BootMii won't load, and homebrew's corrupted.

TiltedWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like the title says, BootMii won't load, and homebrew's corrupted. I was loading IOS off cIOS and my SD card wasn't formatted properly so it couldn't load. Unfortunately for me, my dumbass decided to turn off the Wii. Giving me the dreaded "Exception DSI occurred" message. I could no longer load apps from my SD card, and selecting SD card from hitting the 1 button brought "Exception DSI occurred" back. I knew I fucked up at this point. The worst part is, since I had to load the apps, I forgot to backup my BootMii files. All I have are the key.bin and nand.bin files, and I can't even load up BootMii to attempt to use them. Not to mention this is my friends Wii. Everything apart from homebrew is useable, except the disc drive is broken so it's currently useless. So at this point I'm lost. If anyone has any idea where to even start with repairing this, I'm all ears.

On the bright side, my friend couldn't do anything with it anyway, so all I've done is given him an extra channel he can do nothing with.

Last edited by TiltedWii,

TiltedWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Key.bin and nand.bin is all you really need to restore the nand. Bootmii makes an ini. Let me look at mine I'll post the contents..
Thanks for the info, I just can't boot up BootMii at all though. The disc drive flashes over and over but no matter what article I look at none of the solutions work. The screen just stays black.

TiltedWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you tried using a different SD card?
Wish I could, but the only one I have is a 32GB SDHC card. No matter how many times I format it nothing changes. I have a USB drive but I have no idea whether that would work, I can't get a straight answer anywhere as to whether it would work.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish I could, but the only one I have is a 32GB SDHC card. No matter how many times I format it nothing changes. I have a USB drive but I have no idea whether that would work, I can't get a straight answer anywhere as to whether it would work.
It won't. The Wii only reads from USB through a cIOS or a game that uses USB, like the Guitar Hero series. What you haven't said is if you redownloaded the homebrew apps and copied them onto the SD after formatting or simply copied them off the SD then formatted then copied back, or if you can boot the Wii at all, or if bootmii is installed via boot2 or just an IOS process.

Need to know everything you have done, steps and details.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why were you messing with BootMii in the first place?
Were you modding this Wii for the first time?
Anyway, does the Wii boot to the home menu? Can you access Homebrew Channel ?
Can you boot into Priiloader, by holding the "reset" button on the Wii while turning it on?
For the record, you need to test the sd card, copy everything that's there in to your pc, and check the card with h2testw to see it's not faulty or defective. If it isn't, format it as FAT32 32KB cluster size, copy the stuff you had before, make sure the Homebrew Channel, HackMii Installer files are on the apps folder on the root of the sdcard, and test again on the Wii.
After you did that, post the generated syscheck file here.

Reactions: jeannotte

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's strange.

When I get those DSI EXCEPTION HAS OCCURRED screens is when I have an SD inserted and choose USB with button 1 and vice versa (having USB and choosing SD with button 1)

You definitely need an extra SD CARD or USB to test that one simple thing. I mean it's a common and expected error with the HBC of expecting to load something that's not in there.

I don't think it's a corruption problem. Sounds more like you're having the above scenario.

Also, BootMii won't boot if you don't have BootMii files on your SD/USB.

What I'd do is to perform a System Format to get the Homebrew Channel removed and reinstall it again with LetterBomb or something else. And then doing the PriiLoader and BootMii steps and THEN post the SysCheck.

About your SD card, try using: AOMEI which has a free trial version that will format your SD card. If AOMEI can't format it properly then your only solution is using CMD commands to try to format it... assuming you're on Windows.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

Like the title says, BootMii won't load, and homebrew's corrupted. I was loading IOS off cIOS and my SD card wasn't formatted properly so it couldn't load. Unfortunately for me, my dumbass decided to turn off the Wii. Giving me the dreaded "Exception DSI occurred" message. I could no longer load apps from my SD card, and selecting SD card from hitting the 1 button brought "Exception DSI occurred" back. I knew I fucked up at this point. The worst part is, since I had to load the apps, I forgot to backup my BootMii files. All I have are the key.bin and nand.bin files, and I can't even load up BootMii to attempt to use them. Not to mention this is my friends Wii. Everything apart from homebrew is useable, except the disc drive is broken so it's currently useless. So at this point I'm lost. If anyone has any idea where to even start with repairing this, I'm all ears.

On the bright side, my friend couldn't do anything with it anyway, so all I've done is given him an extra channel he can do nothing with.

How is your SD Card formatted please ?
Is it a Regular or a microSD Card ?

Thank you.😉

TiltedWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It won't. The Wii only reads from USB through a cIOS or a game that uses USB, like the Guitar Hero series. What you haven't said is if you redownloaded the homebrew apps and copied them onto the SD after formatting or simply copied them off the SD then formatted then copied back, or if you can boot the Wii at all, or if bootmii is installed via boot2 or just an IOS process.

Need to know everything you have done, steps and details.
Alright, I installed homebrew on the Wii using letterbomb, after a failed attempt at str2hax. str2hax wouldn't load the dns because I had set it up earlier incorrectly. Meaning at this point I had no internet. I installed homebrew, and BootMii into both boot2 and IOS. I then used WIKIHOW, pretty sure this is where it all went wrong. Partially because of a lack of info given from wikihow. I was following an article about installing Wii games via usb and done all the steps up to this. I installed IOS236 via the installer bundle with no issues. Then I got into cIOS, which went something like this: IOS236 (agree to terms and conditions), - IOS56 v5661 - IOS249 - Network installation - error. Repeated the process multiple times, with no different result. I then made the mistake of turning the wii off. Ran into Exception DSI, and now i'm here.

I formatted my SD drive with homebrew installed without a backup because the article said I didn't need it anymore. The Wii is bootable, and I have or I guess had boot2 and IOS bootmii because I don't know if it was deleted from the formatting.

Last edited by TiltedWii,

TiltedWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I get those DSI EXCEPTION HAS OCCURRED screens is when I have an SD inserted and choose USB with button 1 and vice versa (having USB and choosing SD with button 1)

You definitely need an extra SD CARD or USB to test that one simple thing. I mean it's a common and expected error with the HBC of expecting to load something that's not in there.

I don't think it's a corruption problem. Sounds more like you're having the above scenario.

Also, BootMii won't boot if you don't have BootMii files on your SD/USB.

What I'd do is to perform a System Format to get the Homebrew Channel removed and reinstall it again with LetterBomb or something else. And then doing the PriiLoader and BootMii steps and THEN post the SysCheck.

About your SD card, try using: AOMEI which has a free trial version that will format your SD card. If AOMEI can't format it properly then your only solution is using CMD commands to try to format it... assuming you're on Windows.
I would system format, but at the moment, im unsure as to whether my friend would be fine with that. Also, the problem currently seems to be with the sd card being either incorrectly formatted, corrupted, or missing files, so right now I don't think that's necessary.

TiltedWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why were you messing with BootMii in the first place?
Were you modding this Wii for the first time?
Anyway, does the Wii boot to the home menu? Can you access Homebrew Channel ?
Can you boot into Priiloader, by holding the "reset" button on the Wii while turning it on?
For the record, you need to test the sd card, copy everything that's there in to your pc, and check the card with h2testw to see it's not faulty or defective. If it isn't, format it as FAT32 32KB cluster size, copy the stuff you had before, make sure the Homebrew Channel, HackMii Installer files are on the apps folder on the root of the sdcard, and test again on the Wii.
After you did that, post the generated syscheck file here.
The only thing i did with BootMii was make a backup.
I am modding for the first time.
The wii operates as normal, the wii menu works, however homebrew can't see my apps folder. To me this sounds like my SD card is messed up so i'm running h2testw right now.
I never installed priiloader, so I can't boot into it.
I would post the syscheck file, but I don't have the homebrew or HackMii installer files on the sd card. Is there a chance they'd still be in my LetterBomb zip file? If not, how would I get Homebrew or HackMii?

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing i did with BootMii was make a backup.
Ok, good that you've managed to create one.
However homebrew can't see my apps folder.
Make sure the homebrew apps are on the apps folder on the root of the sdcard, the Homebrew Channel, USBLoaderGX etc.
I never installed priiloader, so I can't boot into it.
No prob, Here's the guide.
I would post the syscheck file
Here's the guide.
I don't have the.. HackMii installer files on the sd card.
I assume you have BootMii installed as either IOS or Boot2, since you created a nand backup with it.

Reactions: Alexander1970

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for the info, I just can't boot up BootMii at all though. The disc drive flashes over and over but no matter what article I look at none of the solutions work. The screen just stays black.
Do you have the bootmii folder with the files in it? If you've lost the files, I think there is a zip with them somewhere.
Also, bootmii is pretty picky with the SD cards it will work with.

Edit: BootMii files https://static.hackmii.com/bootmii_sd_files.zip

TiltedWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have the bootmii folder with the files in it? If you've lost the files, I think there is a zip with them somewhere.
Also, bootmii is pretty picky with the SD cards it will work with.

Edit: BootMii files https://static.hackmii.com/bootmii_sd_files.zip
Alright, I don't know what I did, but the apps are back now? I guess last time I formatted the SD card something went wrong because after reformatting it everything works fine so sorry for the trouble. One last question.

I booted up the BootMii restore and realized I can't use the power and reset buttons to navigate as it needs the konami code. I also realized that I can do the same thing with Priiloader, so my question: Can I power off the Wii while on this screen? Nothing has changed, It's still asking for the code, or to press z to cancel, but after what happened last time, I just want to make sure I'm good to go.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BootMii and the glut of apps on the Wii DOES NOT SUPPORT SDHC...... Mostly. Get a 2GB SD card for BootMii. I have a Transcend 16GB class 10 that BootMii sees just fine but I never manged to get any other SDHC cards fully working with Bootmii. (Or SNEEK) And i have quite a few.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte