Hacking Bought a console with a pre-modded SD card, a few questions.

mmajunkie77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my console: https://imgur.com/a/GlCFN

Basically, I'm wondering if everything looks right. I've never modded a Wii U before (only Wii) and with this one already done for me, I have no clue what to look for. I just had a few questions:

Is a system update necessary?
Would it be smart to completely start from scratch?
Is the homebrew channel up to date?
Why are there duplicate apps and which apps are completely unnecessary?
Does anything seem like it needs to be updated?
What apps will I need to accomplish playing backups?

I'm on 5.5.2 and my only goal is to play GC, Wii and Wii U backups. I noticed the SD card had Nintendont on there, but I'm not seeing it under the homebrew channel. Any help would be seriously appreciated!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might as well block updates even though you're on the latest. not sure about Nintendo, but Sony has been known to release an update over a year later. I'd suggest you keep the homebrew channel and use that to install haxchi via a ds game. Nintendon't is a Wii app to play gc games. you can link to it from the wii u menu.. you can find it pretty easily if you google it.

mmajunkie77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might as well block updates even though you're on the latest. not sure about Nintendo, but Sony has been known to release an update over a year later. I'd suggest you keep the homebrew channel and use that to install haxchi via a ds game. Nintendon't is a Wii app to play gc games. you can link to it from the wii u menu.. you can find it pretty easily if you google it.

I have updates blocked. Not familiar with Haxchi, but I've modded a few Wiis with no issues. Nintendont isn't anything new to me, but on Wii U it is. Just needed a little guidance to playing backups from a USB drive.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haxchi is cfw. there's also cbhc which is cfw upon boot of the system. I believe the only warning for that now is not to format the system. this only applies to cbhc. and, you need an sd card to install the games with. the games can be installed to either the internal flash or usb.

mmajunkie77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Haxchi for Wii U backups? I just need to what apps I need to have in order to play backups. The rest I'm well aware of what to do (running isos from external drives)

I posted an image in the main post of what my homebrew channel looks like, I'm just not sure which apps do what. I'm contemplating on starting from scratch and following a tutorial video or guide

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, the browser hax (how to install the homebrew launcher) is unstable. it works well for some, but not so much for others. I'd keep the homebrew launcher and then look at a tutorial starting at that. you could start from scratch, but like I said, the browser hax on 5.5.2 is really hit or miss. I don't know if things have changed though, but it seems a lot of people have problems with it.

you need some form of cfw to play those games. haxchi is probably the best option, but you will have to spend like $7 on the eshop to buy a compatible title. brain age is perhaps the cheapest. also, games come as installable files, not iso's.

edit: I take that back. retail games can be played without cfw, but you still need to enter the homebrew launcher to launch wup installer.

mmajunkie77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haxchi and Brain age are both on there already. So where do I go from here to play strictly Wii U backups?

EDIT: I tried installing Wind Waker HD in wup installer gx2, but got an error message saying some along the lines of "installation failed, confirm if complete wup files are in the folder." I tried installing it onto my USB drive. Any suggestions?

Last edited by mmajunkie77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :shy: