Boss of Xbox discusses the idea of implementing cross-platform account bans

869668b08e.jpg

In recent times, Xbox has been a major part of cross-platform play becoming more of a standard. Phil Spencer, the CEO of Xbox, has made it no secret that he wants to see gamers across all consoles, whether it's Nintendo, Sony, PC, or Xbox, all play together. However, online play isn't the only thing he might want the platforms to share. In an interview with the New York Times, Phil Spencer discussed the concept of the "metaverse" and toxic communities in the gaming space.

In regards to harassment, Spencer had an idea for a solution: cross-platform bans. He noted that it would be difficult to pull off, but having players be banned from one service and then subsequently others, would reduce bad behavior online.

Something I would love us to be able to do--this is a hard one as an industry--is when somebody gets banned in one of our networks, is there a way for us to ban them across other networks?

A secondary concept he considered was having a "blocked user list" that would carry over from Xbox Live to PlayStation Network, and everything in between, easily allowing for users to avoid harassment across all platforms. Currently, Microsoft is working on an AI that can monitor game chats, and can even detect when conversations begin to "get to a destructive point".

:arrow: Source

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saw a image of a guy banned from Forza for "non-consentual sexual imagery"

He made a basic looking image of a babe on his car. Like the classic aeroplane pin up ladies. Fully clothed. Literally nothing wrong with it. Banned.

This idiot wants him banned across all platforms for idiotic reasons like this? Say the wrong word that offends someone and have thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of saves ripped from you?

Fuck off
Yup, I posted that earlier in this thread. They ban people over stupid shit. Also, of course you cannot appeal your ban.

This is the same guy who bans people for funny cars in Forza 5. No fun allowed!

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/01/forz...-7978-years-over-kim-jong-un-livery-15696748/

https://www.aroged.com/2021/11/26/t...5-for-8000-years-for-arts-with-girls-in-cars/

Also, don't forget when Xbox """accidentally""" revoked everyone's dev mode, and tried to raise the price of Xbox Live Gold, and had to backtrack, after people roasted them.

Reactions: Purple_Shyguy

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Because AI is useless when it comes to comprehending humor/satire, emotion, and context. It's no better than flipping a coin in certain scenarios. The decision to devalue a customer's purchase by banning them from online functionality, or the decision to ban them from altogether accessing a game they've purchased, is not one that should be left up to chance. They'd be inviting a lot of lawsuits that way.

Thankfully I don't see Sony, Nintendo, or Valve going along with this harebrained scheme to make cross-platform bans a reality.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd like to be able to import my friend's contacts across services, with the unwanted ones being left out if marked as unwanted.

In the end, its this what he is saying. Most of you missed the mark.

The AI is already in effect, fellas. It doesn't ban you, but marks you to be analyzed by a human later. That's why sometimes you are not banned on the spot.

Twitch bans you immediately with its AI, with dubious flagging most of the times.

I don't mind, because I rarely interact in gaming and mostly play single player games, but having all my contacts in all platforms would be nice, if they had accounts there.

Like those messenger apps: "hey, let's access you contacts to add them here. We'll sell their emails later."

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently, Microsoft is working on an AI that can monitor game chats, and can even detect when conversations begin to "get to a destructive point".
Cross-platform bans monitored by a bot is actually a bad idea, considering they also include the very fluid "hate speech" filters in there. What one person considers derogatory may not be to another, and thus trying to filter it all out would actually be very limiting, and quite possibly the bot would incorrectly detect wording and delete conversations that are actually beneficial. I've had this happen before.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
This is not going to go well. If the potential punishment is being banned from online services across all platforms, then every case has to be manually reviewed by a human.
This is a stupid idea even for their own regard. Good luck trying to pass this in Europe with GDPR. Are they gonna exclude a whole continental market in this?

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Because AI is useless when it comes to comprehending humor/satire, emotion, and context. It's no better than flipping a coin in certain scenarios. The decision to devalue a customer's purchase by banning them from online functionality, or the decision to ban them from altogether accessing a game they've purchased, is not one that should be left up to chance. They'd be inviting a lot of lawsuits that way.

Thankfully I don't see Sony, Nintendo, or Valve going along with this harebrained scheme to make cross-platform bans a reality.
I hope Xi Jinping reads this ;)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a stupid idea even for their own regard. Good luck trying to pass this in Europe with GDPR. Are they gonna exclude a whole continental market in this?
I don't know that GDPR would bother things any more than it would individually, and I am sure even if it did then they would be able to do some workaround like then subscribing to a service (which they collectively own) or classing things as a joint venture (not like they are not variously in each other's business time and time again already).
I can already buy in blacklist IP addresses, email block lists and whatever else.

As far as the failings of AI word detection then I still like
https://www.theregister.com/2005/06/03/bofh_2005_episode_18/

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
thats the thing though if the add cross ban for hacking in the mix i can see a lot of lawsuits piling up if they impliment that (even sony's cross gen ban for ps3-5 is unjust sure it sounds good to them but just because i hacked my ps3 doesn't mean I'll hack my ps5 but by doing that it'll make me want too then (as i said i use different account's for that reason i used a burner account during the hen days/ pre evilnat 4.88 to activate my profile now due to evilnat 4.88 you don't even need a psn account at all just a local user to activate to use .rap files/psn games

My hacked and banned 3DS didn’t get my Switch banned. And then when I hacked my Switch and that got banned, my other Switch, unhacked but using the same Nintendo account, hasn’t been banned.

I don’t think they want to ban you outright forever because then they lose a customer. They just want to ban specific systems that can play pirated content.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And no company wants to employ humans for moderation for various reasons (mostly greed). They also love having bans be 100% irrevocable as it simplifies things for them.

Anyone who supports this in any capacity should be forced to experience an automated "no-reason" Google account ban first hand and be forced to go through the process of attempting to appeal it.
"They also love having bans be 100% irrevocable as it simplifies things for them."

Ah so corporations have the same mentality of shitty discord mods, good to know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.