Homebrew Bought a messed up 3DS XL (OLD) can I restore from other?

dryden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys.
I bought a messed up 3ds xl (US version) the console is all kinds of messed up.
-It wont boot without the SD card on it (led goes blue and turns immediately off).
-It doesn't recognize most of game carts (as far as i can see it recognizes DS tittles but not 3DS.

The console was already something done to it, because i can boot into godmode by pressing start, and if i boot normally, i can press the slect+rtrigger+down to go to rosalina menu, but other than that, there's no signs of homebrew installed on it.

I dont know what was made to this console, but I have two questions:
- is there a way to restore it to it's original state so I can start it over if I don't have the firmware backup of it?
if not then:
- would I be able to restore a firmware from another one?
I have another just like this but instead of US it a EUR version, if i backup it now and restore it to the new weird one, could i then just also clone the sd from it and basically have a clone console working or would it not work?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys.
-It wont boot without the SD card on it (led goes blue and turns immediately off).
-It doesn't recognize most of game carts (as far as i can see it recognizes DS tittles but not 3DS.

The console was already something done to it, because i can boot into godmode by pressing start, and if i boot normally, i can press the slect+rtrigger+down to go to rosalina menu, but other than that, there's no signs of homebrew installed on it.

- is there a way to restore it to it's original state so I can start it over if I don't have the firmware backup of it?
if not then:
I have another just like this but instead of US it a EUR version, if i backup it now and restore it to the new weird one, could i then just also clone the sd from it and basically have a clone console working or would it not work?
You will brick the console if you attempt to restore a different device to that one. The ctrnand steps were not done which is why it wont boot without a sd card in it. You can look at getting that done after.
Right now. do not attempt to uninstall cfw unless its needed. its not usually why the issues are there.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys.

This does not sound messed up at all.
  1. Make sure you have at least Luma3DS v9.1 – hold (Select) while booting to get the version number
  2. Do the finalizing setup. That will make the console boot without SD and install Homebrew Launcher and some other things. boot.3dsx must already be in the root of the SD.
A 3DS does not acknowledge the presence of 3DS games from a different region… but Luma should get rid of that restriction so this is puzzling. Try opening [C:] GAMECART in GodMode9 while a 3DS game (that does not show up in Home Menu) is inserted to see if reading the cartridge works.

Where does this idea come from? And why? I just don't understand it. Why do so many people feel the need to "Just delete everything and start over!!" if they don't know what the current status of a device is? That does not sound logical to me.

Firmware repair in case of no NAND backup (create one as soons as possible!) is called CTRTransfer. Simply flashing a complete image from another console is the software equivalent of smashing the 3DS with a big hammer.

dryden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys. Following the ctrnand steps seems to have worked. Now I can boot without a SD card on it and for some weird reason game carts are working too (from all regions). On to installing lots of .cia games i go!
Thx again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free