Borderlands 3 launches this September, PC version to be exclusive to Epic for 6 months

Following quickly on the heels of the Borderlands 3 reveal trailer which took place less than a week ago, Gearbox has decided to give fans the release date of their upcoming game. On September 13th, Borderlands 3 will launch on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with the latter having an initial release that is exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Steam players will still get a chance to play the game, though it'll be six months after the game launches, in April 2020.

Outside of the platforms and exclusivity agreements, a new trailer explains that co-op will be a focus, as it was in previous entries, with 3 adding a new feature which will allow enemies to scale up and down to each player's specific level. There will also be four versions of the game, the standard, deluxe, super deluxe, and the Diamond Loot Chest Collector's Edition. The Deluxe Edition will come with extra cosmetic skins, the Super Deluxe Edition includes the Borderlands 3 Season Pass, and the Collector's Edition features physical extras, such as a loot chest replica, character figurines, a map, and more.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: damiano2712 and Xzi

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
A monopoly is defined as:

the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.

This means that Steam is not a monopoly as there are other sources for your games. Epic are monopolising BL3 and all the other games they are buying exclusivity contracts for as they will be the only place from which you can buy the game. I don't understand why people are finding this a difficult concept to understand.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's only a matter of time until this kind of unnecessary exclusivity to build improve the """competition""" between rival gaming stores sparks an anti-trust. I hope that the few extra users this will bring to Epic's platform to them is worth the polarisation that this will cause.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A monopoly is defined as:

the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.

This means that Steam is not a monopoly as there are other sources for your games. Epic are monopolising BL3 and all the other games they are buying exclusivity contracts for as they will be the only place from which you can buy the game. I don't understand why people are finding this a difficult concept to understand.

In some cases it might be bordering hyperbole but to say Steam does not have a massive amount of clout within the gaming market would be an understatement of considerable degree. Trying to play the latest and greatest of the PC market, be it indy or the blockbuster stuff from the biggest devs, without Steam or doing the pirate bit is rather difficult. I don't know if I would quite go so far as to say de facto monopoly but I would say they could do with being taken down several notches. Epic might be cunts but if they can do that while walking the line then so much the better.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Subtle Demise

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if the Epic launcher has better DRM than Steam as well. I haven't seen any of those Epic exclusive games up in the usual places (or I just missed them). I wonder if this is another incentive offered to publishers. Seeing that bypassing Steam is as simple as replacing a .dll file.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a lot of people would be happy with an all in one launcher (such as playnite or launchbox) (I prefer playnite) that could also close each drm after another is opened or handle specific instances. Maybe a few other small things. Maybe I'll get to it in the future

Deniii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GabeN hit the nail on the head eight years ago:

He didn't hit anything. The things he claims are not a preblem, actually are a problem. And there are other circumstances that lead people to piracy.
It's always the same with him: he talks crap and the valve fanboys believe and applaud anything he says.

I don't use steam. I pirate everything that's steam exclusive (that is at least 80% of pc games) and not because of a service problem, and there are other people who still pirate steam games. I'm not saying other people's resons are the same as mine but it shows that "service problem" is not THE cause of piracy.
And if anything, steam helped the piracy scene grow bigger and bigger than before. But I guess "gaben" won't mention the things that are not convenient to him.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's always the same with him: he talks crap and the valve fanboys believe and applaud anything he says.
You must have a very loose definition of "talking crap." Tim Sweeney talks shit, Gabe always comes across as professional and level-headed.

I don't use steam. I pirate everything that's steam exclusive (that is at least 80% of pc games) and not because of a service problem, and there are other people who still pirate steam games. I'm not saying other people's resons are the same as mine but it shows that "service problem" is not THE cause of piracy.
Well you seem pretty certain that it's not a service problem, but then what is the problem? Because you didn't say. I can see an argument for income inequality or wealth distribution also being driving factors behind piracy, but those aren't factors that Valve has any control over.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: