Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Yes.
I hope BootMii can unbrick the BootMii Brick.
I have tested the SaveMii and doesn't work with the BootMii Brick.

BootMii brick :
chart_d.png

Video BootMii brick :

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
FGOD said:
Yes, these are indeed designed to make the wii brick proof. I'm thinking of buying one when it comes out.

they are not getting sold
smile.gif

It will be a piece of installers probably modifying the nand boot section of the wii (was it boot2?)... they already stated they will release this freely...

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
I love how no one bothers to read the youtube video description... here, I'll paste it for you:

QUOTE said:
The very first working test of BootMii. BootMii takes over the boot process of the Wii and lets you run almost anything (even security code, a backup/restore utility, you name it) from an SD card, before most of the system even starts booting. It is a huge step towards "brickproofing" a Wii, as it will still work even if you thoroughly screw up your filesystem. You could even format it entirely and it would still work.

Here I'm testing it with a small program that modifies the boot code (boot2) to boot into the Homebrew Channel instead of the normal system menu. Pop the SD card in, the Wii boots to HBC. Take it out, it reverts to normal boot. Real handy for coders.

To those that claimed that System Menu channels were more convenient (read: saved you a click or two) compared to running homebrew off of HBC: take that! :-)

Sorry for the crappy video. My 5 year old digital camera finally decided to crap out, so I had to film this using my cellphone.

EmperorOfCanada said:
Awesome! That program would literally save me like 3 seconds every time I wanted to run the HBC!
Tell that to all the kids who claimed that (often illegal banner-containing) channels were more convenient than HBC because they saved them three seconds.

ZarathustraX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Highly impressive. A leap in the best of directions for the Wii Homebrew scene. With this working, people will be able to take on more high-risk projects.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
marcan said:
I love how no one bothers to read the youtube video description... here, I'll paste it for you:

QUOTE said:
The very first working test of BootMii. BootMii takes over the boot process of the Wii and lets you run almost anything (even security code, a backup/restore utility, you name it) from an SD card, before most of the system even starts booting. It is a huge step towards "brickproofing" a Wii, as it will still work even if you thoroughly screw up your filesystem. You could even format it entirely and it would still work.

Here I'm testing it with a small program that modifies the boot code (boot2) to boot into the Homebrew Channel instead of the normal system menu. Pop the SD card in, the Wii boots to HBC. Take it out, it reverts to normal boot. Real handy for coders.

To those that claimed that System Menu channels were more convenient (read: saved you a click or two) compared to running homebrew off of HBC: take that! :-)

Sorry for the crappy video. My 5 year old digital camera finally decided to crap out, so I had to film this using my cellphone.

EmperorOfCanada said:
Awesome! That program would literally save me like 3 seconds every time I wanted to run the HBC!
Tell that to all the kids who claimed that (often illegal banner-containing) channels were more convenient than HBC because they saved them three seconds.

still a nice video and damn you guys do great stuff! i hope you guys keep on making wonderfull stuff like this!

marcan said:
QUOTE(FGOD @ Oct 12 2008, 01:25 PM)
that's alright too then i only have to find the stuff and somebody who is good at making stuff like this
tongue.gif
Dude, read. It's software. There's nothing to make.

and what about the display on top of your wii showing the boot? isn't that needed?

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
marcan said:
FGOD said:
that's alright too then i only have to find the stuff and somebody who is good at making stuff like this
tongue.gif

are you saying that we probably wont need that bootmii gcmemcard?

well just put this piece of software into the sd and boot the wii?

cause that just what will help my region-impaired wii.

EDIT: oh you need the channel installed first? that sucks

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
and what about the display on top of your wii showing the boot? isn't that needed?
Why would it be needed? Surely it's just a display he made.

Anyway, interesting stuff. This could be used for some very useful things.

EDIT:
Would it be possible to get the game in the Wii drive to run straight off boot rather than going through the Wii menu too? 'Cause maybe I'm just lazy, but that would be useful.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
jan777 said:
marcan said:
FGOD said:
tongue.gif

yes you wont need any extra hardware.

but first, you need to be able to boot the software that modifies boot2.

so it protects your wii from future bricks. boot2 as it is normally, wont do anything with the SD at boot like bootmii does.

so if your wii is already bricked, i presume you can't boot the software that modifies boot2 through normal methods

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
FGOD said:
That's just a display for debugging. Completely passive. The Wii can't tell whether it's plugged in or not in this case.

jan777 said:
There is no GC memcard. The LCD is soldered into the Wii (there are a bunch of wires sticking out) and you won't need it for anything.

jan777 said:
EDIT: oh you need the channel installed first? that sucks
It's not a channel, but you need to install it beforehand, yeah.

QUOTE(Trolly @ Oct 12 2008, 01:48 PM)
Would it be possible to get the game in the Wii drive to run straight off boot rather than going through the Wii menu too? 'Cause maybe I'm just lazy, but that would be useful.
Given the right patches, sure.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't wait until it's released
biggrin.gif

I have one question about this. It probably has been answered before, in that case I'm sorry. I wanted to know what happened when a Wii with a modified boot2 was updated. Is there any chance that it would brick the Wii? I don't think Nintendo will brick Wiis when BootMii is detected, but it might accidentally overwrite a part of boot2, right?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
OSW said:
jan777 said:
marcan said:
FGOD said:
tongue.gif

yes you wont need any extra hardware.

but first, you need to be able to boot the software that modifies boot2.

so it protects your wii from future bricks. boot2 as it is normally, wont do anything with the SD at boot like bootmii does.

so if your wii is already bricked, i presume you can't boot the software that modifies boot2 through normal methods

As shown in the savemii troubleshooting diagram, in the full brick case with no means of boot the patching procedure should be done in hardware probably using infectus or something... then I guess it covers 99% of current brick scenarios both software and hardware means combined...

I wonder if it's possible to just flash a special nand image for full recovery ( for the ones that don't have their nand backup or keys)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over