Hacking Bought a switch today and SX pro just arrived , what i should do next ?

Lallo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fine, here's a guide that details it a little more clearly. Note: this guide is somewhat outdated so when you see download links for Hekate, use the one I linked you to instead since that Hekate is more up to date.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/

A good enough tool can do a NAND backup leaving as little trace as possible. All you're really doing is copying the files onto the SD card. Think of it as dumping your cartridge. And one use that some people may resort to is using a NAND backup made prior to using any hacks and going online with it. At that point, the only ban risk you would have accumulated from that NAND dump is by running Hekate and dumping the NAND. Far safer than everything else that is possible but possibly not foolproof.

Thank you!

DNStuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am in the same situation as OP so I didn't want to create my own thread.

I personally have no idea what anyone is talking about so what are some good "getting started" tutorials?

I have no idea what a nandbackup is and I also have no idea what burning fusess is. Are you talking about literally burning fusess?

I am terribly sorry for coming across as the n00b I am but this is why I am asking here so I can learn and understand all this.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am in the same situation as OP so I didn't want to create my own thread.

I personally have no idea what anyone is talking about so what are some good "getting started" tutorials?

I have no idea what a nandbackup is and I also have no idea what burning fusess is. Are you talking about literally burning fusess?

I am terribly sorry for coming across as the n00b I am but this is why I am asking here so I can learn and understand all this.
Fine, here's a guide that details it a little more clearly. Note: this guide is somewhat outdated so when you see download links for Hekate, use the one I linked you to instead since that Hekate is more up to date.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/.
This is a pretty good tutorial that will teach you the basics of every part of how the exploit works to setting up. Lets move onto terminology.

Your computer is basically your hard drive. You can see all of the files on it, modify them, and make a backup in case you get the blue screen of death or something. The Switch has something similar to it which is referred to as the NAND. This stores all of the files that let the Switch run properly as well as double as storage space for downloadable content. The problem is Nintendo designed the Switch such that you cannot even touch the contents of the NAND. This means if you were to hack your Switch and it gets bricked, you would have no way of recovering it without a backup. This is why people primarily make NAND backups. Now we move onto the fuses.

The Nintendo Switch has literal fuses in it. How you imagine it is not really important here, but what you should understand is that when they are burnt, it is treated as permanent modifications to the system. But when are they burned? During certain system updates, the Switch will permanently burn a fuse within the console. Why you may ask? Because this acts as an anti-downgrade mechanism. The Switch compares the number of fuses burnt with the current firmware you are running. If they don't match, it won't let you use the console. You can find a list of the fuses and firmwares here. Once you understand that, then we can move onto how we can update our firmware without burning fuses allowing us to bypass the downgrade mechanism and boot any firmware at will.

Reactions: DNStuff

Lallo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is a pretty good tutorial that will teach you the basics of every part of how the exploit works to setting up. Lets move onto terminology.

Your computer is basically your hard drive. You can see all of the files on it, modify them, and make a backup in case you get the blue screen of death or something. The Switch has something similar to it which is referred to as the NAND. This stores all of the files that let the Switch run properly as well as double as storage space for downloadable content. The problem is Nintendo designed the Switch such that you cannot even touch the contents of the NAND. This means if you were to hack your Switch and it gets bricked, you would have no way of recovering it without a backup. This is why people primarily make NAND backups. Now we move onto the fuses.

The Nintendo Switch has literal fuses in it. How you imagine it is not really important here, but what you should understand is that when they are burnt, it is treated as permanent modifications to the system. But when are they burned? During certain system updates, the Switch will permanently burn a fuse within the console. Why you may ask? Because this acts as an anti-downgrade mechanism. The Switch compares the number of fuses burnt with the current firmware you are running. If they don't match, it won't let you use the console. You can find a list of the fuses and firmwares here. Once you understand that, then we can move onto how we can update our firmware without burning fuses allowing us to bypass the downgrade mechanism and boot any firmware at will.

Thank you for this explaining post!

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/

A good enough tool can do a NAND backup leaving as little trace as possible. All you're really doing is copying the files onto the SD card. Think of it as dumping your cartridge. And one use that some people may resort to is using a NAND backup made prior to using any hacks and going online with it. At that point, the only ban risk you would have accumulated from that NAND dump is by running Hekate and dumping the NAND. Far safer than everything else that is possible but possibly not foolproof.

I made a backup, but didn't quite understand the order and did the whole validating my license and going into the SX OS one time, before rebooting and getting hekate loaded up. I don't think it will cause any issues down the road, but I suppose I should have reversed this order.

So without rebooting, how do I "eject" a SX OS library loaded game, if I want to play a physical cart game?

Is there any devmenu type apps development in the works, to be able to install DLC easier? (as in not using a tool considered to be "dangerous" overall)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a backup, but didn't quite understand the order and did the whole validating my license and going into the SX OS one time, before rebooting and getting hekate loaded up. I don't think it will cause any issues down the road, but I suppose I should have reversed this order.

So without rebooting, how do I "eject" a SX OS library loaded game, if I want to play a physical cart game?

Is there any devmenu type apps development in the works, to be able to install DLC easier? (as in not using a tool considered to be "dangerous" overall)
There is no eject option, but according to this thread, there shouldn't be any issues.

As for your other question, Tinfoil cannot install DLC at the moment but it is a planned feature.

djorn2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally received my SX Pro. I am ready to test if my system is hackable.

1. Make a nandbackup
2. Update to 5.1 (I need extFat support and no concern about running atmosphere OS with older FW)
3. go online for a first time and download pokemon quest for devmenu ( cuz i really want nsp's for eshop games and updates)
4.wipe out wireless setings, go offline
5.make another nand backup
6.load up SX os for a First time

But I decided to test first if fusee is working and I got the following results. I got a good one.........

https://imgur.com/a/Y3TX7jq

I'm going to proceed with step 1, if everyone can confirm if I am good to go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6v3cT3b59A&t=12s