Hacking Bought a ps3-seems to be already hacked? Need some advice

xwizit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, i bought a ps3 slim on 4.72 firmware and it has something called rebug and package installer on it-im assuming this has already been softmodded? i can see a lot of things on the rebug program like cobra and somethingman.

I have some Qs

Is it safe to restore the ps3 to factory settings? will i lose the hack?

Can i update to 4.82 if it has been hacked?

Where do i go for all the cool shit here? Like ps2 installation psx installation etc?

Thanks in advance-new to this ps3 thing didnt even expect it to be modded

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE="xwizit, post: 7862652, member: 386254"]
[/QUOTE]

it is safe to reset to factory settings don't worry about that, firmware is stored where you can't accidentally wipe it.

Yes, you can update, just grab the latest rebug and go straight to rebug 4.82 without the hassle of rehacking, just grab it from there website, link below

All the cool shit is already baked in, you need to do nothing other than install a loader, I personally use multiman to boot my games but there are a few options out there, install it with the package manager. another link below

The only thing to boot PS2 and PS1 games you need to create a PSXiso folder and a Ps2iso folder on your hard drive, this can be done via FTP or using multiman file manager.
PS3 games go in the games folder

https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-82-1-cobra-7-54-lite-toolbox-2-02-15-dec-4th-2017/

https://store.brewology.com/get/homebrew.php?id=24&fid=2111

Last edited by yusuo,

xwizit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It is safe to reset to factory settings don't worry about that, firmware is stored where you can't accidentally wipe it.

Yes, you can update, just grab the latest rebug and go straight to rebug 4.82 without the hassle of rehacking, just grab it from there website, link below

All the cool shit is already baked in, you need to do nothing other than install a loader, I personally use multiman to boot my games but there are a few options out there, install it with the package manager. another link below

https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-82-1-cobra-7-54-lite-toolbox-2-02-15-dec-4th-2017/

https://store.brewology.com/get/homebrew.php?id=24&fid=2111

Hey thanks so much for the reply, i hve googled a lot today since i got this console and tbh i didnt even know the ps3 was hackable LOL i was not in the scene at all and when i saw rebug i was like ???????? lets go to gbatemp!!

So rebug, what i can gather, is this where all the magic is done? what is it used for i can see a LOT of settings/tweaks in there should i leave it alone?

Oh also, i want to upgrade the harddrive on this console, is it as easy as removing the harddrive and putting the new one in? will rebug be lost? will i need to start from scratch?

The YOLO in me says fuck it and wing it, but i dont wanna lose what i accidentally got LOL

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i bought a ps3 slim on 4.72 firmware and it has something called rebug and package installer on it-im assuming this has already been softmodded? i can see a lot of things on the rebug program like cobra and somethingman.

I have some Qs

Is it safe to restore the ps3 to factory settings? will i lose the hack?

Can i update to 4.82 if it has been hacked?

Where do i go for all the cool shit here? Like ps2 installation psx installation etc?

Thanks in advance-new to this ps3 thing didnt even expect it to be modded
Hey thanks so much for the reply, i hve googled a lot today since i got this console and tbh i didnt even know the ps3 was hackable LOL i was not in the scene at all and when i saw rebug i was like ???????? lets go to gbatemp!!

So rebug, what i can gather, is this where all the magic is done? what is it used for i can see a LOT of settings/tweaks in there should i leave it alone?

Oh also, i want to upgrade the harddrive on this console, is it as easy as removing the harddrive and putting the new one in? will rebug be lost? will i need to start from scratch?

The YOLO in me says fuck it and wing it, but i dont wanna lose what i accidentally got LOL

Rebug is just an alternative firmware with a few baked in goodies you don't really need to mess with.

If you want to upgrade the hard drive you will lose rebug but the PS3 is hackable on the latest firmware anyway so of you're confident enough you can just rehack after all is up and running again, it's not too difficult to be fair and there are many guides and this forum to help you

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update it to the latest release of rebug REX edition (4.81)
Find the firmware and all that at rebug.me

Once on 4.81 you can spoof to 4.82 using
The latest release of SEN enabler. Once spoofed you should use either SEN Enabler or PSN patch to safely clear history and disable syscalls before trying to log in this should help keep you from being banned.(Though giveb its alrrady hacked it could be banned so you may or may not be able to log in.)

You are perfectly safe to wipe all previous user data.

To install ps1/2 games simply enable cobra through the rebug toolbox (enable webman as well) put the game images on your FAT32 formatted external USB drive in there respective folders (PSXISO for psone and PS2ISO for ps2.) These can also be installed to the internal drive in the same folders. Do note that psp and ps2 games aare hit and miss on non BC consoles. There are also PKG files for these types of games. They can be installed by putting them on the root of your usb and going to the pkg managrr on the xmb. The pkg type often require activation though. Youll need to find a tool called react PSN for that. You should be able to find a tutorial for it somewhere too.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Rebug is just an alternative firmware with a few baked in goodies you don't really need to mess with.

If you want to upgrade the hard drive you will lose rebug but the PS3 is hackable on the latest firmware anyway so of you're confident enough you can just rehack after all is up and running again, it's not too difficult to be fair and there are many guides and this forum to help you
Not true when installing a new drive the system asks to reinstall the firmware from a USB stick. Use the latest rebug firmware to do this. You will retain CFW

xwizit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks to both posts ^

yes i am confident the actual hacking itself from what ive seen is quite easy but i would definitely feel more confident starting from scratch so i know exactly where my console stands when i have completed it myself

So am i correct in assuming--->

Buy new hard drive
Install new hard drive
Restore to factory
update to OFW 4.82
Start from scratch (hack)

None of these steps will take me to a potential brick correct?? thats the main thing i am worried about

OH i saw above, so changing HDD is fairly simple? Should i upgrade the rebug thingy to 4.82 first then change hdds?

Man, i feel like im trying to take in years of scene info in a day LOL

Last edited by xwizit,

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are all entirely ununnecesary. You cab start fresh by installing a new drive and when prompted to reinatall the firmware simply install rebug 4.81 and if prompted to restore user data decline. If not promted and it does so automativcally just do a factory reset you will still be on CFW and the system will be fresh and not have any modifications to it aside from the rebug firmware which is the ideal firmware for most users. (Since all games work fine on it and you can spoof to the latest version for PSN)

This also reduces the potential for you to damage the device. While the current exploit is stable it can and has bricked devices. Firmware updates can brick too if you loose power in the middle but its a lot less llikely.

Also like i said the latest rebug REX edition is the most feature rich CFW and you can use SEN enabler to spoof to 4.82 once its installed. This will mimic the latest firmware update allowing you to go online. Just be sure to use SEN enabler to clear history and disable syscalls before you try to log in and do not set auto login on.

xwizit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Those are all entirely ununnecesary. You cab start fresh by installing a new drive and when prompted to reinatall the firmware simply install rebug 4.81 and if prompted to restore user data decline. If not promted and it does so automativcally just do a factory reset you will still be on CFW and the system will be fresh and not have any modifications to it aside from the rebug firmware which is the ideal firmware for most users. (Since all games work fine on it and you can spoof to the latest version for PSN)

This also reduces the potential for you to damage the device. While the current exploit is stable it can and has bricked devices. Firmware updates can brick too if you loose power in the middle but its a lot less llikely.

I see. So i should first update to rebug 4.82 on my *current* HDD thats in the ps3, then once its all done, replace the hdd, and i will be asked if i want to move the CFW across? am i reading correctly?

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes sort of. First install rebug REX 4.81 (i know 4.82 is the latest firmware but youll spoof to that later)

Once on the that firmware install your new drive. This process will prompt you to "reinstall system software. Just use the rebug firmware you just installed yes. After that if there is any remaining user data simply do a factory reset. You will be on a fresh console with CFW already installed now and can proceed from there.

xwizit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes sort of. First install rebug REX 4.81 (i know 4.82 is the latest firmware but youll spoof to that later)

Once on the that firmware install your new drive. This process will prompt you to "reinstall system software. Just use the rebug firmware you just installed yes. After that if there is any remaining user data simply do a factory reset. You will be on a fresh console with CFW already installed now and can proceed from there.

Ok! will do some more reading this weekend, i think im on a very old rebug (only had a quick look, then gf needed the tv) but thanks so much all for the advice. This forum has been a godsend to me for the past 15+ years!!!

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update it to the latest release of rebug REX edition (4.81)
Find the firmware and all that at rebug.me

Once on 4.81 you can spoof to 4.82 using
The latest release of SEN enabler. Once spoofed you should use either SEN Enabler or PSN patch to safely clear history and disable syscalls before trying to log in this should help keep you from being banned.(Though giveb its alrrady hacked it could be banned so you may or may not be able to log in.)

You are perfectly safe to wipe all previous user data.

To install ps1/2 games simply enable cobra through the rebug toolbox (enable webman as well) put the game images on your FAT32 formatted external USB drive in there respective folders (PSXISO for psone and PS2ISO for ps2.) These can also be installed to the internal drive in the same folders. Do note that psp and ps2 games aare hit and miss on non BC consoles. There are also PKG files for these types of games. They can be installed by putting them on the root of your usb and going to the pkg managrr on the xmb. The pkg type often require activation though. Youll need to find a tool called react PSN for that. You should be able to find a tutorial for it somewhere too.

Not true when installing a new drive the system asks to reinstall the firmware from a USB stick. Use the latest rebug firmware to do this. You will retain CFW
No you won't, I literally done this 2 days ago, upgraded to 1tb hard drive and when I tried to reinstall rebug it kept coming up corrupted. I had to go back to ofw

Maybe I just got unlucky

Last edited by yusuo,

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once done with that part onstall the rebug toolbox (you can find it in the pkg manager.) Use the toolbox to enable cobra and webman.

After that install the latest SEN enabler by placing the pkg file on the root of your usb and going to the pkg manager. You can thwn use this app to spoof to 4.82 and prepare your machine to log in. The history and syscalls shiuld be cleared and disabled each time before you log in and do not use homebrew while logged in.

xwizit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If i dont plan on using PSN at all, like ever, should i not worry about the SEN enabler?

Im still trying to read how to get these install files on the unit haha. Ill get there!

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No you won't, I literally done this 2 days ago, upgraded to 1tb hard drive and when I tried to reinstall rebug it kept coming up corrupted. I had to go back to ofw

Maybe I just got unlucky
Ive update and upgraded dozens dozedozensof PS3 consoles you should be able to install CFW. If you are unable to this is an issue either with the pup file or the USB device.

If i dont plan on using PSN at all, like ever, should i not worry about the SEN enabler?

Im still trying to read how to get these install files on the unit haha. Ill get there!
Yea if you plan on staying offline just go to the debug settings menu on your rebug console and look for a setting called np environment. Change it from "np" to "invalid" (removing the quotes)

Doing the above settings change disables all access to PSN without blocking you from using the web browser or other internet related apps.

xwizit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive update and upgraded dozens dozedozensof PS3 consoles you should be able to install CFW. If you are unable to this is an issue either with the pup file or the USB device.

Yea if you plan on staying offline just go to the debug settings menu on your rebug console and look for a setting called np environment. Change it from "np" to "invalid" (removing the quotes)

Sweet! im taking notes. for now last Q i think, ive read sizes up to 1.5TB work fine, apart from that, any other potential problems i should look out for with buying a new HDD for the PS3?

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lower end drives will cause lage in the XMB with large amounts of games. So the best advice i can give here is dont go cheap.

Maybe I just got unlucky
Also to note is that you should only try reinstalling your current firmware. As trying to update with a new HDD has proven problematic over time.

Reactions: xwizit

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The lower end drives will cause lage in the XMB with large amounts of games. So the best advice i can give here is dont go cheap.

Also to note is that you should only try reinstalling your current firmware. As trying to update with a new HDD has proven problematic over time.
Maybe I was just just unlucky then but i had 4.82 rebug, put in new drive and tried to reinstall 4.82 rebug but it didn't like it, had to go back to ofw but it wasn't a huge headache so not a huge issue. I used the same pup and the same usb throughout the process so safe mode just didn't like the firmware

One thing i would mention is online is sketchy and there is a possibility of being banned. My advice, if you choose to go online I use a different psn Id from my ps4 as I don't want my id being banned

Last edited by yusuo,
Reactions: mikey420

xwizit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well guys i did it, i updated to 4.81 rebug and installed multiman and have been playing around with stuff.

Was curious, is there any way to install my physical games to the XMB without using webman and multiman? like as in basically installing it to hdd like a "psn bubble"?

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are ways to build a pkg version of retail games but compatability isnt perfect. Often you can find copies of the game through other sources as a psn version. I cant mention what to do here but there are things to easily download games.

xwizit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks mikey! im actually all set i figured out how to do ps2 and psx already. Think im pretty much all set! Last step is to try and set up FTP. I have some iso on my PC that are quite large, whats the best way to get them to my ps3?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1