Bottom Screen discoloration?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by usemytoes, Feb 15, 2007.

Feb 15, 2007
  1. usemytoes
    OP

Newcomer usemytoes Newbie

Canada
    Basically my bottom seems kind of discolored. I just got my DS and was wondering if this is suppose to be happening? The white isn't nearly as clear, and it kinda of looks multicolorish on white (you know when you clean your monitor with water, and left over is little drops of water that are different colors? Hard to explain, I probably sound like I'm on acid.)

What I'm getting at is that the white isn't nearly as true as the top screen, and nor are some other colors. Is this right?

2. Volsfan91

Member Volsfan91 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My black DS Lite is pretty much the same. I think I might call and RMA it.

3. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my black ds lite seems to show different white color alittle less true as u call it. i don't mind it though.

4. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    The black DS apparently has a filter layer on the touch screen, making it a little discolored, but blocking reflection/glare (Big-N has previously told people that it is normal).

I have yet to see a black DS without a slightly discolored bottom screen, but I have only had a chance to closely examine 3 so far. If your buttons work correctly, the hinge isn't cracking, and your touch screen isn't off kilter... I say be happy.

5. Volsfan91

Member Volsfan91 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Now that you mention that filter deal on the bottom screen, my screen does physically feel different too. It feels like, as you said, there's another layer. When I touch the touchscreen, it's like I can feel it there, and it kind of bends.

6. usemytoes
    OP

Newcomer usemytoes Newbie

Canada
    It's a white DS, I'm gonna email nintendo. I bought a warranty when I got it, so I think I'd be good to return it if there was a problem.

7. strummer12

Member strummer12 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It's normal. My launch white is like that. It's because Nintendo uses 2 different types of touch screens. Grid is clear, but not as responsive. Grainy is responsive, but grainy and discoloured. It's easier to see on the black Ds because of the contrast between the black and screen.

8. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    Yup it's normal. You'll never see it in games anyway, unless it's a truly just black and white colored game. Be thankful that you didn't get one with stuck pixels.

You can set the brightness level to 4 to ease the color tint.

9. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    tru dat homie. i'm very lucky i got no dead pixels. Big Up Yourself

10. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Yeah, my blackie has a discoloured(?) bottom screen too, so I can back that up.
    Also totally agree..... everything else is fine on it, and you don't notice the difference in the games so what the hell.

11. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Does it only happen on Black Lites? Cause mine white doesn't have any discoloration.

12. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

It happens on all Lites. I've had 2 Whites one with a discoloured bottom screen and I've had 4 Black, 3 with discoloured bottom screens and my latest one has a discouloured top screen.

13. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    I have a white lite with a normal touch screen. I also have a black with a discolored touch screen. Would it be possible to switch them out?

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I have a black DSlite and the touchscreen is slightly discolored. Doesn't bother me as long as there are no dead pixels I'm good.

15. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Is there a screenshot, that can show the discoloration? thanks.

16. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Basically, it's a VERY SLIGHT discoloration, but it's there. On the white boot-up screen, the bottom screen looks a little off-white. When you have multiple colors blazing across the screen, you don't notice it at all.