Boss of Xbox discusses the idea of implementing cross-platform account bans

869668b08e.jpg

In recent times, Xbox has been a major part of cross-platform play becoming more of a standard. Phil Spencer, the CEO of Xbox, has made it no secret that he wants to see gamers across all consoles, whether it's Nintendo, Sony, PC, or Xbox, all play together. However, online play isn't the only thing he might want the platforms to share. In an interview with the New York Times, Phil Spencer discussed the concept of the "metaverse" and toxic communities in the gaming space.

In regards to harassment, Spencer had an idea for a solution: cross-platform bans. He noted that it would be difficult to pull off, but having players be banned from one service and then subsequently others, would reduce bad behavior online.

Something I would love us to be able to do--this is a hard one as an industry--is when somebody gets banned in one of our networks, is there a way for us to ban them across other networks?

A secondary concept he considered was having a "blocked user list" that would carry over from Xbox Live to PlayStation Network, and everything in between, easily allowing for users to avoid harassment across all platforms. Currently, Microsoft is working on an AI that can monitor game chats, and can even detect when conversations begin to "get to a destructive point".

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Currently, Microsoft is working on an AI that can monitor game chats, and can even detect when conversations begin to "get to a destructive point".
This is not going to go well. If the potential punishment is being banned from online services across all platforms, then every case has to be manually reviewed by a human.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not going to go well. If the potential punishment is being banned from online services across all platforms, then every case has to be manually reviewed by a human.
And no company wants to employ humans for moderation for various reasons (mostly greed). They also love having bans be 100% irrevocable as it simplifies things for them.

Anyone who supports this in any capacity should be forced to experience an automated "no-reason" Google account ban first hand and be forced to go through the process of attempting to appeal it.

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
lmao, i can't believe there are performance issues and bad code writing, and this is what the executives think that will make more sales, this industry is ran by a bunch of morons.

Reactions: LeeNose

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome, a bot picked up I said a slur once on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe VC and all of a sudden I'm permanently banned from PS Plus, Xbox Live, Steam community features, Discord, Twitter, itch.io, YouTube, Skype, Newgrounds, MySpace, Match.com, WhatsApp, and even my local KFC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: