Bought a cfw 3DS, is it safe to update to 11.8?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Stella-Etoile, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Stella-Etoile
    OP

Stella-Etoile Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2018
    Canada
    Hi and sorry in advance for my absence of knowledge in regards to this topic.
    I recently bought a 3DS with custom firmware on it, and it's on 11.6 right now.
    I was able to play pokemon online until about maybe a month ago, and now I need to upgrade to 11.8 to play online.
    My device is on Luma v8.1.1 and I think it has B9S.
    I read somewhere that if I have B9S, I can update to 11.8 without any problems, but I wanted to make sure.
    Also, I am aware that Freeshop is out of service, but all of my games on the system are from Freeshop.
    Will they be deleted/made to not function if I upgrade to 11.8?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You need to update Luma3DS to v9.1 in order for it to work with 11.8.

Games previously downloaded with freeShop will continue to work.

3. Stella-Etoile
    OP

Stella-Etoile Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks so much for the input. So glad I asked before doing the update.

4. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    it really would not have mattered if you updated before just the console wouldnt boot until you updated luma3ds

5. PECONAUT

PECONAUT GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    If you had game download with freeShop before and you update to 11.8 are they going to be flag. Will updating those games somehow result in ban.

I am just confuaco with the whole freeShop fiasco.

6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Games you downloaded with freeShop are safe. The only thing the 11.8 did was change how eShop purchases are authenticated in order to break freeShop.

7. PECONAUT

PECONAUT GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    How about update?

8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you're asking if game updates are okay, they are.

9. PECONAUT

PECONAUT GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    Yeah I am asking if updating the game thru eShop is okay or do I need to download the update from the update

10. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    No, however some eshop games may not update properly as some games "update" by simply redownloading a full copy of the game that is the updated version and that will not work (you will get an error, just as if you had tried to update a decrypted/cryptofixed version of the game). Games that use separate update files/titles will work/update normally. Yes, that means when downloading new games you might want to stick with cart dumps that were converted to cia format rather than eshop rips.

Which will also break updates for games where the "update" is a full redownload of the updated version, the same as if you had used a "bad" cia like those created by plaicdn or the "cryptofixed"/decrypted cias that were popular back when n3ds emunand was stuck on firmware 9.6.

Last edited by nl255, Aug 26, 2018
  11. Stella-Etoile
    OP

Stella-Etoile Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2018
    Canada
    Updated Luma3ds to 9.1 and successfully updated my 3DS to 11.8. Thanks so much. Cheers.

Lacius likes this.