Bought a 3DS with Luma, emulators and *things* loaded on it; can’t access eShop/update games.

BreadDaddyLenin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, sorry if this is a very common or repeat question. But here goes.

I purchased a modded old model 3DS that has Luma and some *stuff* loaded onto it. I want to update this said *stuff* but it tells me my region doesn’t match, and trying to connect to eShop leaves me with an error. Some things are already the latest version and are playable online, but others ask for an update I can’t get.

I’m assuming this is due to a region break maybe? I don’t know much about this and that’s why I bought it off somebody, but I’m pretty tech savvy and get the hang of stuff pretty fast, so any assistance with restoring access to updates would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, turns out this 3DS is Japanese but got swapped to US. So, how will I have to go about fixing this or at least getting my games updated so I can play them online? just CIAs?
I think .CIA is your only way, unless you revert back to the Japanese System Menu. But that's not worth it to me.

Reactions: AmandaRose

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think .CIA is your only way, unless you revert back to the Japanese System Menu. But that's not worth it to me.
Yep as you said it would be totally pointless as yes the op would get the eshop back but would only be able to update any Japanese games on the system. Out of region games would still have to be manually updated.

Reactions: CoolMe and Jayro

BreadDaddyLenin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the noob questions, so would a .CIA update file be relatively easy? I’ve never done this before, simply bought it. But after poking around it seems like the installation of CIAs are done via FBI, right?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the noob questions, so would a .CIA update file be relatively easy? I’ve never done this before, simply bought it. But after poking around it seems like the installation of CIAs are done via FBI, right?
Correct download fbi if you don't already have it copy it to the the 3ds folder of the Sdcard then you download the cia from the Internet and copy it to the sd. Put sd card into the 3ds and start it up. Then select homebrew channel then fbi. When fbi boots select sd then select the update cia and then install. Job done.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the eshop says you're using the wrong region, chances are good that it was region swapped, yes. you can download updates from the eshop as long as the region of the eshop and game are the same, otherwise it will act like it succeeded, but it will nag you again after it's finished. that's when you need to use fbi. I think this is even true of region free games. afaik, it's based on the title id, which doesn't change with region free games, so they're also restricted by eshop region.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but hunting down the update files isn't always an easy task, since we can't mention where to get them.

BreadDaddyLenin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct download fbi if you don't already have it copy it to the the 3ds folder of the Sdcard then you download the cia from the Internet and copy it to the sd. Put sd card into the 3ds and start it up. Then select homebrew channel then fbi. When fbi boots select sd then select the update cia and then install. Job done.
Sweet, I’ve already got FBI so this will be easy as I assumed. Thanks a lot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol