mods myself, I would entertain an external drive to store games.

I do not need to play online and would not want this console connected to the internet. I would just want to play games offline.

There's so many options in the tutorials I quickly get lost in it as it gets confusing as to what I can / can't do depending on what I've determined my console is. If anyone could guide me in the right direction I would definately appreciate it.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Everyone;

New to the 360, I bought one used that is not modified in any way. I have the skills to do most things with the exception of soldering more than one or two wires.

I Determined the following:
Xbox 360 Phat
Falcon Motherboard
Dashboard/Kernel 2.0.16202.0
DVD Drive - Phillips LiteON - dg-16D25

Ideally I'd like to:
1. Upgrade the hard drive to 750GB WD Black (Compatible drive standing by).
2. Flash the DVD Drive to play backed up games.
3. If possible - Copy the games to the internal drive to play instead of using disks.
4. If any of the above is not possible by doing the mods myself, I would entertain an external drive to store games.

I do not need to play online and would not want this console connected to the internet. I would just want to play games offline.

There's so many options in the tutorials I quickly get lost in it as it gets confusing as to what I can / can't do depending on what I've determined my console is. If anyone could guide me in the right direction I would definately appreciate it.

3 Options here

1. RGH as mentioned, you will than have the ability to use any HDD, store on games on HDD etc. Requires hardware, patience and some pretty good soldering skills.

2. DVD mod only, requires hardware, no soldering, can only play burned DVD.

3. ODE ( X360KEY ) requires hardware, no soldering, can use an external HDD.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
No offense but why on earth did you buy fat one?
Its the worst possible console you could get. I still remember the nightmares I had with 2 of mine.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Its the worst possible console you could get. I still remember the nightmares I had with 2 of mine.
Jaspers are strong going.
Falcons, I got a Falcon RGH, never had any problems with it.

Xenons and Zephyrs are the worst.
Not all of the phats are bad.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also phat units are child's play for flashing the DVD drive, thatsvwhy i always opt forva phat unit when available. As long as its not a Xenon you can RROD proof it pretty well. Xenon's are a fire waiting to happen lol don't even bother, over the years i 'be had two rrod and one literally go up in smoke without warning lol. Now I have a falcon (I'd rather a jasper for obvious reasons, but if you know what you're doing in terms of rrod prevention, a falcon is pretty reliable)

OP if all you're looking for is to play backups, flash ur drive (cheapest royte) or get an ODE for playing them off a USB drive.

If ur not an experienced solderer, I really don't recommend RGHing....

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I regret RGHing my old Phat 360 Pro, rrod a week later lol! My older phat 360n arcade still works like a charm though. Maybe one day I will do something to it.

Probably fucked something up then.
RGH shouldn't RRoD consoles.

Also phat units are child's play for flashing the DVD drive, thatsvwhy i always opt forva phat unit when available. As long as its not a Xenon you can RROD proof it pretty well. Xenon's are a fire waiting to happen lol don't even bother, over the years i 'be had two rrod and one literally go up in smoke without warning lol. Now I have a falcon (I'd rather a jasper for obvious reasons, but if you know what you're doing in terms of rrod prevention, a falcon is pretty reliable)

OP if all you're looking for is to play backups, flash ur drive (cheapest royte) or get an ODE for playing them off a USB drive.

If ur not an experienced solderer, I really don't recommend RGHing....

You drunk?
Damn your spelling is.... horrible

As for "RROD" prevention, you can't really prevent it unless you reball it.
Cutting away the mesh in the back of the chassis will work a bit, so does cutting a hole into the side and placing an intake fan in it.
But it won't prevent it completely.
RRoD will happen one day due to the way it's manufactured.
Thank you EU? for banning leaded solder.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably fucked something up then.
RGH shouldn't RRoD consoles.

You drunk?
Damn your spelling is.... horrible

As for "RROD" prevention, you can't really prevent it unless you reball it.
Cutting away the mesh in the back of the chassis will work a bit, so does cutting a hole into the side and placing an intake fan in it.
But it won't prevent it completely.
RRoD will happen one day due to the way it's manufactured.
Thank you EU? for banning leaded solder.

No typed that on my phone and was too lazy to go back and fix it lol.

I know nothings perfect but there are things you can do for RROD prevention even if your pretty noobish when it comes to soldering. 12v fan mod, cutting chassis for better airflow (assuming you know what you're doing, or you could make it worse), putting higher quality thermal paste on the GPU and CPU etc....

But if you have a Xenon don't even bother lmao....

Last edited by TeamScriptKiddies, , Reason: Stupid phone.... ><

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No typed that on my phone and was too lazy to go back and fix it lol.

I know nothings perfect but there are things you can do for RROD prevention even if your pretty noobish when it comes to soldering. 12v fan mod, cutting chassis for better airflow (assuming you know what you're doing, or you could make it worse), putting higher quality thermal paste on the GPU and CPU etc....

But if you have a Xenon don't even bother lmao....

Fair enough.
Looked like you where drunk ;p

Aye, it's quite doable, but some people cling to it badly.
Just like some people are so extremely keen on fixing an RROD Xenon.
Wasting idk how many hours and money when in the end, they just buy a new one...

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."