Borderlands 3 launches this September, PC version to be exclusive to Epic for 6 months

Following quickly on the heels of the Borderlands 3 reveal trailer which took place less than a week ago, Gearbox has decided to give fans the release date of their upcoming game. On September 13th, Borderlands 3 will launch on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with the latter having an initial release that is exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Steam players will still get a chance to play the game, though it'll be six months after the game launches, in April 2020.

Outside of the platforms and exclusivity agreements, a new trailer explains that co-op will be a focus, as it was in previous entries, with 3 adding a new feature which will allow enemies to scale up and down to each player's specific level. There will also be four versions of the game, the standard, deluxe, super deluxe, and the Diamond Loot Chest Collector's Edition. The Deluxe Edition will come with extra cosmetic skins, the Super Deluxe Edition includes the Borderlands 3 Season Pass, and the Collector's Edition features physical extras, such as a loot chest replica, character figurines, a map, and more.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: damiano2712 and Xzi

MoralHD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the only upside of this is that they’re helping gearbox implement the elegant cross platform play fortnite has. I wonder if PlayStation will be hesitant of letting this game be crossplatform though :thinking;

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still at a loss when it comes to understanding the dislike of Epic. They are another DRM system/account setup -- I am sure we all have dozens for one off things here and there. Is this not similar?
AFAIK most PC gamers primarily use Steam for games, and don't want to install another launcher with less features.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I am still at a loss when it comes to understanding the dislike of Epic. They are another DRM system/account setup -- I am sure we all have dozens for one off things here and there. Is this not similar?
It would fine if they were trying to compete with Steam in an organic manner, on a feature-by-feature basis. Instead they've decided that customers don't matter and they only care about pursuing exclusivity deals with greedy publishers. Well, sorry Tim Sweeney, but people aren't going to keep using a glorified web browser to buy games if piracy comes with more convenience.

For reference, here's everything that's missing from the Epic Games launcher:

RmoCukI.jpg

Some of these aren't the most necessary features, but EGL somehow didn't even manage to include offline support and library sorting. Both of which are absolutely essential for any halfway decent launcher.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Epic has paid our entrance fee so it's free for the first six months, you say? How generous of them.
Eh. I'll hold out. I've got other games to play til then.. Could actually beat Borderlands 2 for once..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm also at a loss... Of $500 because of their lack of BASIC SECURITY FEATURES. Customer service is a joke. The launcher isn't the issue. It's Epic and how they're running things.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Eh. I'll hold out. I've got other games to play til then.. Could actually beat Borderlands 2 for once..
Yeah, fair enough. I like Borderlands but I've never been a die-hard fan, so I can probably wait the six months. The Outer Worlds is a different story, though. I'm not waiting a year to play that one, so TPB exclusive it is.

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would fine if they were trying to compete with Steam in an organic manner, on a feature-by-feature basis. Instead they've decided that customers don't matter and they only care about pursuing exclusivity deals with greedy publishers. Well, sorry Tim Sweeney, but people aren't going to keep using a glorified web browser to buy games if piracy comes with more convenience.

RmoCukI.jpg

Some of these aren't the most necessary features, but EGL somehow didn't even manage to include offline support and library sorting. Both of which are absolutely essential for any halfway decent launcher.
Nice photo but add the time each store has been ooen to the public and then compare..

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nice photo but add the time each store has been ooen to the public and then compare..
Uhh...why? Epic has to compete with Steam as it is now, not as it was on launch. They specifically chose to rush it out the door under-featured and underdeveloped because they simply DGAF about the customer experience. They believe customers will follow the exclusives over to their launcher, no matter how shitty it is.

renjiVII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

RmoCukI.jpg

I'm pretty sure for the refund part, I heard from somewhere that epic doesn't always give back a full refund for a game you bought from their store.

AS for BL3, I rather just wait for the 6 month period to come to steam than to use the Epic store.

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhh...why? Epic has to compete with Steam as it is now, not as it was on launch. They specifically chose to rush it out the door under-featured and underdeveloped because they simply DGAF about the customer experience. They believe customers will follow the exclusives over to their launcher, no matter how shitty it is.
Lol the customers will dont worry

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That logic doesn't apply as Epic has been around long enough to know better. They're not some startup looking to make it big. They're making bank off of Fortnite. You're going to try and tell me they couldn't have added a full featureset to their launcher? There's a lot wrong with that...

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Lol the customers will dont worry
Some will, perhaps, but people are starting to get frustrated by all the different digital distribution services popping up, and piracy is on the rise again as a result. Metro Exodus' piracy numbers are downright staggering. At this rate it won't be long until PC gaming is right back where it was in the early 2000s.

GabeN hit the nail on the head eight years ago:

Escapist said:
"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

The proof is in the proverbial pudding. "Prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become [Steam's] largest market in Europe," Newell said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.