BotW “000” requests an update on an offline 3.0.1 console

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Talvis, May 5, 2018.

1. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    I have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, It's 000 as well. And it asks me to update. It also allows me to just "Start Software" I don;t know why. It should be a launch cart...

2. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    It knows there's an update, but it won't force it on you. Some games close if they can't get an update. Nintendo.

3. mikefor20

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    How? Cart is 000 and its on airplane/switchbrew DNS? Zelda doesn't prompt me....

4. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Did your Switch ever go online?
    Did your purchase MK8D new?

Is Zelda 000, 001, or 002?

5. igivenup

igivenup Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2012
    United States
    No? Anything below 4.1 will eventually have a software only solution. This means an untethered exploit.

6. mikefor20

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Okay then. Zelda is 000. I have had it since launch. MK8D I bought used. It's 000. Switch is a 1.0 updated to 3.0 launch model.

Last edited by mikefor20, May 8, 2018
  7. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    "In June 2017, an enhanced Nintendo Switch port was announced under the title Pokkén Tournament DX, which was released worldwide on September 22, 2017." -meaning, 3.0.0 was released somewhere close to this date.

"IGN NEWS / 20 JUN 2017
    NINTENDO SWITCH: SYSTEM UPDATE 3.0.0 RELEASED, ALL THE NEW FEATURES AND FIXES"

"Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, officially announced on January 12, 2017 and released on April 28, 2017"

I can't math this for you....because...reasons, but are you seeing what I'm getting at? Do you know about FW and how it (Switch) knows that a game should have an update?

8. mikefor20

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom

I am vaguely familiar with the switch update methods. I think you are trying to say,

• MK8D released April 28 2017, 3.0.0 arrived later on June 20th 2017,000 revision of the cartridge could not have 3.0.1+ on it
    • The switch is prompting me to update MK8D. It knows there is an update because 3.0.0 was released after MK8D.
    • 3.0.0 has a list of titles with "known updates" that the system references
    • The Switch is prompting me to download the MK8D update NOT an updated System Menu?
    Is that correct? It allows me to play my game so I assume its not really a System update?

What happens if I accept it? I will figure out it's not able to connect to Ninty servers and give up? I'm not gonna do it but for shits and giggles, just wondering.

9. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    More like, when Switch has an update, I believe it gets a list of games that should have an update, so when you go online, it sees that you "should" update your cart to this new version released.

Some games let you bypass the game/system update; other games will force-quit until you DL the update for the system itself.

It definitely goes more in-depth than I'm describing, but that's a general, severely summarized gist of what's going on.

10. binarymelon

binarymelon Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2017
    Canada
    Does the transfer update data use an ad-hoc network or could this in theory work over a VPN?

11. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I think Switch uses local connections/ad-hoc. I've never tried it (planned on having to, but ended up with a 002 cart, which nullified the need to transfer data between Switch units), but I guess Nintendo support/someone who's initiated cart update transfers would give you a definite, clear answer.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire, May 8, 2018
  12. binarymelon

binarymelon Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2017
    Canada
    Yeah, it appears to be through an ad-hoc wifi network. Which I guess it makes sense as it's probably meant for users without or limited internet bandwidth.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  13. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Not everyone wants to open up their Joycon.

14. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    U don't need to open anything lol...

Use a cable just touching pin 10 and the other tip touching Switch's cooling fins which are ground...

Or making a custom jig with paperclip or making a 3d printing one or buying one cheap which is as easy as connecting the joy-con...

15. binarymelon

binarymelon Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2017
    Canada
    There's no way to fix this as of yet is there?

16. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I'd sincerely create a WTT/WTB (want to trade/buy) thread for this, if you want a faster solution. Someone could have a 002 cart and have their Switch on the latest FW, meaning, they will update the 000 cart.

Although, investigate the lowest FW requirement for 002.

17. binarymelon

binarymelon Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2017
    Canada
    I broke down and updated.

18. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Well, at least TX has you covered.