Bought a brand new Gamecube today...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by zektor, Oct 16, 2009.

1. zektor
    OP

zektor GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 29, 2005
    United States
    Every time I visit this particular Walmart in my area, I see a poor old Gamecube sitting behind Wii boxes in the glass case. It has literally been sitting there for years. Well, today I decided to ask the salesguy to price check it. He's like "It's probably still $100". So, I told him, just CHECK it anyway. It was price reduced to $49. So I said, the heck with it. Might have been the very last chance to get one fresh and new. Imagine that...buying a new GC in Oct 2009 [​IMG] I don;t think I am even going to open it. I'll just cram it away with some of my other "new" consoles [​IMG]

2. Oh Really?

Oh Really? GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I could see if it was a dreamcast or something, but a gamecube?
    Okay....I don't know why, since you can play GC games on wii, but if you have the money and want to make the gamecube feel good now that it has a home, I guess thats...alright

3. ENDscape

ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Dec 14, 2007
    ``orz
    You can sell it for more in the future. Especially since its never opened.

4. Oh Really?

Oh Really? GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    But why would anyone want it if you could play all the games and everything with a wii?

5. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    NICE! i wish my GC still worked...my lil cousin spilled juice all over it,and tried to clean it,there was juice in the controller slots and she tried to get out the juice with some water....now its all yucky and rusty and idk what to do with it...the GC had quite some good games....

6. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    maybe one of those game console collectors will buy it xD i sold my sega genesis for $200 on craigslist xD. now all thats left to sell is my PS1....

7. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    good thing you did giving a new gamecube a home making it feel good about it salf gamecubs have been known to be self consious about their shape dont cha know i have 3 unoppned game cubes eb game sold them to me at once all 3 for 50$ what a steal

8. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Some people like Gamecube for certain purposes,such as modding or hacking,like the Gamecube hand held. I guess.

9. zektor
    OP

zektor GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 29, 2005
    United States
    Well, I have been a console collector since 1978 [​IMG] If I went by this rationale, I would not buy an Atari 2600 because I already had the Colecovision with an Expansion Module #1 or vice versa [​IMG]

That said, it is pretty nice knowing that I have a new GC packed away for someday. Who knows. Maybe I'll sell it years down the road for a premium, or maybe I'll just unpack it when I retire in my old age and be one of the very few people playing around with a "new" Gamecube... 40 years from now [​IMG]

$50 was cheap as hell too. The way I see it, I got an entire system for $10 less than an average new PS3 title....and I can't tell you how many times I dumped $60 on a crappy game in my lifetime!

10. Man18

Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 6, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    modify it.

great console to modify with a chip and they have custom cases for them too.

11. Zarkz

Zarkz GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2007
    United States
    King Taco
    dem gamecubs sure is purty! I reckon I shuld go out an buy me 1.

12. soulfire

soulfire gear... secando

Sep 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    rotterdam
    damn i miss the gamecube

the best console ever [​IMG]

sonic adventure 2 XD

13. Glacius0

Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    You should see the stores in Japan. They sell gamecubes like paperweights. $25 is not uncommon. Though this was over 2 years ago.

14. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    argh.. dont remind me how i dismantled and wrecked my brand new one lol... for $35 AUD see old topic..

anyways, good stuff [​IMG]

15. Lelouch

Lelouch GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    United States
    Petersburg, AK
    I felt bad for the gamecube until you decided to buy it, nice [​IMG].