Gaming Bought a new destkop but i don't know if it is a good one

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If that doesn't help, it should give you a message how to enter the BIOS. If you look around, you might find which MB you have. It is important you do not make any changes in the BIOS. So to be on the safe side, don't save the settings when you EXIT the BIOS (Exit without saving).
I made some photos hope you know which one is the mobo

Attachments

• 2012-02-15 22.31.22.jpg
    2012-02-15 22.31.22.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 187

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If that doesn't help, it should give you a message how to enter the BIOS. If you look around, you might find which MB you have. It is important you do not make any changes in the BIOS. So to be on the safe side, don't save the settings when you EXIT the BIOS (Exit without saving).
I made some photos hope you know which one is the mobo

Thanks, but that is too small for me to read. I take it the screen that you paused on (before you entered the BIOS) didn't tell you. I suggest that you wait and use the internet somewhere and try and download and save something like Speccy from Piriform.com that I suggested to you earlier and run that.

The script I put earlier requires Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime to be installed BTW.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the help i will try that program tomarrow also that script thing

Please try 'Speccy' first, though :) . The script was not mine, like I said. It will require you to have Visual Basic from Microsoft installed. You run it at your own risk.

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh i forgot something
On the bios menu it said master ide atapi cdrom
is that maybe the mobo

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you're looking for the mobo model, one of the fastest way to find it is to open your case and look for a series of character (usually between 4 and 8 char) usually located around the north bridge, between the expansion slot or next to the ram slots.

However, getting a model number won't help, even if the board was manufactured by a reputable company like asus, when they are designed and produced for builders like packard bell, it's PB's responsibility to service and support them, meaning that the manufacturer won't produce and publish any documentation and it's PB's responsibility to do so and they don't do it. Your only chance would be if somebody made a fan site for servicing PB's computer from the same generation.

The closest thing you'll get from pb as documentation to service your desktop is that standard leaflet I found on their ftp server that supposedly shipped with all istart computer sold around 2005/2007.
ftp://ftp.download.packardbell.com/DESKTOP/iStart%20%282006-2007%29/Documents/6980810001.pdf

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would personally not recommend you to upgrade the thing at all, maybe some extra ram since its quite cheap but generally with oem pc's this old they are bound to fail at some point so its best to just save money to buy something new in the future.

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hope you didn't pay more than 30€ for it
Guys i have great news yesterday i showed my dad that that destkop is trash and i need lot of money to let it function well so my dad buyed 200 + destkop for me :blink: :yay: .
I just want to thanks you guys for all the help and i will post the specs of the new destkop today as i only know that its got windows 7 running.
So again many thanks :lol: :creep:

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
You probably won't be able to play any games from the last 10 years.

EDIT: Also, it'd be cheaper to make a whole new PC than upgrade that. You'd need a new motherboard, new RAM, probably a bigger HDD if you'd want, new PSU, new graphics card etc.
Since i'm just 15 i first want to know more about computers than i will build one as we are going to learn that on school
What school in what city? I might be able to help you learn some stuff ^^ Seeing that I am now about to finish "Medewerker ICT Beheer" and after this I'm going to do Network Management and Software engineering :)

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Since i'm just 15 i first want to know more about computers than i will build one as we are going to learn that on school
The best way to learn how a computer is assembled isn't at school with blackboard, but in your basement with a screwdriver.
That's how it started for me, that's how it started for some of the people I worked with in shops, and we were the most passionate about computer hardware.

btw, the first time I played in a computer, I was 12.

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
The best way to learn how a computer is assembled isn't at school with blackboard, but in your basement with a screwdriver.
That's how it started for me, that's how it started for some of the people I worked with in shops, and we were the most passionate about computer hardware.

Rofl, thats late. I've been around computers since my birth, and my school also teaches computer hardware, and excersises assembly and disassembly pretty heavily

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

EDIT: Also, it'd be cheaper to make a whole new PC than upgrade that. You'd need a new motherboard, new RAM, probably a bigger HDD if you'd want, new PSU, new graphics card etc.
What school in what city? I might be able to help you learn some stuff ^^ Seeing that I am now about to finish "Medewerker ICT Beheer" and after this I'm going to do Network Management and Software engineering :)
My school is a very bad school but was known for a good school.
It's name is Citycollege St Franciscus in Rotterdam i'm in the derde klas so i think i'm going to choose the NT profiel and than learn computer stuff in the HBO

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands

It's name is Citycollege St Franciscus in Rotterdam i'm in the derde klas so i think i'm going to choose the NT profiel and than learn computer stuff in the HBO
Ooooh it's second school :O I thought you were higher up, like MBO/HBO :P

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rofl, thats late. I've been around computers since my birth, and my school also teaches computer hardware, and excersises assembly and disassembly pretty heavily
dude there's a difference between "playing in a computer" and "playing with a computer"

beside, I have hard time imagining parents letting a 6yo "play" in a 1200$ 80486 like if it was a set of lego. actually, no parent should let small kid disassemble live electrical appliance.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted User

It's never too late to start learning something new. Some would argue that's really all that makes life worth living.

Reactions: 1 person

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Ooooh it's second school :O I thought you were higher up, like MBO/HBO :P
ROFL i can go to mbo if i want this year but i would rather go to hbo after havo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)